Skip to main content

View Diary: Face it Republicans. Obama is the Democrat's Reagan. (264 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  I love this diary (6+ / 0-)

    because I was 12 years old when 9/11/01 occurred.  It was kind of interesting, because at that time my parents watched Fox News at home.  They still had a conservative slant but were not as batshit as they are today.

    Anyway, I was drinking the George W. Bush kool-aid just like most everyone else in the country as he led us into Iraq.  I remember clearly that it was promised to be a very brief operation and although I was still very young, I remember thinking that it might be OK if it didn't last very long.

    Well, months turned into years, and like everyone, my opinion soured on Bush.  Not only were we in a quagmire in Iraq but we had taken our eye off the ball (and bin Laden) in Afghanistan and the AfPak border region.  I watched as supply side economics failed before my eyes as bank after bank essentially failed.

    I cast my first vote for Barack Obama at 19 because he was able to communicate what I was feeling so effortlessly.  Nothing against Hillary, it was a tough campaign and those wounds have healed.  But I have never regretted my vote for a moment, neither that or the vote I cast in Nov. 2008, and I was elated to cast another vote for him in this election.  He's "my guy" and certainly played a pivotal role in developing my political self.

    •  This is exactly how (1+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      jdsnebraska

      my youth turned out politically. Though I was half your age when 9/11 occurred, I still remember the event, Iraq, and the later Bush years very well.

      "If you don't turn onto politics, politics will turn on you" -Ralph Nader; 2000

      by Soviet Reunion on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 11:23:11 AM PST

      [ Parent ]

    •  I was 14... (1+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      jdsnebraska

      And I must say, i had a liberal household (most people in our generation had/have a liberal mindset).

      Seething hatred for Bush throughout those dreadful 8 years, all the way to the bitter end with financial collapse.

      I remember thinking "how can a country so great that it put the first man on the moon end up electing such a poorly spoken, incompetent, race baiting, warmongering, plutocratic, imbecile like George W. Bush?"

      It almost felt like 8 years of alternative reality. "Can Americans be this dumb?"

      So yes, when Obama came on the scene (and for me, particularly after his acceptance speech for the democratic nomination) it was a no brainer. Now, reality makes more sense (McCain and Romney being defeated MAKES SENSE to me!). And in 2012, I was even MORE supportive of Obama (doing fundraisers and whatnot).

      Hopefully, our generation can help turn the country back to the "left" and thus assure the prosperity of 99% of the rest of us (not just the 1%).

      UNINSTALLING MITT ROMNEY..... █████████████ 100%

      by saxoman1 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 01:42:34 PM PST

      [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site