View Diary: Midday open thread (37 comments)

•  was the elephant okay? guy should get 2 years (0+ / 0-)

for that. What a psycho.

80 % of Success is Just Showing Up !

by Churchill on Fri Nov 23, 2012 at 12:04:17 PM PST

•  2 years a hit ! (3+ / 0-)
      Churchill, DeadHead, annieli

He needs help that is for sure.

•  The last time I went to (3+ / 0-)
      DeadHead, annieli, Churchill

Ringling Brothers Circus, I started crying when the animals came out, and couldn't stop; my spouse and I ended up leaving way before the show ended. Haven't been back since. It all of a sudden hit me how cruel it was to make those animals perform for human benefit, at least the non-domesticated animals like tigers and elephants; I have no problem with domesticated animals like horses and dogs being trained to perform, oddly enough.

"If we ever needed to vote we sure do need to vote now" -- Rev. William Barber, NAACP

by Cali Scribe on Fri Nov 23, 2012 at 12:32:54 PM PST

•  Though at least they're provided for (1+ / 0-)
        Churchill

I feel the same way about animals in zoos.

There's just something not right with seeing a lion or a bear pent-up like that.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Fri Nov 23, 2012 at 12:41:40 PM PST

•  These days many of the zoo animals (2+ / 0-)
          Churchill, DeadHead

are born in captivity, and thus would be unable to survive in the wild -- I can deal with that. And they provide a way to educate others, especially young people, of the need for conservation of the animals' natural habitats.

by Cali Scribe on Fri Nov 23, 2012 at 12:44:15 PM PST

•  That indeed makes a difference (0+ / 0-)

I wouldn't want an animal born in captivity, who has "forgotten" its instincts for survival, to be released.

It's more of a feeling on a "normally wild" species as a whole, I guess.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Fri Nov 23, 2012 at 01:05:41 PM PST

•  Sea World causes that same reaction, especially (2+ / 0-)
        Lonely Liberal in PA, Churchill

when trainers call mammalian "tricks", "behaviors". Perhaps sex workers should call their clients "behaviors"

yksitoista ulotteinen presidentin shakki. / tappaa kaikki natsit "Nous sommes un groupuscule" (-9.50; -7.03) 政治委员, 政委‽ Warning - some snark above ‽

by annieli on Fri Nov 23, 2012 at 12:46:50 PM PST

•  Gotta tell you an odd story about this (0+ / 0-)

I'd always been fairly insensate to the situations of trained elephants in circuses.

But then, one time I took my family to a middle-sized circus that was rolling through town. They had 3 or 4 elephants. As soon as the elephants walked out, I was dumbstruck.

It was plain to see that these were happy elephants. Their contentment—and even energy and exuberance—were plain to see on their faces.

And it hit me: Did this mean...? Could it be...? That all this time, elephants I'd seen in other circuses were ill-treated, and I just didn't see it?; that I'd been acculturated to assume that elephants just naturally bore these oppressed, dull looks on their faces?

I've never forgotten those elephants. And it's a reminder that anything is possible, even healthy relationships between the trained and the trainer.

Which reminds me: I think we've all known of psychologically questionable practices between human trainers and their human trainees. The issue may largely be one of intent and relationships, being more or less based on love and mutual respect.

Isn't it a good feeling when you see the paper in the morning, it says 'Axe Slayer Kills 19' and you say, "They can't pin that one on me!" - Jean Shepherd

by razajac on Fri Nov 23, 2012 at 03:39:49 PM PST