View Diary: The truth about Walmart wages (110 comments)

•  I heard on the Chris Hayes show that Costco's (9+ / 0-)

hourly rate is double that of Walmart's. Also, I believe Costco hangs on to its employees (rather than getting rid of them as their wages go up because of seniority) and I think there are also health insurance benefits.
    I love Costco but I'm worried now that their excellent CEO has retired that they will go the way of other companies. I know the original CEO fought for decent pay and benefits for employees when he was attacked by Wall Street investors.

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank

by Tamar on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 01:13:29 PM PST

I live in a Walmart Free Zone...
      I guess we have pretty decent politicians and zoning in Santa Cruz County.
      Aim to make your area Walmart Free too.

Nuclear Reactor = Dirty Bomb

by olo on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 01:25:09 PM PST

•  The Costco here opened 4 years ago we still (5+ / 0-)

see the same people who signed us up. We are getting to know each other by name, kinda nice. Costco's lowest starting wage here was $16-17 per hour and benefits. That is nearly 3 times Walmart. Their CEO isn't paid a fortune either.

The work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives and the dreams shall never die. ~ Edward M. (Ted) Kennedy

by cherie clark on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 01:25:46 PM PST

•  Is that true of the new CEO? The original one put (4+ / 0-)

a cap on his salary of some multiple of the lowest paid employee (but he got bonuses based on how well Costco did). I gather he was very well-liked. A few years ago, I mentioned to a Costco employee that I had seen the CEO on a show (Nightline?) and she immediately wanted to know when it was and was very enthusiastic about him. And she wasn't the manager or anything!

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank

by Tamar on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 01:33:27 PM PST

•  And Costco has better stuff. (5+ / 0-)

Maybe it's because the people at Costco actually care about providing quality merchandise.

•  They apparently make a deal with manufacturerers (4+ / 0-)

and that's how they get low prices. they tend to pick pretty high-quality products.
          I read somewhere that they don't make all that much on their sales since their prices are low -- the biggest part of their income is from their memberships. I couldn't figure out how that could be until I checked the number of memberships: 55 million members in 2009! (at least $50 per membership, you can see how that's a profitable model for them).

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank

by Tamar on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 01:49:56 PM PST

•  Makes sense. (3+ / 0-)
            i love san fran, Tamar, chimpy

I go there about once every two months (whether I'm in the US or Japan), and I'm very confident that I'm getting my money's worth, membership fee and all.

•  Heard of Dollar Stores? Costco used to be the 100 (4+ / 0-)
              Tamar, mithra, chimpy, Eikyu Saha

dollar store for us now it is getting to be the 300 dollar store, I just can't see shopping anywhere else. They are the only big box store that makes sure their meat has ZERO ecoli, they test it and I for one appreciate it. They are very fussy about their chicken too. The model is to offer you the best quality at the lowest price. Their Kirkland band items are always brand name quality, never been disappointed. Their bakery is good, fresh produce lasts 3-4 times longer than what I get in grocery store. I could go on but I think you get the picture I LOVE COSTCO!!!

by cherie clark on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 02:38:55 PM PST

•  I go less often, but I buy a lot. I just went and (1+ / 0-)
              Eikyu Saha

bought a vacuum cleaner -- checked prices online from other places and this was $30 cheaper (and no shipping). Since I have an American Express card from Costco, I get 1% in a rebate, so saved me (including the shipping savings) close to $40 (even including cost for 1/2 gal of gas). Almost enough for a 1 year membership just for that. Both our TVs come from Costco also. And I get the greatest wool socks -- merino & silk, very soft -- not itchy (I usually can't wear wool) and at about half the price for wool socks anywhere else.

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank

by Tamar on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 02:41:39 PM PST

•  A reasonable fear. There was a time when (2+ / 0-)
      i love san fran, xenothaulus

Walmart was noted for its great employment opportunities and support of American manufacturing.   And then Sam died.

"Let's see what fresh fuckwittery these dolts can contrive to torment themselves with this time." -- Iain Banks, The Hydrogen Sonata

by Rikon Snow on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 01:41:36 PM PST

•  Did not know this. I have a Costco close (0+ / 0-)

to my home and I would GLADLY give them my business but  I assumed they were using the same wal-mart model.

What i get when i assume.

"Okay, fine...fer sure, fer sure"

by tinfoilhat on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 02:19:48 PM PST

• Labor (18)
  • Politics (17)
  • Texas (16)
  • Media (16)
  • Environment (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site