View Diary: Why Get A Bad Twinkie When You Can Make Your Own? (68 comments)

•  I thought it was about jobs (1+ / 0-)
    Satya1

who gets paid if you make your own

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Fri Nov 16, 2012 at 08:03:45 AM PST

•  I'm not buying Twinkies (3+ / 0-)
      slinkerwink, debedb, Eddie L

I thought it was about coorporate greed and shitty food (that is, food that is bad for you, i.e. bad for your body).

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Fri Nov 16, 2012 at 08:05:36 AM PST

•  Lots of people don't get paid when I make (4+ / 0-)

my own food at home.

•  I was thinking about the effect boycotting (2+ / 0-)
      slinkerwink, exterris

papa johns, denny's and the rest of the clowns would actually have on the workers.   So do I keep paying the jacked up price at papa johns so that I support the pizza delivery man?

I think that the dilemma needs further thought and we shouldn't fight each other on how we decide to handle it.

My husband loves twinkies  and I like the idea of may be treating him with a homemade version.  We definitely will not buy any more twinkies, so I guess I'm cutting the nose off of the worker to spite the owner.

What's the perfect way to boycott?

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28 KJV

by looking and listening on Fri Nov 16, 2012 at 08:21:58 AM PST

•  One possible idea is to fundraise to buy (0+ / 0-)

the recipes from Hostess and then sell it to a worker-cooperative factory (if there's one out there).

•  there is no more twinkies (0+ / 0-)

so if you want your husband to have them you'll have to make them yourself

there's nothing to'handle' here. you can't buy a twinkie when there's no Hostess

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Fri Nov 16, 2012 at 08:37:41 AM PST

•  There's no such thing as a free lunch. (0+ / 0-)

Boycotts have impacts (which is why business hates them, and whines, and puts human shields out in front, and insists that they aren't really having any impact).

But if you're not buying product A, and instead buying B, then the company that makes B is getting more business and hiring. So in the macroeconomic sense, it's all good.

And if you think those folks who run the company that makes crap product A in an abusive manner, dumping toxins in the water, actually really give a crap about their employees... wanna buy a bridge?

"Be just and good." John Adams to Thomas Jefferson

by ogre on Fri Nov 16, 2012 at 05:16:12 PM PST

•  Let's see... (3+ / 0-)
      debedb, BlackSheep1, Neon Mama

1.  People who produce, transport and market the ingredients

2.  The power company

The recipe does not call for shoplifting the ingredients, receiving them through food pantries or dumpster diving.

"Politics should be the part-time profession of every citizen who would protect the rights and privileges of free people and who would preserve what is good and fruitful in our national heritage." -- Lucille Ball

by Yamaneko2 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 at 09:32:31 AM PST

•  I thought we were supposed to be mad at (0+ / 0-)

Hostess for closing down the company in response to workers' striking. I don't see how this supports the employees of HOstess who are losing their jobs.

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear