View Diary: Remember when Mitt Romney was going to win Michigan? (301 comments)

•  Detroit to Romney: Drop Dead (47+ / 0-)

First of all we can now bury the myth of Michigan being Willard's home state. Second, we can now bury the myth of Willard riding George's coat tails.

I lived there longer and more recently. BFD. And nobody under 60 really remembers George.

If you can't tell me the entire lineup of the '68 Tigers, including the backup catcher (Jim Price); Denny McLain's record (31-6); or where you were when Bill Freehan caught the Series ending popup, then caught a leaping Mickey Lolich, you are not a Michigan native.  Not from the 60's, anyway.

Your father, Willard old buddy, was popular because he was a moderate. The least anti-union auto executive. Pro-civil rights. Pro-choice. Eventually anti-war. Presided over a booming economy. An economy where the wealth was shared, an economy that lifted millions into the middle class. With good schools for their kids, a car in the drive, maybe a little place Up North, world class universities to give the kids a chance to get off the line and have a better life.

That Michigan so many of us grew up in, loved growing up in, you left 45 years ago. That Michigan has gone through tough times while you were biking around France and hiding your loot in the Caymans. Michigan needed a bit if help to hold on to what's left,which isn't much. Just like the Salt Lake Olympics needed a little help.

But instead of offering help, you pissed on 'em.

So, fuck you Mitt. From my father and grandfather (who might have voted for your father, by the way), fuck you.

You want to talk further, Willard, I've got an authentic game used 1968 Don Wert bat that would love to meet your teeth. Candy ass little Cranbrook pissant.

This election was personal. And that's why you lost Michigan.

A society is judged by how well it cares for those in the dawn of life, the children. By how well it cares for those in the twilight of life, the elderly. And, by how well it cares for those on the edge of life; the poor, the sick, and the disabled.

by BobBlueMass on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 08:12:47 PM PST

•  A #1 rant (12+ / 0-)

but do not mark up that bat!

America could have chosen to be the worlds doctor, or grocer. We choose instead to be her policeman. pity

by cacamp on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 09:05:17 PM PST

•  It's a Bad Ash Bat (1+ / 0-)
        nellgwen

Not one of those newfangled maple matchsticks they use these days.

Big bat, too. Especially for a little guy with a lifetime batting average down around Willard's electoral vote total.

by BobBlueMass on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 10:07:47 AM PST

•  What I remember about George Romney (9+ / 0-)

back in the 60s my Grandmother was a member of the Urban League. She liked George because he supported the Civil Rights Movement. There was not a lot of hate of George in the black community. But that was before the Civil Rights Act and then when busing came to Michigan,,,,,the whole world turned upside down. It was "black" Detroit vs. the rest of the state. The birth of the Reagan Democrats in Macomb County. But guess what! Macomb County voted for Obama this year as further proof of our rejection of George's son Mitt.

"I am no longer a candidate. I'm The President" - Barack Obama 2012 DNC Convention

by AAMOM on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 03:19:17 AM PST

•  Post (race) war world (2+ / 0-)
        AAMOM, zesty grapher

Bussing blew the top of things, and started the long slide backwards for liberals and Dems in Michigan. I know my folks were ready to pack up and head for The Bridge. Or Toledo.

But that was just the culmination of a long simmering black white conflict. The automakers imported thousands of Appalachian whites to work in the war plants. They brought their racial attitudes with them. The companies tried to pit blacks against whites, often with success.

There was a race riot in 1943. Things simmered through the '50s and into the '60s. Detroit and the other cities were pretty segregated, by class and race. Give George some credit for backing open housing laws.

But then came the '67 riot. Detroit burned. White flight exploded. And that made the bussing necessary, there were not enough white kids left in Detroit.

George began backing off some his civil rights stuff. Law and order began taking over. Later Republicans went harder to the right, and grabbed those Reagan Democrats.

That and losing a couple million jobs has brought us to where we are today. It is the racial thing that has kept Michigan from getting together and moving forward. From transitioning to some new, better, economy. Moved from lumbering to furniture to coaches and wagons to stoves to cars. Need to move from cars to something else.

