View Diary: German Spiegel: "Notes on the Decline of a Great Nation" (317 comments)

•  I have no idea how one could "respectfully" (12+ / 0-)

submit a comment about present day Germany by bringing up Nazi history. Germans know what happened in their past and they've chosen to learn from their own history. I don't think I need to bring up our history.

What I would like to bring up is a couple of interesting factoids like the fact that Germany has 23 times more solar power per capita than the United States. Link. Or how about the fact that Germany's healthcare spending percent of the GDP is 11.6% and ours is 17.4%, Link.

We could learn from them, but we as a country refuse to.

"The scientific nature of the ordinary man is to go on out and do the best you can." John Prine

by high uintas on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 03:43:34 PM PST

•  To high uintas - Great post (3+ / 0-)
      high uintas, The Marti, twigg

Thanks for your support. You're right on the money, I couldn't agree more with what you said in your thoughtful post.

sig...You just ran into a hardcore progressive who's just another working stiff with an MBA degree & therefore a vociferous labor union supporter [smile]

by Democrats Ramshield on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 03:45:58 PM PST

•  I would just love to see our country (5+ / 0-)
        The Marti, a2nite, Pluto, twigg, flowerfarmer

unleash it's competitive spirit in trying to best Germany and some of the other enlightened countries in efficient use of renewable energy and infrastructure and healthcare and education instead of just trying to yell "We're Number One" louder. sigh

by high uintas on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 03:53:22 PM PST

•  I brought it up "respectfully" because it still (0+ / 0-)

exists, these many years later.  I don't create their realism but have experienced it.  It isn't about solar power, GDP, or health care.  Lovely on the Germans for their successes there.  They are still, and should be, chagrined about the treatment they afforded Jews and others not long ago.

I will end there as this discussion is ill fated.  Watch Germany... watch the leadership closely in the not distant future.   Part of Merkel's austerity program harms those who are not German.  History will repeat itself.

Andy's two-timin' tail run off wiff mah sig line!

by nannyboz on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 03:53:39 PM PST

•  They feel much worse about it (3+ / 0-)
        Pluto, twigg, flowerfarmer

than we do about what we did to the Native Americans and the African slaves, IMO.

You can't be saying that they will go all Nazi again when you say "history will repeat itself", right? Plz tell me you weren't saying that! The Germans I know are horrified by what their country did, oh and btw they really don't like dear Angela Merkel either.

by high uintas on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 05:06:19 PM PST

•  Have you some evidence (2+ / 0-)

for this outrageous claim?

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
        but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 11:03:57 PM PST

•  Meh (3+ / 0-)
        high uintas, twigg, Gentle Giant

I can see Buchenwald from my house

Actually, no, there are a couple of buildings in the way: the Greek restaurant across the street and the Bauhaus University, but I was just up there the night before last to let my labrador run without a leash a bit

There are more extremist right wingers in the US than in Germany per capita.  There are far more Eric Rudolf's than NSU members.  The only political danger comes from the FDP "Liberals" who have fallen on their face the last two years.  I expect the SPD to take the reigns in the next elections

I am familiar with the political system here as I have been an active member of Die Linke since 2005 when it was still the PDS

However, as for chagrined, I'll let my wife know she should be - and for good measure, my daughter as well when she is born in January - sins are genetic, y'know

• Recommended (180)
  • Media (23)
  • Education (23)
  • Politics (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Texas (20)
  • Barack Obama (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site