View Diary: Teacher: "You Can't Be A Democrat & Go To Heaven" (38 comments)

•  You can't completely keep religion totally out of (4+ / 0-)
    AnnieR, Gooserock, Munchkn, slowbutsure

school culture, and I don't think that should be the goal, partly because it causes a backlash and more proselytizing  than you would have if people were just able to express their religious opinion.
    However, if the teacher bullied, instigated bullying, or encouraged or enabled bullying, that's different.

The teacher should not use her position to abuse the power relations with students, in this case as well as in cases of sexual harassment. There's not much difference, on the verbal level.

Beyond that, whoever's this teacher's preacher should be ashamed because what she is doing is specificially against the teachings of Christ and is explicitly called out by Christ as wrong.

You can't make this stuff up.

by David54 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 12:00:07 PM PST

•  Actually, I wasn't looking at it from a religious (2+ / 0-)
      Munchkn, splashy

standpoint, but thanks for pointing that out.  It opens up my thought process.  I was thinking more along the lines of "a mind is a terrible thing to waste," or teaching opens a child's mind to possibilities.  And for that I think this woman, as a teacher, sucks, when it's only her point of view without any of the possibilities - same old rightwing propaganda that we've been subjected to for decades now.

"They love the founding fathers so much they will destroy everything they created and remake it in Rush Limbaughs image." MinistryofTruth, 9/29/11

by AnnieR on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 12:05:53 PM PST

•  It's Not Only Religion, It's Politicking. (9+ / 0-)

The statement ties politics to a religious assertion about life outcomes. The statement itself is an abuse of power.

by Gooserock on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 12:09:14 PM PST

•  When I presented leftist historical (1+ / 0-)
        progressivevoice

interpretations was I abusing my power?

A proud member of the Professional Left since 1967.

by slatsg on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 02:44:15 PM PST

•  Could you back up the facts behind your (1+ / 0-)
          slatsg

interpretation? Were you transparent about your view being an interpretation?
          Did you allow and solicit debate, discourse, disagreement?
          Etc.

You can't make this stuff up.

by David54 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 06:52:09 PM PST

•  Sure (1+ / 0-)
            David54

I was rather open about not presenting "court history", but everyone had the opportunity to have their say as long as it was done respectfully.

If the teacher in question was proselytizing and not allowing opposing viewpoints, then she should be reprimanded, but not terminated.

The nonsense about "not following the prescribed curriculum" doesn't impress me. With the coming of the common core, our educational system is becoming more sanitized and sterilized.

A proud member of the Professional Left since 1967.

by slatsg on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 07:23:54 PM PST

•  I think atheists and other 1st amendment purists (1+ / 0-)
              slatsg

would be happier if they allowed some discussion of religion, as long as it wasn't the kind of bullying-proselytizing we see so much these days, which is a backlash against what they see as a "war on Christianity."

When I was attending high school in the late 60's-early 70's, even though I went to a conservative school in a conservative town, relatively, I think there was more discussion of ideas than there is now, from what I can gather.
              How can we go back to a view of education that goes beyond the simple transmission of "certain minimum levels of non-controversial data" which education has become, to some point.

You can't make this stuff up.

by David54 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 07:38:24 PM PST

•  I agree to that, pretty much. I'm not defending (0+ / 0-)

this teacher. As a statement that will be believed on face value by teenagers, I doubt it has much force. As bullying, it has more.

You can't make this stuff up.

by David54 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 06:49:15 PM PST

•  Developmentally, elementary school kids (0+ / 0-)

are not ready for any discussion of religion.  In middle school, they are ready to have different belief systems taught, but not discussed in a compare and contrast way.  By high school, they should be independent enough to discuss religion.

In CA public high schools, any displays of politics need to show both sides equally, and yes, they check.

...Son, those Elephants always look out for themselves. If you happen to get a crumb or two from their policies, it's a complete coincidence. -Malharden's Dad

by slowbutsure on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 02:30:54 PM PST

•  In a lot of communities, you might see your (0+ / 0-)

teacher at church, or they might go to the Baptist church across town, or they may be totally disgusted with church. Likewise other students. So even if you don't have formal discussions of religion, the broader social discourse is going to occur.
        Period.
        I stopped going to church when I was 12. I wasn't interested in listening to anyone who would have said:

Developmentally, elementary school kids are not ready for any discussion of religion.

You can't make this stuff up.

by David54 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 06:58:13 PM PST