View Diary: Organized Religion is a Protection Racket (69 comments)

•  Amusing. (5+ / 0-)

Ah, so another person draws a connection between the god of the bible and a sort of cosmic mafia boss.

Seems about as appropriate as any theist association.

Personally, though, I prefer an Azathoth interpretation.

•  It's the biggest protection racket of all time. (4+ / 0-)
      Kevskos, ExStr8, Words In Action, NonnyO

Shit, I should get into it.  I can totally invent a way more terrifying hell to threaten people with than the pedestrian horrors of the biblical one.

Just tell people to give me a quarter each - just one lousy quarter - to hedge against the possibility that maybe, just maybe, if they don't worship the god Vloooooooobie through their donations to me, that mystical spiders will crawl out of their anus and devour their soul.

"They fear this man. They know he will see farther than they, and he will bind them with ancient logics." -The stoner guy in The Cabin in the Woods

by Troubadour on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 04:52:37 AM PST

•  It's not about God (4+ / 0-)

It's a story about God's self appointed 'representatives'.

This has been true in all times and religions.

The Fail will continue until actual torches and pitchforks are set in motion. - Pangolin@kunstler.com

by No one gets out alive on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 05:38:17 AM PST

•  Twue... (4+ / 0-)

Until/Unless it/s/he comes and talks to me face-fo-face and answers some of my questions, I remain a non-believer.

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
        Then he is not omnipotent.
        Is he able, but not willing?
        Then he is malevolent.
        Is he both able and willing?
        Then whence cometh evil?
        Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God?”

Epicurus, Greek philosopher, 341-270 BCE

by NonnyO on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 06:18:24 AM PST

•  Of course, that assumes only one supreme God. In (2+ / 0-)

Japan there are over 8 million (!) of them and that's not even counting all the Buddhist ones that may (or may not) exist.  Ever notice that they don't seem to have these kinds of problems and nobody goes apeshit whenever a depiction of Amaterasu is used in movies or games?

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 07:54:03 AM PST

•  :-D I have no idea... (1+ / 0-)
            Troubadour

... who/what Amaterasu is.  Never heard the name before now.

[My historical and cultural specialties are primarily western, so please forgive my ignorance.  Since a supreme deity is something that is a fiction to begin with, I don't go apeshit over any depictions of any of the deities.]

by NonnyO on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 09:18:05 AM PST

•  Amaterasu is supposed to be the Japanese (1+ / 0-)
              Troubadour

sun goddess and one of the most important deities.  She is also the protagonist (in the form of a wolf) of the Okami series of games.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 10:26:47 AM PST

•  Sorry..., computer games... (0+ / 0-)

... are not my thing, so your knowledge in this area is waaaaay above mine.

Go for it, and have fun!

:-)

by NonnyO on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 12:01:00 AM PST

•  Sure it's about someone's silly god. (1+ / 0-)
        Troubadour

I was once threatened by a 4-year old with hell.

She seemed convinced I was going to go there, just because I didn't believe.

That god is a mafia boss.  That child was befuddled by my existence.  Obviously, she was concerned that tha Fathah was going to break mah thumbs.

•  "God the Father" --> Godfather. (0+ / 0-)

by Troubadour on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 01:29:37 PM PST