Somewhere, somehow a progressive Democrat needs to emerge that can build off the Obama campaign's success. But, I don't think Soapy Williams is walking through the door anytime soon.

by BobBlueMass on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 10:30:04 AM PST

•  Let Mitt go bankrupt. (0+ / 0-)

I was 10 years old when we moved from Illinois to Arizona.
      I remember Mickey Lolich.
        Guys I may be stupid but I don't think all that money was spent to try to buy a presidency.
         I think it was spent to try to buy a Supreme Court Judge.
         All those millionaires, and billionaires will do very well under an Obama administration. And they have done well.
      And they would do well in with anyone as president unless it was a wingnut who might blow the world up to save itself.
         So my opinion is what they really wanted was 1 or 2 Supreme Court Judges. A president just comes along with the package. Like when you buy a DVD player and it comes with 2 batteries for the remote.

"Is that your vegetarian leather jacket?" George Harrison

by nellgwen on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 10:09:31 AM PST

•  McLain, Horton, Kaline, Cash, Northrup, Stanley.. (3+ / 0-)

McAuliffe, Wert, Oyler, and Manager Mayo Smith.

One of the bright spots of my childhood in Detroit was the year we won the pennant.   I watched the game on TV with my dad and brothers.  The kids at my school chanted:   "Go Get Em Tigers"!

1968 was a scary year for a first grader like me.   We just had the riots downtown the year before.   Then MLK was shot.  Then   I came home from kindergarten one June day to find my mother weeping about Kennedy being shot.   I told her that happened a long time  ago, but she told me it was another one.   I had my uncles and aunts fighting amongst themselves over the Vietnam war.   Winning the pennant was a sign to this little girl that everything was going to be okay.

I left Detroit shortly after we won the '84 pennant with Sparky Anderson.   My family still lives there, and it stuns me that some of them voted for that "candy assed little Cranbrook pissant".

One of the highlights of Election night for me was when they called my home state for Obama.

So, BobBlueMass, I salute you.

Unclutch your pearls. Get off of that fainting couch. GOTV! We got this! Obama/Biden 2012.

by Zinger in VA on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 10:43:13 AM PST

•  And everybody's favorite fat guy (2+ / 0-)
        rosarugosa, zesty grapher

Mickey Lolich. Five earned runs over three complete game victories, and a home run.

Day games. Ran home from the bus stop to watch. Ernie Harwell on the radio. Ernie was always on in those Summers.

My dad worked at the original GM Building. Could set your watch by him walking in the door right after 5, tossing me the Detroit News (then America's largest circulation daily newspaper, now delivered three days a week). That day he was very late. No cellphone. Mom was worried. He'd got caught in the celebration, got home an hour late.

So many people mobbed Metro they diverted the Tigers' plane to Willow Run.

The Last Great Day in Detroit. Then the Willards and the orcs invaded and the darkness descended.

We need Soapy Williams and the Reuther Brothers again.

by BobBlueMass on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 12:43:58 PM PST

•  bill freehan, mickey lolich, willie horton, (1+ / 0-)
      BobBlueMass

I am really a child of the 70's so I can't do it.

•  You summed it up perfectly. (0+ / 0-)

I was going to add "What about Mark (the Bird) Fidrych my all time favorite???"
      But he was from the 70's.

I lived in Michigan for many years and hope to go back someday.

And for this comment alone--

Candy ass little Cranbrook pissant.
      --give yourself a big pat on the back!

"The freedom which so many Americans have fought for and died for comes with responsibilities as well as rights. And among those are love and charity and duty and patriotism." Barack Obama 11/06/2012

by zesty grapher on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 06:13:46 PM PST

•  Pat on the back? At my age, I'm lucky to pull my (1+ / 0-)
        zesty grapher

pants on in the morning.

70s were cool. I had all kinds of fun in  Michigan in the 70s. And I loved the Bird. Ended up back here just a regular guy, just like he started. Died in a tractor accident a couple years ago.

But the 70s were way too late for Willard. He was cheerleading at BYU by then. And probably wondering how Al Kaline got his name on all those batteries.

Thanks for your kind words!

by BobBlueMass on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 06:39:03 PM PST