View Diary: Catholic Church trolling kids' facebook pages (44 comments)

•  I suspsect the anti-LGBT stance (2+ / 0-)
    CherryTheTart, Sparhawk

is concistent with the Vatican, with the USCCB and certainly with the local bishop.  The "spying" - if it was "spying" not so much.

People are remarkably cavalier about what they put out on social media.  More than once I've thought about something I posted and deleted it (and I sometimes wish I could do that here)

If It was me, I'd overlook it.  I think it was petty and vindictive to do otherwise.  But I can't say that it was RCC policy, that's all I'm saying.

If you think you're too small to be effective, you've never been in the dark with a mosquito.

by marykk on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 07:23:28 AM PST

•  As for spying, I have two words for you and (2+ / 0-)
      marykk, equalityrules

those are SSLstrip and arpspoof.  Combined with free church wifi she could have all their facebook passwords (or at least session IDs) with nothing but an old beat up laptop from the thrift store.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 08:21:14 AM PST

•  Really? I didn't know that. (2+ / 0-)

Although I certainly don't doubt you.  Of course she could also have just friended the whole confirmation class as well, or some or all of them may have their privacy settings wide open.  My kids' pages are pretty buttoned-up, but their friends? OMG.

My point is simply to avoid speculation.

by marykk on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 08:26:34 AM PST

•  Yes, arpspoof tricks the other computers (1+ / 0-)
          marykk

on the network into thinking your laptop is the router/gateway.  SSLstrip is a http (web) proxy that rewrites all links that use https so they use http instead (and adds a favicon that looks like a lock).  Hell, there is even an Android app (requires root, though that isn't too hard) that combines all of it into one little portable package so all someone has to do is connect to the wifi network and tap a few icons to turn it on.  No need to know how to use the Linux command line (which is still not that hard, especially if you have ever used DOS before) like you do with sslstrip/arpspoof.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 08:30:31 AM PST

•  Oh, yeah, I knew that. Of course ! : ) (0+ / 0-)

by marykk on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 08:32:23 AM PST

•  I am sorry if that is a bit too technical for (1+ / 0-)
              marykk

you but there is really no other way to explain it.  What you need to know is that you need to be sure you are using WPA2 encryption rather than WPA or WEP and that you have the "wireless protected setup" or "one touch setup" feature disabled.  Also, see if your router has a setting to protect against "arp spoofing" (just google "arp spoofing " without the quotes) and turn it on which will make it slightly harder for that attack to work.

If you don't do that (use WPA2 and disable WPS/one touch setup) then anyone who knows what they are doing and can get within a few hundred feet of your house (like in a car/van sitting on the street) can get into your kids facebook pages.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 08:37:25 AM PST