View Diary: Open thread for night owls: New 220 square-foot S.F. apartments big enough for 10 convicts (115 comments)

•  I can relate (2+ / 0-)
    nellgwen, JeffW

Try shopping for parts to build a gaming computer sometime, if you want some real fun.

Can't give you a recommendation, but I can remind you that you get what you pay for... That doesn't mean you have to get the most expensive one, but, cheap is cheap. I don't like having to throw stuff away because it took a crap on me prematurely.

I've done that... Thought I was saving money by buying the cheaper brand, only to have to end-up paying for the better one I should've bought in the first place.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 09:18:51 PM PST

•  Been there done that. (2+ / 0-)
      DeadHead, JeffW

I went to consumer reports and read about one blue ray player they recommend. A Sony.
        Then I left there and googled that model to get reviews of people that bought it.
         The response was about 50/50.
         The problem with Consumer Reports for me is, you have to know what they are talking about to understand what they are talking about.
         And I don't understand what they are talking about.

It all has to be explained to me as if I was Sarah Palin, and it's embarrassing.

"Is that your vegetarian leather jacket?" George Harrison

by nellgwen on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 09:27:23 PM PST

•  Maybe the problem is, BluRay players suck (2+ / 0-)
        nellgwen, DeadHead

I don't have one and don't plan to get one until forced to, so I can't help you. On the other hand we have hundreds of VHS tapes and DVDs, so we were ecstatic when we were able to pick up a combo DVD/VCR at our local thrift store for $7.

The thought that life could be better is woven indelibly into our hearts and our brains. – Paul Simon, "Train In The Distance."

by Omir the Storyteller on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 09:29:31 PM PST

•  Well I am going to some pawn shops (3+ / 0-)
          JeffW, Omir the Storyteller, DeadHead

and a Scottsdale Goodwill. My mom bought a dvd player still brand new in the box unopened for like $20.

"Is that your vegetarian leather jacket?" George Harrison

by nellgwen on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 09:44:17 PM PST

•  You can get some good bargains (1+ / 0-)
            DeadHead

if you pay attention and shop wisely. I got a Dell 21" widescreen monitor for $10, with an attached full set of speakers. There's not a thing wrong with it. I don't know what possessed the previous owner to donate it, but I'm glad they did. And if it goes south on me (so far it's performed flawlessly) I won't feel quite so bad about it, knowing that I can probably replace it cheap.

by Omir the Storyteller on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 10:00:29 PM PST

•  Goodwill, FTW (2+ / 0-)
            nellgwen, JeffW

Place just rocks. I've found so much good shit there. You really have to be a "regular" to get the jump on the good stuff.

My Murphy's Law of Goodwill:

If you need something immediately, and go to Goodwill looking for it, chances are you won't find it.

When you go again at a later date, for an entirely different reason, after having broke down and bought that thing you were needing but couldn't earlier find, sure enough, you'll then find it at Goodwill for much lower.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 10:20:06 PM PST

•  There's always gonna be a learning curve (2+ / 0-)
        nellgwen, Omir the Storyteller

In my case, I've built several computers, just not recently.

I have to relearn and otherwise get up to speed with the latest tech in order to make an informed decision and get the computer that will do the trick without dropping three grand to do it.

I don't mind doing some background investigation though, it makes me think I'm smarter than I am.

;-)

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 09:38:12 PM PST

•  I know you have to buy a chord to hook (1+ / 0-)
          DeadHead

the player up to the TV. It's not included in the box and none of them are.
            And it will talk wirelessly to my modem/router. And it can hook up to my computer.
            And that's all I know.

"Is that your vegetarian leather jacket?" George Harrison

by nellgwen on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 09:47:10 PM PST

•  lol. You've got some reading to do (1+ / 0-)
            nellgwen

But it's not an insurmountable task. Or you could call the Best Buy Geek Squad and have them do it, but that's no fun!

;-)

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 10:24:19 PM PST

•  I just got caught up recently (2+ / 0-)
          this just in, DeadHead

I was using a computer that dated from 2005. (I know this because I was reading an old diary over the weekend where I talked about building it.) It was getting intolerably slow, even using Linux, so when Newegg had a Shell Shocker of a bare bones computer (mobo, CPU, case, memory only) in early October for $300, I took them up on it even though maybe I shouldn't have given current finances. I'm very glad I did. Things have changed some since 2005, what with SATA, new versions of PCI Express, USB 3.0 and the like, so it was a good learning experience, and now I can run some of my software in real time instead of waiting for the computer to catch up.

I'm not sure how high end you want to go, but if you shop smart you can get a pretty decent computer with several cores (my AMD3+ is a six-core), 8-16GB of memory, maybe a terabyte of HD space and good-enough video for about $500 sans monitor, keyboard, mouse and OS. Since I use Linux the OS is not a problem, and I already had a monitor, mouse and keyboard.

by Omir the Storyteller on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 09:56:23 PM PST

•  Oh, I'm talkin' (1+ / 0-)
            Omir the Storyteller

Quad core i5 processor, z77 express mobo, gtx 660ti video card, 750 watt ps.

Something along those lines. Already pushing one grand without case, hd, or anything else.

I'll likely be pruning it bit, for sure.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 10:30:13 PM PST

•  Are you sure you need a $300 video card (1+ / 0-)
              DeadHead

or a 750 watt PS? You might, but those are two places I would think you might be able to dial it back a little.

I'm happy with something a fair amount more modest, but I don't do high-end gaming. In fact the most exotic thing I do is running Windows in a virtual machine on Linux, and the $50 card I bought handles that just fine. Your mileage, as they say, may vary.

by Omir the Storyteller on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 11:28:02 PM PST

•  Yes, and depends, respectively (1+ / 0-)
                Omir the Storyteller

I have skimped on video in the past, and with games it's critical.

The ps I have tentatively at 750w only for reasons of future headroom, should I want to added another secondary 660ti video card for SLI.

I'm trying to consider long-term upgradability/performance expandability, so I won't have to do this again for a long, long time.

I'm far from settled on anything. Still very much in the conceptual stage.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 12:28:02 AM PST

•  Fair enough (1+ / 0-)
                  DeadHead

All the games I like to play are at least four or five years old, and I don't do FPS or anything like that, so that means I can go a little light on the video card. (Probably the most graphics-intensive game I play is Portal, which gives you an idea how far behind the times I am.)

Which reminds me, I need to find my copy of Civilization IV to see how it works under Wine 1.5.

by Omir the Storyteller on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 12:44:08 AM PST

•  I take that back (1+ / 0-)
                  DeadHead

I do play one game that's more recent than that - Plants vs. Zombies - but it's hardly graphics-intensive. Fun, though.

by Omir the Storyteller on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 12:45:29 AM PST

•  That's the difference (1+ / 0-)
                    Omir the Storyteller

Cutting-edge FPS/RPG are my life's blood.

They need the juice, bigtime.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 12:52:34 AM PST

•  I'm more into puzzle games (1+ / 0-)
                      DeadHead

simulations, that sort of thing. FPS don't excite me. I will occasionally jump into one with my grandson with the absolute sure knowledge that I'm gonna get fragged because my reflexes are horrible.

by Omir the Storyteller on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 01:12:59 AM PST

•  You haven't played a good FPS then ;-) (1+ / 0-)
                        Omir the Storyteller

There are some truly immersive ones. I mean, some of the better ones with a strong single player campaign can really take you into another world. The realism is getting downright frightening.

That's why it makes the different to have a beefy system. You can crank up the texture quality while maintaining a smooth frame rate, and, bam, it's like you're there.

~ Jerry Garcia