View Diary: bonwillum designs for Kos Katalogue (59 comments)

•  Heh! In my next incarnation I get my MD so (15+ / 0-)

people will damned well listen to me about diet and nutrition!

But I'm probably leaving all that to another incarnation.

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.,

by 4Freedom on Mon Dec 03, 2012 at 06:14:47 PM PST

•  Yes, so much to do and so little time after all... (11+ / 0-)

This is a good return, though, I have confidence in your latest adventure.

Some DKos series & groups worth your while: Black Kos, Native American Netroots, KosAbility, Monday Night Cancer Club. If you'd like to join the Motor City Kossacks, send me a Kosmail.

by peregrine kate on Mon Dec 03, 2012 at 06:16:38 PM PST

•  My prejudice is going to show here, (4+ / 0-)
      Sara R, Onomastic, TexDem, 4Freedom

But if you had an MD, people might listen to you, but you really wouldn't know much about nutrition...or even have balanced knowledge about how to be healthy.

I dated an MD, oh the debates we used to have. :-)

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.--Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act I, scene 5

by Ooooh on Mon Dec 03, 2012 at 09:21:50 PM PST

•  I completely agree! Most MDs only study diet (2+ / 0-)
        Ooooh, Sara R

and nutrition for a semester or two.

But think of the credibility of a Dr. Oz. I have a shelf full of supplements he recommends from time to time. Some are OK, some are just passing fads that customers begged me to carry. Then he would go on to the next, leaving his fan club seeking the latest pill for every ill.

Of course Dr. Oz has recently blown his credibility by calling organic foods equivalent to conventional, and referring to organics as the food of the 1%. He has even used the term 'elites' to describe those who can afford an all-organic diet.

By me, if you understand what foods govern an appropriate ph for the body, and the importance of keeping the immune system at peak functioning, and how to deal with pain, you can avoid many illnesses and diseases.

by 4Freedom on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 07:51:50 AM PST

•  I pay a lot of attention to nutrition and take a (3+ / 0-)
          4Freedom, Sara R, Onomastic

boatload of supplements. It makes a difference; most recently I tried eliminating one that I've been taking for years, it took about 3 weeks for my body to "remind" me why I started taking that supplement so long ago. And now I'm still working on bringing that back into balance. Sheesh!

In my work with energy healing, it has occurred to me that we are really "creating" our health with not only our nutritional choices, but also with the quality of our thinking and emotions, and also in the ways we choose to use or neglect our bodies. With the goal being balance, there are so many planes to be attentive to, it can really take up a lot of our focus and energy to take care of these human energy/matter sacks we inhabit.

OTOH If we were more attentive to taking care of ourselves, we'd have less time and energy to focus on all the stuff we disapprove of. I suspect we'd all be a lot happier. :-)

I could go on, and on, and on..... :-)

by Ooooh on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 09:29:30 AM PST

•  We both could go on and on. I think it is almost (3+ / 0-)
            Sara R, Onomastic, Ooooh

criminal that Americans have let themselves be so brainwashed by the medical profession that they don't understand how to maintain their own health. It is relatively simple to stay well, if you learn to understand your own physical body and its requirements.

Of course the spiritual element is an important component of health. If you don't attain some sort of inner balance and peace, you can stress yourself into illness no matter how well you eat and how many supplements you take.

One of my keys was understanding what a high magnesium requirement I had, and which form was most assimilable for me. I had leg and foot cramps since childhood, migraines, tics, the whole works. Once I hit on the right magnesium, my inner and outer health markedly improved.

The old adage about maintaining a positive mental attitude is as relevant now as ever. I find my health improves with an uptick in mood. Of course, and adequate intake of D3 and GABA also helps. :)

My healing work isn't any particular practice. I listen to symptoms or questions and try to fit together a healing program to address various conditions or interests.

by 4Freedom on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 01:36:43 PM PST

•  You are so right: (0+ / 0-)
              ...Americans have let themselves be so brainwashed by the medical profession that they don't understand how to maintain their own health.
              When I was actively in practice I used to tell people they needed to be the expert in their own bodies and a full partner with their doctor. The practice of Western medicine is so unbalanced, and if we are not willing to pay attention the wisdom in our bodies we are at risk of becoming victims of our health care system. This is especially true for people who have good insurance. It is the ultimate irony, I think, that people with no access or insurance, and people with "good" insurance have an equal risk of being screwed over by our health care system.

by Ooooh on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 09:18:43 PM PST