View Diary: Wednesdai Woozles (111 comments)

•  I may have made a big mistake today (19+ / 0-)

when I was with my shrink.   First off, I was unusually chatty and distracted and then I had trouble remembering the doses of my antiseizure meds, especially when his nurse kept trying to talk over me.  C'mon--I know what they look like.  What else do I need to remember, especially first thing in the morning?  Anyway, because I live alone way out in the country and because of that stroke I had, plus my bad knee, he wants our local Dep't of Health & Human Services to assign someone to me from Comprehensive Community Services.  I said, okay, I'll talk to someone, but now I'm having second thoughts.

I made the mistake of telling the doctor I'm a hoarder.  What I meant by that was I like to have at least a month's worth of pills on hand at all times.  I think he assumed I'm like those hoarders on TV and have so much crap I've got to walk through little goat trails to get from room to room.  I have chairs full of fabric and a couple boxes full of books and papers but even my neatnik friend said my place isn't even in the same league.  My dog Annie can still lie down almost everywhere.

If I've got to get this house in realtor-shape I've got my work cut out for me.  My living room carpet stinks partly of mold and partly of cat pee.  Could the state take my house away and put me in assisted living?  Worse, could they take my pets away only to be put down?  Should I get a lawyer?

Any jackass can kick down a barn, but it takes a good carpenter to build one.--Sam Rayburn

by Ice Blue on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 01:31:08 PM PST

•  (((Ice Blue))) (19+ / 0-)

I wish I knew the answers to your questions and hopefully someone else will.

I am sending you hugs and good thoughts.
      You are in my prayers.
      Please keep us posted.

Thanksgiving Flowers

All we need is LOVE!

by arizonablue on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 01:41:06 PM PST

•  {{{Ice Blue}}} (14+ / 0-)

I, like arizonablue, wish that I had all the answers that would help you.

Economic Left/Right: -8.25 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54 Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons (or cats), for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

by triciawyse on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 01:48:26 PM PST

•  hugs and good thoughts. n/t (15+ / 0-)

Conservatism is killing this country. Jayden

by swampyankee on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 02:05:22 PM PST

•  Ice Blue, have you tried searching on line (20+ / 0-)

for information about your community's Comprehensive Community Services?
      Good luck.
      Wishing you and your dog Annie nothing but the best.

Mother Teresa: "If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other."

by Amber6541 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 02:06:30 PM PST

•  I'm not sure you have to worry (but IANAL or SW) (17+ / 0-)

I'm always paranoid around the legal system, tho. If your county is very strapped for cash, you may have absolutely nothing to worry about. And I should think you would be entitled to at least one hearing before a magistrate or a general sessions judge where you can demonstrate your competence.

If you can afford a lawyer, see if you can find someone specializing in elder law.

If you can afford a housecleaning service, get them to work around your piles and clean floors, appliances, windows, blinds, baseboards, etc., etc. Also a professional ServiceMaster style deep carpet cleaning/deodorizing. If I had to choose between carpet and house cleaning, and my carpet were extra moldy/stinky, I'd go with the carpet cleaning. I have to think the smell of animal pee would be more troubling to a social worker than a few piles of fabric (but that's just my guess). You can always cop to being a "hoarder" of fabrics.

I've known REAL hoarders, and they are obviously overwhelmed, out of control, and/or suffering from serious clinical depression and/or dementia or other organic brain disease, and sometimes also poor physical health (heart, lung, chronic skeletal pain). Your writing is perfectly cogent, and it sounds as if you are able to find your way in the world quite well enough.

If I were you, I'd prepare a neat list of all your meds and dosages,and put 1 copy in your purse for your next doc visit and another with your meds for when the social worker comes. Then I'd hit the high points first and see if I had energy for the little stuff later. Change the litter box(s); scoop any dog poop from the front yard; mop or sweep the uncarpeted floors; in lieu of professional treatment, sprinkle baking soda very generously on the carpet, broom and/or walk it into the carpet fibers in the moldiest/piddliest spots, then vacuum it up; put Nature's Miracle on the peed-on spots -or- use a pretty stiff baking soda solution, letting it soak well into the pad, dry, then vacuum just a little; surgically clean all food prep surfaces and bathroom fixtures; give the windows a lick and a promise if they have mold/mildew on them; clean or cleanish linens; straighten up and consolidate the piles; and make sure there are at least 3 places for people to sit comfortably.

Then on the day of the visit, primp up a little; air out the house; and have mulled cider with lots of cinnamon and allspice on the stove so the house smells fabulous, even if there is a subtle note of cat pee in the air.

Very best of luck (((Ice Blue))) and pets!!.

YES WE DID -- AGAIN. FOUR MORE YEARS.

by raincrow on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 04:03:05 PM PST

•  My problem is (5+ / 0-)

I have absolutely zero energy.  Walk the dog, empty the litter boxes, cook dinner from scratch and I'm beat.  My monthly SSI payment is only about $750.  I'm too broke to pay someone to do it for me.

by Ice Blue on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 08:08:04 PM PST

•  I wondered when you talked about (0+ / 0-)

cleaning to realtor-quality and hiring a lawyer. Many, many blessings upon you through this time of worry, and after.

The list of meds and daily dosage schedule is very important: it will save you hassle the next time you go to a doc AND indicate to a social worker that you're on top of that aspect of your affairs.

