View Diary: Updated x3 - Fox News: "I feel like I just won the lottery." (173 comments)

•  Yes I remember the money (8+ / 0-)

I remember when we were on food stamps for a little while it kind of reminded me of Monopoly money. And, yes, I was utterly embarrassed every time we had to go to the store. In fact, since my mom was the one who had to pay, I usually would walk away when it came time to pay, too ashamed to be near my mom when it was time to pull the food stamps out.

Time is of no account with great thoughts, which are as fresh to-day as when they first passed through their authors' minds ages ago. - Samuel Smiles

by moviemeister76 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 04:34:28 PM PST

•  I am so sorry. (7+ / 0-)

I know how as a child I hated to be different or to stand out in anyway.

•  Very true. Stigma was terrible (25+ / 0-)

However, these days I am more angry about the fact that we were only ever on food stamps for about a couple months of my life during 1994. I spent much of 1983-1985 virtually starving because my dad was in the Army and either didn't think we qualified for food stamps or was too ashamed to apply. It wasn't until recently that I discovered that we had qualified for food stamps for much of my childhood.

This is why I get so furious at people who call Obama the food stamp president. A huge reason that so many more people are on food stamps is because someone is finally encouraging poor military families to apply for them. Maybe if Reagan had given a crap about folks in the military I wouldn't still be dealing with my fear of starving nearly thirty years after I actually was going hungry every day.

by moviemeister76 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 04:52:59 PM PST

•  This diary has opened by eyes. (14+ / 0-)

I had no idea the impact this has on children, both from a physiological and psychological aspect.

The fact that you were nearly starving while your father was serving this country is so unfair, so incomprehensible.

•  I think the science on it is new (19+ / 0-)

I didn't realize I was still affected as an adult until my husband pointed out to me that I become practically a different person when I'm hungry.

There has been a lot of research done in the past 15 or so years on children living in terrible conditions, both the consequences of chronic hunger and living in constant fear. I was just made aware of this a couple of years ago, and it has helped me better understand why I react the way I do when I feel hunger. It also explains the behavior of children living in poor areas when they are at school. I truly hope this research is applied in the near future, and we get more serious about feeding children.

And I wasn't the only one starving. My dad was starving, too. He often skipped meals so my sister and I could eat. I remember he used to sneak home MREs towards the end of the month just so we all had something to eat. He's paying the price for it now. He was just forced into early retirement this year because his heart has grown too weak due to a lifetime of stress.

People are always surprised when I tell them that this was common for a lot of people in the military in the 80s; especially if someone who enlisted already had a family to support. I think this is a natural result of the fact that the majority of Americans stopped serving after the draft ended, so most Americans are completely ignorant of the reality of military life.

by moviemeister76 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 05:26:45 PM PST

•  Thank you so much for sharing. (6+ / 0-)

This is so eye opening.  When I wrote this diary, I did it because I was mad.  I have learned so much from the comments.  Glad I hit the publish button.

"Why is it that if you're rich and take advantage of a government program you're a smart business man, but if you're poor you're a moocher?"

by DemFromPit on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 05:33:36 PM PST

•  Not just military (11+ / 0-)

I make a comfortable living now, but I am still constantly panicked about money, especially when grocery shopping. I count everything up as I'm putting it in my cart, and literally have heart palpitations over how much it's going to cost.

Whether it's fifty dollars or 300, I panic when I swipe my card.

No matter how much money I make, I can't get over the panic I face when grocery shopping.

That's why I don't understand those "people" who can mock and belittle people who have to rely on food stamps to get by. It's been ages since I had to do that, but the anxiety and terror of grocery shopping remains. I want to get over it because it makes the task of going to the store dreadful, but at the same time I'm glad I've never forgotten.

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

by BoiseBlue on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 06:08:10 PM PST

•  I have trouble keeping track of the exact amount (7+ / 0-)

even with a calculator my dyscalculia gets in the way of keeping a running tab while I shop, I invariably switch a number around when entering it, or forget I entered something and entered it twice, etc. But I've developed a gut feeling for it, sometimes I'll just start putting stuff back "don't really need this right now, this can wait, nope not buying that today.... " And usually I'm right and we're either still slightly over or just under when we ring it up.
                I have very little embarrassment using food stamps, I've worked most of my life and paid taxes. My dad works and has worked, my grandfather worked, my mom works, etc. It's when I get there and find out I don't have enough to get everything I need that I get embarrassed.

by FloridaSNMOM on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 06:42:32 PM PST