View Diary: We are thankful for you (138 comments)

•  That election was a turning point (16+ / 0-)

not just for us, but for the greater progressive community. Dkos is a huge part of it, but everywhere you looked progressive "green shoots" started popping up everywhere.

Through Markos I learned that no, I wasn't crazy. The media was out to get the liberals, or at least marginalize them. And that media whores would write anything if given their precious access and a good story dictated to them. Shit, some of them, I'm looking at you Armstrong Williams, were on the WH payroll. And speaking of whores, Jimmy Jeff Gannon/Guckurt anyone?

I'm so totally thankful for dkos that I've been here 8 years and that doesn't make me an addict. I can quit anytime I want and just because I hit refresh every 10 seconds when it goes down it's a totally normal thing to do.

"The scientific nature of the ordinary man is to go on out and do the best you can." John Prine

by high uintas on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 08:33:32 AM PST

•  ROFL at that last paragraph. (5+ / 0-)

The thing that woke me out of my political despondency was the Dean campaign, but finding this place, probably right around the time that Dean got taken down, made me realize that there were people all over the country ready to take control of the political process, educate each other, support each other both emotionally and materially, and work together to achieve a mutually-agreed-upon end (well, that last one most of the time, anyway).

I don't remember exactly how I got here. At this point it doesn't matter. I'm just glad to be here.

by sidnora on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 08:57:59 AM PST

•  Lurking before the Kerry election... (3+ / 0-)
        sidnora, high uintas, Scout Finch

also worked via MoveOn in Philly.

After the polls closed, I went right to this site to see what was REALLY happening and then to assuage the pain of the loss.

Will never forget the palpable feeling of anticipation on BART to SFO and then Philly, and then the complete dejection in Philly and on the plane back to SFO.

That election was the definition of roller coaster...

I was out of the country for this election, but checked in the best I could from the other side of the Pacific. Haven't gone back to catch up on the discussion this time... but overjoyed at the election result, along with people all around the world.

"There's nothing serious about a plan that claims to reduce the deficit by spending a trillion dollars on tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires." - President Obama

by fhcec on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 12:27:15 PM PST

•  I was also lurking (2+ / 0-)
          high uintas, Scout Finch

most of that summer, but was too intimidated by the very big minds at play (trans: Armando) to do more than read. I finally registered right before the election.

I was in South Florida for Election Week 2004. I got the development where my mother and aunt lived (and where I was staying of course) for my precinct on Election Day, and I spent the day reassuring their friends and neighbors, frail little old Jews in wheelchairs and on walkers, that we were going to win.

I may be a coward, but I am very glad that I flew home on Election Night, so I didn't have to face them the next day. It was one of the most miserable of my life.

But at least I had DailyKos to come back to. I remember lots of people on DK that week declaring that they were giving up and leaving the country, but it made me only more determined to stay and fight. And I'm glad I did.

by sidnora on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 03:37:48 PM PST

•  rAmen (2+ / 0-)
            sidnora, peregrine kate

That was a gut punch, but IMO not as bad as 2000. The Supreme Court handed down their ruling one day before my birthday, I was already a wreck after election night and that was the cherry on top of the pile of crap.

by high uintas on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 03:56:30 PM PST

•  No, not as bad. (1+ / 0-)
              high uintas

After 2000, I sincerely felt that the country was a goner, and no one seemed to care or even notice much. But as I said, 2004 only strengthened my determination. And being part of this community played no small part in that reaction.

by sidnora on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 04:12:49 PM PST