View Diary: Unclear on the contraception (97 comments)

•  "don't worry, your insurance will pay for it" (21+ / 0-)

No, my insurance does not "pay for it."

However, my insurance company does pay, on my behalf for some medical care, from the premiums I pay to the insurance company.  Even then, my insurance carrier frequently has "processing errors" on claims.  I am then privileged to perform a few hours of phone calls, photocopying, waiting on "Hold" and sending letters, resubmitting claims etc.

I've corrected folks on this many times. Insurance companies profit from "we the policyholders."  I pay at least $25,000 a year before my insurance company starts seeing red. The more important issue is that I am part of a class of policy holders who supply a healthy profit margin to the only private insurance that is available to us.

There is nothing free about health care. What is "free" is the ride insurance companies receive because of a lack of regulation. Insurance companies have a free ride from a national health policy that makes makes health insurance accessible to most, but does not make health care affordable or accessible to everyone, or even a majority of us.

sláinte,

cl

Religion is like sodomy: both can be harmless when practiced between consenting adults but neither should be imposed upon children.

by Caoimhin Laochdha on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 07:15:56 AM PST

•  Yeah.... (12+ / 0-)
      "don't worry, your insurance will pay for it"
      As an assh*le doctor said to me, while I kept telling him, NO, it won't. (this for a multitude of unnecessary tests)
      After many hundreds of dollars later, and many bills proving that, indeed, my insurance has/had no intention of paying, I'm stuck with paying for something that there was zero need for.

I think, therefore I am........................... Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose....AKA Engine Nighthawk - don't even ask!

by Lilyvt on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 07:26:47 AM PST

•  But in Istern Block... (4+ / 0-)

Redneck coworker: Hey, Jacek! How awful was the Socialized Medicine back in Poland?

Jacek: Actooly, I luf it bitter than Amerecca's. If doctor only neds to gif you one tist, you only git one tist. Doctor don't gif you tin tists to scroo ensoorence coompenny...

"If this Studebaker had anymore Atomic Space-Age Style, you'd have to be an astronaut with a geiger counter!"

by Stude Dude on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 07:59:38 AM PST

•  I actually illustrated this (3+ / 0-)
        wader, Tfill, Stude Dude

very problem, of doctors blithely assuming insurance will cover everything, in my comic for Kaiser Health News (it's on page 3):

(For the record, this piece was republished here on DK)

•  You can refuse medical tests. (0+ / 0-)

I have never met a medical professional that did not take my financial situation into account.
        I take that back, I cannot afford a physical therapist since mine killed herself.  She used to take the insurance payment and skip the 50.00 c0-pay.  She knew that she would go out of business if she tried to charge people making a thousand a month pay 100.00 a week for care.
        The PTs left do not cut this deal but offer a one time only visit for $150.

•  Well.... (0+ / 0-)
          I could introduce you to one.
          (not really, I'd never do that to anyone)

by Lilyvt on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 07:43:41 PM PST

•  Like many other things, HCR is free, just so long (4+ / 0-)

as you don't try to use it (like someone told me years ago about a very self important person. "He has a lot of influence so long as he does not try to use it")

•  That is a good thing (5+ / 0-)

if we had socialized medicine such as medicare for all you could say good by to all that time dealing with insurance companies trying to screw you. Then what would you do with yourself?

We only think nothing goes without saying.

by Hamtree on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 08:14:45 AM PST

•  What a concept (3+ / 0-)
        wader, qofdisks, Neon Mama
        Take out the skimmer industry, and leave health care consumers & providers with more time, money, productivity and resources.

Medicare for all type systems (France), or regulated, competitive and accessible insurance (Germany) have proved for decades that these approaches
        1. cost less;
        2.  provide better health outcomes; and
        3.  Patients-consumers/health care providers not only prefer these systems, but they would riot-in-the-street if anyone seriously suggested moving to a U.S. style Russian Roulette system of health care.

sláinte,

cl

by Caoimhin Laochdha on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 08:57:29 AM PST

•  Saw a Dr interviewed (2+ / 0-)
        qofdisks, Neon Mama

who said he would welcome just medicare/medicaid. Most of his overhead was dealing with the many insurance companies.