View Diary: Open thread for night owls: New 220 square-foot S.F. apartments big enough for 10 convicts (115 comments)

•  Oh, I'm talkin' (1+ / 0-)
    Omir the Storyteller

Quad core i5 processor, z77 express mobo, gtx 660ti video card, 750 watt ps.

Something along those lines. Already pushing one grand without case, hd, or anything else.

I'll likely be pruning it bit, for sure.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 10:30:13 PM PST

•  Are you sure you need a $300 video card (1+ / 0-)
      DeadHead

or a 750 watt PS? You might, but those are two places I would think you might be able to dial it back a little.

I'm happy with something a fair amount more modest, but I don't do high-end gaming. In fact the most exotic thing I do is running Windows in a virtual machine on Linux, and the $50 card I bought handles that just fine. Your mileage, as they say, may vary.

The thought that life could be better is woven indelibly into our hearts and our brains. – Paul Simon, "Train In The Distance."

by Omir the Storyteller on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 11:28:02 PM PST

•  Yes, and depends, respectively (1+ / 0-)
        Omir the Storyteller

I have skimped on video in the past, and with games it's critical.

The ps I have tentatively at 750w only for reasons of future headroom, should I want to added another secondary 660ti video card for SLI.

I'm trying to consider long-term upgradability/performance expandability, so I won't have to do this again for a long, long time.

I'm far from settled on anything. Still very much in the conceptual stage.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 12:28:02 AM PST

•  Fair enough (1+ / 0-)
          DeadHead

All the games I like to play are at least four or five years old, and I don't do FPS or anything like that, so that means I can go a little light on the video card. (Probably the most graphics-intensive game I play is Portal, which gives you an idea how far behind the times I am.)

Which reminds me, I need to find my copy of Civilization IV to see how it works under Wine 1.5.

by Omir the Storyteller on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 12:44:08 AM PST

•  I take that back (1+ / 0-)
          DeadHead

I do play one game that's more recent than that - Plants vs. Zombies - but it's hardly graphics-intensive. Fun, though.

by Omir the Storyteller on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 12:45:29 AM PST

•  That's the difference (1+ / 0-)
            Omir the Storyteller

Cutting-edge FPS/RPG are my life's blood.

They need the juice, bigtime.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 12:52:34 AM PST

•  I'm more into puzzle games (1+ / 0-)
              DeadHead

simulations, that sort of thing. FPS don't excite me. I will occasionally jump into one with my grandson with the absolute sure knowledge that I'm gonna get fragged because my reflexes are horrible.

by Omir the Storyteller on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 01:12:59 AM PST

•  You haven't played a good FPS then ;-) (1+ / 0-)
                Omir the Storyteller

There are some truly immersive ones. I mean, some of the better ones with a strong single player campaign can really take you into another world. The realism is getting downright frightening.

That's why it makes the different to have a beefy system. You can crank up the texture quality while maintaining a smooth frame rate, and, bam, it's like you're there.

~ Jerry Garcia