View Diary: President Obama asks public to pressure Congress on middle-class tax cut (102 comments)

•  Make the rich pay their fair share? (3+ / 0-)

Boehner is not likely to allow a vote on any such proposal, unless he is forced to.  I don't see it happening before Christmas.

An illusion can never be destroyed directly... SK.

by Thomas Twinnings on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 01:30:05 PM PST

•  Fine. His choice. (3+ / 0-)
      OleHippieChick, Janet 707, sethtriggs

Puts him on the wrong side of history. And he knows it. Everybody but the tealiban knows it.

But it's his choice.

A society is judged by how well it cares for those in the dawn of life, the children. By how well it cares for those in the twilight of life, the elderly. And, by how well it cares for those on the edge of life; the poor, the sick, and the disabled.

by BobBlueMass on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 01:42:04 PM PST

•  their idea of a "fair share" (3+ / 0-)
      Janet 707, OleHippieChick, sethtriggs

may be very different from ours ;-).  My idea is at least 50%.

And here's another off-topic thing that just occurred to me.  How many people think that when we say "50%" that we mean 50% of ALL their income?  I bet they think the Federal Government is taking 1/2 of all their income.  How does that hurt the argument for truly fair taxation?

"Mitt Romney has more positions than the Kama Sutra." -- me "Social justice is love, made public." -- Cornel West

by billlaurelMD on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 03:24:54 PM PST

•  They do think that. They do not understand (2+ / 0-)
        DSPS owl, sethtriggs

because they don't read. We need Big Dog to go on a 'splainin tour.

I ♥ President Obama. ~ Yes, we did. Again.
        NOW: Hands off SocSec, Medicare and Medicaid. NO Grand Bargain.
        Rich pay a bit more. DoD take a bit less. End war on Afghanistan sooner.

by OleHippieChick on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 04:14:56 PM PST

•  maybe we need #marginaltaxrate? (1+ / 0-)
          sethtriggs

with helpful explanations.

by billlaurelMD on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 04:16:55 PM PST

•  Had to look up marginal tax rate in (2+ / 0-)
            sethtriggs, billlaurelMD

wiki and just as baffled as before the visit. My brain does not comprehend such language; it's scammy and nonsensical to me. Plus, I don't have a lick of math. :-P
            If someone could make an EZ soundbite explaining marginal tax rate, it would be a freakin miracle. Is it a good thing?
            I'm below poverty level on SocSec and odd jobs with 1 year till Medicare, so we don't pay much Fed tax, if any.

I ♥ President Obama. ~ Yes, we did. Again.
            NOW: Hands off SocSec, Medicare and Medicaid. NO Grand Bargain.
            Rich pay a bit more. DoD take a bit less. End war on Afghanistan sooner.

by OleHippieChick on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 04:34:36 PM PST

•  I would hope you own NO tax other than SS (0+ / 0-)

and Medicare.  I might give it a try one day soon and see if it works for you.  I'll have to look at that wiki page in the meantime.

by billlaurelMD on Thu Nov 29, 2012 at 01:56:52 PM PST