If there's any way you can get 1-2-3 boxes of baking soda on your carpet one day, and vacuum it out (even just a bit at a time over a few days?) to minimize pet smells; consolidate your fabric piles so there's room for you + social worker + 1 to sit (why yes I CAN entertain guests when I please); and clean your food prep surfaces and bathroom, those would be the things I would worry about most if I were facing a home visit/inspection. And I'd still air the house out and mull a big pot of apple juice with cinnamon & allspice. A house that smells like Christmas may cover a multitude of sins... ;D

It sounds as if you do need at least some social services (again, if your county can afford them). If Meals on Wheels is available, the quality of the meals is wildly variable from program to program, but if you have a day where your energy has totally tanked, it'll at least fill your belly. If you don't have a panic button to wear in case of a fall, your DSS may be able to get you one. No telling what low-cost or fully subsidized services might be available -- maybe a little help with housekeeping and laundry once every 2 weeks, or grocery shopping, perhaps through a local church or secular NGO.

Lord love ye, Ice Blue, may it go well with you. And Happy End Of Fangsgibbin.

YES WE DID -- AGAIN. FOUR MORE YEARS.

by raincrow on Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 08:41:30 PM PST

•  gang up on them (12+ / 0-)

If at all possible, have someone with you when Community Services shows up.

For one thing, it'll demonstrate that you have a local support system.

For another thing, it's a good idea to have another person (make sure it's someone calm) to remember (and write down) what was discussed and agreed on.

I honestly don't think your living situation will trigger the worst-case scenario. (This from a fellow book/fabric "collector.") And this may turn out to provide you with assistance to make it easier for you to stay there longer than if you were just on your own.

•  No one can accuse me of being (8+ / 0-)

a cat hoarder.  Though I love all my pooties to pieces, I didn't ask for a single one of them.  They were either given to me, brought to me or, I swear this actually happened, the ran out of the brush in the middle of nowhere, climbed up on my shoulder and wouldn't let go.

If need be, I'll refinance my house to provide for my pets.

by Ice Blue on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 06:38:10 PM PST

•  I'm a little in the same boat as you, but (4+ / 0-)
          Ice Blue, aitchdee, arizonablue, labwitchy

I decided that I should tear out my carpeting (which I should have done when I moved in here 5 years ago).

Unfortunately, under the brown/black shag carpeting is blue shag carpeting, at least in part of the living room. Under some of that is some weird tiles, then badly stained subfloor under that. And the subfloor seems a little soft in a couple of small areas.

Well. Since I don't have a working relationship with power tools to replace the floor, I will have to resort to washing the floor as best I can with something that removes pet odors, possibly painting it with Kilz, slapping some peel-and-stick tiles or sheet vinyl over that, short-sale the damn house and get the hell out (which I actually plan to do anyway).

The people who lived here before me had pets that made the house smell bad, so much so that their realtor confided that she didn't think they would ever sell it.

Now, my small dogs haven't done the place any favors. But I hope that an investor would be willing to put some effort into repair and updates, which I cannot afford.

I love sports. Whenever I can, I always watch the Detroit Tigers on the radio. -- Gerald R. Ford

by mideedah on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 07:11:06 PM PST

•  I'm allergic to dust mites. My doc (0+ / 0-)

has been nagging me to rip out my carpeting for years.  I remember what it was like when I tore it out of my bedroom.  I'm not looking forward to that job at all.

by Ice Blue on Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 06:01:46 PM PST

•  Depends on how many ignorant zealots are in (6+ / 0-)

positions of power locally. Personally, I'm a little paranoid, or at least significantly distrustful, of rural governments until I know them personally. So many small towns & counties are hard up for money that they sometimes cut corners on seizing property and once they get hooks in something, they really don't like giving it back. If you can't afford to consult with a family law lawyer then check with Legal Aid and see what they have to say. Hope it's nothing, but the suggestion to have a friend there when someone shows up is a really good idea. Even better if there's a camera phone or little video recorder to document any interactions.

Best of luck.

Information is abundant, wisdom is scarce. The Druid

by FarWestGirl on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 06:35:25 PM PST

•  The people in the Social Services office (6+ / 0-)

are usually the most supportive and helpful in the whole county.  As for our pissant county board members and that...well, I'm used to going over their heads.  The fact I go to my elected officials' listening sessions helps.  I'm not sure but I think once my state's AG told me I had a good case against my own county.  I wouldn't do that, of course, but it sure shook them up.  :-D

by Ice Blue on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 06:57:13 PM PST

•  I remember well your diary (was it (5+ / 0-)

about a year ago?) about your sad and frustrating tale of dealing with the ignorant zealots.  I had recently been through something similar with the IZs here.

by mideedah on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 07:13:33 PM PST

•  Six months ago. And still fighting with them, (4+ / 0-)
          Ice Blue, aitchdee, arizonablue, labwitchy

they've just put off the trial again because they're terrified to have a jury see that they made it all up. We have a motion to suppress everything they took, (because they screwed up the warrant so badly and took things that weren't covered in it), next week and if it's granted then the whole mess will be dismissed and I can start civil proceedings to sue the holy crap out of them.

Hope things have stabilized for you and that you & yours have a great Turkey Day. :-)

Information is abundant, wisdom is scarce. The Druid

by FarWestGirl on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 07:33:12 PM PST

•  I hope you have a great lawyer, and (0+ / 0-)

that someone stands up to the IZs and reins them in.

by mideedah on Fri Nov 23, 2012 at 07:21:23 PM PST