View Diary: What the freak ever happened to the common wisdom that you don't mix business with politics?!?!?!?! (256 comments)

•  Must be a thing with pizzas, eh. (16+ / 0-)

Dominos, Papa John's, Little Caesars- all have had political episodes. I wonder if it's because the stuff is pretty addictive.

No matter, I get them from a local Salt Lake City operation, PI Pizza, that makes them as good as I remember Dominos being back when they only had 5 stores in the late 60s, all in Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti, MI. And for about the same price today's chain places charge for a truly inferior product.

Moderation in most things.

by billmosby on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 10:23:16 PM PST

•  Good for you. Yum. (4+ / 0-)
      mamamorgaine, avsp, ms badger, mommyof3

"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues." Theodore Roosevelt.

by StellaRay on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 11:07:46 PM PST

•  I attended Michigan State U in 1970-71, (7+ / 0-)

Domino's would deliver a one topping pizza to the dorm room for a total of one dollar.

...sin that pays its way can travel freely, and without a passport,whereas Virtue, if a pauper is stopped at all frontiers. from The Sermon, Moby Dick

by jts327 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 12:16:37 AM PST

•  You could earn a 3-item large (1+ / 0-)
        BlueDragon

pizza's worth per hour working at a dorm kitchen at the U of M about then. Try that today, lol. I paid my out of state tuition that way, with a little help from an AFSCME represented position at U of M hospital in the later years. 6 plus bucks an hour.

Moderation in most things.

by billmosby on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 09:01:13 AM PST

•  Pizza may be an easy business to start. (7+ / 0-)

I had a boyfriend that purchased an older building that he wanted to fix up and resell. It had a storefront on the first floor and some apartments above. He turned the first floor into a pizzaria and ran it long enough to establish it as a business and sold the building and the pizzaria business together.

The reason he chose a pizzaria was because in a relatively small space you can build a kitchen that makes essentially one product around which the whole business is made. He was a businessman, not a chef. So when he researched the various businesses he could put in the space, there were some tangible advantages to choosing pizza. He was in a college town and he knew there was a ready market for any sort of inexpensive food. His previous business had been a copy shop.

I should probably add "comparatively easy." I don't mean to imply any business is truly "easy."

•  I have worked in a couple of Pizzerias............ (7+ / 0-)

in my younger years. One place was a completely independent, delivery/carryout store in a college town. The other was a sit down, delivery/carryout outlet for a regional chain.

I learned one fact about the pizza business that I am sure holds true today. Pizzas provide the highest profit margin for any food service out there.  Profits may vary some for delivery/carryout stores as opposed to sit down establishments. Some stores use more expensive ingredients than others. Some have higher overhead due to having a fancier establishment.

In general, however, making and selling pizzas is highly profitable.

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation--HDT

by cazcee on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 06:13:22 AM PST

•  Mafia Money Laundring Potential (2+ / 0-)
          cazcee, BlueDragon

Hey we bought flour and water, and we made a million dollars in profits.  Budda boom budda bing.

There’s always free cheddar in a mousetrap, baby

by bernardpliers on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 07:59:10 AM PST

•  Maybe I should have said.................... (1+ / 0-)
            BlueDragon

"making and selling PIzza, LIKE IMPORTING AND SELLING OLIVE OIL,  is highly profitable."

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation--HDT