View Diary: The Hobbit in illustration and translation (40 comments)

•  I'm always worried that a movie version will (5+ / 0-)

establish the image of a story permanently and alternative ideas will not prosper.  My concern is that the motion picture as a medium will be too realistic, if I can use that term and less dream-like.

You have exactly 10 seconds to change that look of disgusting pity into one of enormous respect!

by Cartoon Peril on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 12:26:35 PM PST

•  In my imagination (4+ / 0-)

I have Bilbo writing The Hobbit and the first few chapters (at least until Frodo and his friends make it to the the Prancing Pony) of the Lord of the Rings.  Frodo wrote the rest of the book, except for the last chapter, which was written by Samwise.  Concerning Pipeweed, however, was written by Merry.

It's about time I changed my signature.

by Khun David on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 01:21:58 PM PST

•  I avoided Peter Jackson's trilogy (2+ / 0-)
      Cartoon Peril, huntergeo

for just that reason.

When I finally watched the extended versions of the films at home, I was mightily impressed.  Except for a couple of over-the-top departures (the cave troll sequence, etc.) I thought Jackson's design crew did a superb job.  Moria, Rohan, Helm's Deep, Minas Tirith and Mordor really came to life, even more vividly than in my imagination.   (Rivendell looked too much like a Thomas Kinkade painting for my taste.)

IMO, the only big flaw in the films was the Ents.  Ents talk incredibly slowly and move slower.  In the books, that's not a problem because you can read through that portion at your own pace, so the story doesn't come to a halt.  But the film version just dies when Treebeard shows up.  Really not much Jackson could have done, I'm afraid.  Leaving the Ents out would have seriously compromised the storyline and enraged purists.

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. (John Cage)

by dotalbon on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 01:46:14 PM PST

•  From a purist... (2+ / 0-)
        Lorinda Pike, Cartoon Peril

I find general satisfaction with Mr. Jackson and give high laud to his fetish for artistic detail, well-cast characters, and general distance (both physical and psychic) from the influences of Hollywood and what that would have meant.

But to the purist part, you are dead on about the Ents, and I believe a different sensibility could have been wrought. Several key landscape visuals miss the mark, too, Weathertop being the most egregious. We are talking about what each of us see after the reading, but it's a conical hill with a wide sweep of road at its base, not some freak-show, knob-of-a-knoll approached by a swamp. Midgewater was days earlier in the journey.

Hey, wait, I have a real complaint. Not if I found it on the highway would I have taken it. So spoke Faramir immediately upon discovery of Isildur's Bane, yet Jackson seemed to have caught a Hollywood cough and tried to better the tension that was quite nicely developed in the book's to and fro between Faramir, Frodo, and Sam immediately after their meeting. In Jackson's rendition, Frodo and Sam were frog-marched to Osgiliath, where only the appearance of the Nazgul scared Faramir straight: Poor embellishment, that, to the detriment of one of the work's most uplifting characters.

Ah, I still give the movies four and a half stars. He can put a notch on my round green door anytime he likes.

In politics you've got to learn that overnight chicken shit can turn to chicken salad - LBJ

by huntergeo on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 06:10:26 PM PST

•  My exact problem with the movies. (2+ / 0-)
          Lorinda Pike, Cartoon Peril

Faramir was not as strong and noble as he is in the book.

Some of the other things that some purists had problems with, such as Arwen at the Ford, or Elves at Helm's Deep, I understood better the reasoning for, and don't think they affected the bones of the story.  But Faramir's characterization rubbed me the wrong way.

•  Faramir's depiction was my problem also. (1+ / 0-)
            Cartoon Peril

And Arwen with too much and too tough of a part. The Elves at Helm's Deep? Whatever.

But a twisted Faramir was really too much artistic license.

And everyone always leaves out Bombadil, because he doesn't "advance the story", and then all that Barrow-wight production time would have gotten expensive.

Bombadil was nice. A sort of non sequitur of a character, but I liked him.

Everyone, rich or poor, deserves a shelter for the soul. -- Sam Mockbee ~~~For handmade silver jewelry, click here.~~~

by Lorinda Pike on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 07:46:51 PM PST

•  Structure (1+ / 0-)
          Cartoon Peril

Faramir's Trip to Osgilliath bugs a lot of fans.  I tolerated it a little more once I figured out the reason for it.

If you think about it, Peter Jackson structured The Two Towers so that each of the three plot threads follows a similar story arc.  Each group encounters a person who might help them, but must be persuaded to do so.  In the case of Merry and Pippen, that person is Treebeard; with Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli, it's King Theoden; and with Frodo and Sam, it's Faramir.  The reason the movie has so many peculiar detours (the aforementioned Trip to Osgilliath, and Aragorn getting lost on the battlefield) was to get all the story arcs to line up so that all of the potential allies were deciding to help after all at roughly the same time.

Faramir still bugs me, but at least I understand why they made him a jerk.

"All the World's a Stage and Everyone's a Critic." -- Mervyn Alquist