View Diary: Library need your support. :-) (75 comments)

•  This is what I do (4+ / 0-)

I am part of the team that builds the budget for a Department.  Right now everything is confidential, but these are the months that the administration is running around testing ideas for the upcoming Governor's Budget.

"I watch Fox News for my comedy, and Comedy Central for my news." - Facebook Group

by Sychotic1 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 01:37:57 PM PST

•  I am enthused to see a tuition reimbursement (2+ / 0-)
      Sychotic1, George3

for some state University students whose tuitions were raised in August; now, due to Prop 30 passing, the difference (about $250) is being refunded by some institutions. Also, some courses which had been held for funding and now being given the green light. That part is still confidential though ;)

•  Doesn't that represent (1+ / 0-)
      George3

something of a fool's errand when new legislation can be passed over the next 6 months that can drastically change what constitutes that budget? I mean, I get that crafting a budget takes time, but it seems like 8-9 months out is a bit too premature. Eh, what do I know . . .

"Lone catch of the moon, the roots of the sigh of an idea there will be the outcome may be why?"--from a spam diary entitled "The Vast World."

by bryduck on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 02:28:46 PM PST

•  Budget building starts in late August (2+ / 0-)
        bryduck, George3

and ends the week before Christmas so that there is time for the Administration to digest and print for the Jan 10 release.  From that point it goes to Legislative hearings for the many proposals (Budget Change Proposals and Finance Letters).  It is a long process and chances for vacation are slim from October through December.

by Sychotic1 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 03:01:36 PM PST

•  Right. So you are (1+ / 0-)
          George3

building a budget for the next year before the current one is even 1/6 through. Doesn't that seem insane to you?

by bryduck on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 03:47:48 PM PST

•  Well, basically you start off with last year's (1+ / 0-)
            George3

actual expenditures and load all that in, which puts you into mid September.  Then you start loading your assumptions for how the current year budget will spend (based on 3 months worth of data and a good instinct for spending) THEN take all of the various requests for money and what you know about what is going on and put together next years request.  THEN the administration does a lot of sausage making and resulting in the Governor's proposal.

Things that are unknown that early are submitted as what is called "Finance Letters" in March.  They are not included in the Governor's budget, but go straight to the Legislature with the blessing of the Department of Finance, so there is a mechanism for dealing with unknowns.

by Sychotic1 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 04:43:53 PM PST

•  Thanks for your inside info. I'm sorry (0+ / 0-)

the rec button has disappeared!

by bryduck on Mon Nov 19, 2012 at 09:37:07 AM PST