View Diary: Walmart is downplaying it, but Black Friday protests were historic (56 comments)

•  Low income Republicans (11+ / 0-)

are stating to wake up

.... to how they are being used.

If cats could blog, they wouldn't

by crystal eyes on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 07:53:59 AM PST

•  This Thanksgiving with my parents (19+ / 0-)

We got dangerously close to arguing politics. We were checking the weather at the NWS website, and my mom said "Wow, look at all this information they put out!" I grinned at her and said "stupid government." She laughed, and then I told her how private corporate interests were hacked with the government for providing the information so useful to farmers and others instead of selling it to the public through AccuWeather and the like.

Then, a few minutes later, after the conversation had shifted a bit, I casually mentioned that the top marginal income tax rates back in the 50s, the good ol' Ozzie N Harriet days of America under I Like Ike, were upwards of 90 percent, and my mom looked at me like I had a third eye and called me crazy.

Then she googled it. And she was THERE. Yes, she was a young girl, 11 in 1960, but living during those times. Telling me I need to get my news from more reliable sources.

I think my stepdad knew I was right, but she read it aloud and they both seemed as if they were being confronted with this fact for the first time. She went on to detail how the rate dropped, occasionally, through Reagan and Clinton, and then under Bush, the bottom dropped out. The reason for our currently "broke" government, suddenly choked of what little revenue flow it still had and saddled with two off-budget wars and an off-budget Medicare expansion, became clearer by the minute. It was as if a light came on.

My mom. Always telling me how smart I am and how I research things out for fun...until it comes to challenging her FOXNEWS-fueled anti-government views.

The problem with the American electorate is easily sourced to the right wing noise machine. It has carefully misled, misrepresented and misguided a vast number of thinking people for nearly 30 years, doubling down in the last four. Every little thing you can do to point out where they've been victimized helps them discover the truth. It is essential that we continue to speak up in an age driven largely by those with a vested interest in blurring the very idea of objective truth.

-5.38 -4.72 T. Atlas shrugged. Jesus wept.

by trevzb on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 08:12:04 AM PST

•  I daresay that it is not thinking people who have (4+ / 0-)
        Aunt Pat, trevzb, karmsy, GreenMother

been "out-Foxed" but those who lack critical thinking skills.  Their reasoning is that if they are watching the "news" on Fox, it is like any other news source -- in that, because it has "news" in the title, there would only be facts involved.

-9.88, -7.44 Social Security as is will be solvent until 2037, and the measures required to extend solvency beyond that are minor. -- Joe Conanson

by wordene on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 08:29:26 AM PST

•  Maybe it is worth going home now and then (5+ / 0-)

There are relatives I'd rather not expose the kids to. They don't present any immediate danger that I know of, or even suspect. It's just that they have Foxs News on in their house most of the time. In addition to the misinformation, there's the willing tolerance of misinformation. Plus, I wonder what other social dinosaurisms they might catch.

On the other hand, your story does give some hope that some milder cases of conservative brainwashing might be arrested or even reversed. On balance, maybe it's worth it to visit now and then.

Why is there a Confederate Flag flying in Afghanistan?

by chimpy on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 08:31:25 AM PST

•  Exactly," those with a vested interest in blurring (4+ / 0-)
        Aunt Pat, CherryTheTart, karmsy, Randtntx

the very idea of objective truth".
        On Friday morning,at @7:00 am EST,a headline on Fox News was all about how few Walmart workers had participated in the Black Friday strike. Since Walmart doesn't have a time machine,they were obviously working hard at pre-emptively setting the narrative. Winds of change are beginning to form and Walmart knows it. This is a good time to write a letter to the editor about how Walmart's business practices cost every taxpayer money whether you shop there or not.

"George RR Martin is not your bitch" ~~ Neil Gaiman

by tardis10 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 08:35:28 AM PST

•  In the last election, 60% of (6+ / 0-)

self-identified "white" voters voted for Mitt Romney. That statistic staggers me.

Things get just a little up-close and personal for even a fraction of these people--like working full-time and still needing to choose between buying Pampers, and being able to afford gasoline--that proportion of Republican voters may just go down.

It's here they got the range/ and the machinery for change/ and it's here they got the spiritual thirst. --Leonard Cohen

by karmsy on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 08:14:11 AM PST