View Diary: CNN Losing Bradley Manning Story: Manning Was Reporting a War Crime, "The Van Thing" (286 comments)

•  HR'd for fascist suggestions and sadistic spew (1+ / 0-)
    aliasalias

I preach the church without Christ, where the lame don't walk, the blind don't see and what's dead stays that way! Hazel Motes in "Wise Blood"

by chalatenango on Fri Nov 30, 2012 at 08:30:52 PM PST

•  I disagree (1+ / 0-)
      Wordsinthewind

I suppose that if you either go looking for something to complain about, or just walked into this thread, you'd HR this.

But if you'd participated in this thread, especially if you'd read all of ksuwildcat's comments, you'd understand his comment in a different context, I reckon.

Speaking for myself, I don't understand the whole 'suicide watch' thing, perhaps because I believe that not only is suicide a personal thing but also that in some cases it's the honorable choice.... and who are we to deny a person that right?

Or maybe you don't agree that Marines are nasty people and Quantico is a nasty place.... just proves you don't know anything about either. But that doesn't deserve an HR, does it?

And, before I get pummeled by anyone, I WANT our Marines to be nasty people, because we DEMAND they do NASTY things, and I respect that.

Cheers.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. Friedrich Schiller

by databob on Fri Nov 30, 2012 at 08:46:42 PM PST

•  I read them (1+ / 0-)
        raincrow

and he's way out of line.  If that's a common attitude, then a lot of military guys need to learn some professionalism

Hay hombres que luchan un dia, y son buenos Hay otros que luchan un año, y son mejores Hay quienes luchan muchos años, y son muy buenos. Pero hay los que luchan toda la vida. Esos son los imprescendibles.

by Mindful Nature on Fri Nov 30, 2012 at 09:24:00 PM PST

•  What exactly? (0+ / 0-)

What exactly is "out of line"?

That I dont want to see someone necked - which of course he was not.

That on a personal level I would give him the option of being free from his troubles?

Or that on a professional level I would ensure his safety - even tot he point of having people with no knowledge of the situation call me terrible things for doing so.

You cant have it both ways.  Either Im evil for preventing him from killing himself or evil for enabling him.

Please be precise.

It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it. Robert E. Lee

by ksuwildkat on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 01:02:07 PM PST

•  The suggestion of enabling (0+ / 0-)

Is far over the line.  If military detention has created such mental conditions it is time to remove him from military custody

by Mindful Nature on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 04:00:40 PM PST

•  In other words (0+ / 0-)

you were just talking out of your butt and have no real basis for complaining.

PFC Manning was unhinged long before he was detained.

by ksuwildkat on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 06:48:13 PM PST

•  no (0+ / 0-)

you suggested facilitating the suicide of a prisoner.  That is a grave breach.

by Mindful Nature on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 06:56:36 PM PST

•  See (0+ / 0-)

Now you are just displaying the emptiness of your arguments.

First you say it is evil to take away the mens he himself suggested he could kill himself with then you say I am evil for suggesting I would provide him with more.

And of course you take the position that suicide is evil contrary to most liberal thought.

Empty

by ksuwildkat on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 07:11:45 PM PST

•  I never said the former at all (0+ / 0-)

I said that trying to get a prisoner to commit suicide shows an utter depravity

Suicide isn't evil.  Trying to get someone under your power to commit suicide  is

by Mindful Nature on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 08:15:30 PM PST

•  Wow. (0+ / 0-)

YES WE DID -- AGAIN. FOUR MORE YEARS.

by raincrow on Fri Nov 30, 2012 at 09:53:56 PM PST

•  you have never been in the service is my guess (0+ / 0-)

without the ants the rainforest dies

by aliasalias on Fri Nov 30, 2012 at 11:19:21 PM PST

•  Vietnam era, actually (USCG) (0+ / 0-)

And the tales I heard about Navy brigs would curl yer hair.
          The sociopathic comment would be more at home at Glenn Beck's site.

by chalatenango on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 09:59:06 AM PST

•  and now sociopathic (0+ / 0-)

Really, you need to look these words up before using them:

so·ci·o·path
             [soh-see-uh-path, soh-shee-]
            noun, Psychiatry.
            a person with a psychopathic personality whose behavior is antisocial, often criminal, and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.

I have been accused of many things in my years but lack of moral responsibility has never been one of them.

You do realize that PFC Manning is almost a case study in sociopathic behavior.

dictionary.com

its free
            use it and live better

by ksuwildkat on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 01:24:25 PM PST

•  If you're the officer responsible for a prisoner's (0+ / 0-)

safety, you should obviously be the one to "deny a person that right" or your ass would get busted.

by chalatenango on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 10:07:10 AM PST

•  Really? (0+ / 0-)

Please explain the "fascist suggestion."

From Dictionary.com:

fascism  (ˈfæʃɪzəm)

— n
      1.    any ideology or movement inspired by Italian Fascism, such as German National Socialism; any right-wing nationalist ideology or movement with an authoritarian and hierarchical structure that is fundamentally opposed to democracy and liberalism
      2.    any ideology, movement, programme, tendency, etc, that may be characterized as right-wing, chauvinist, authoritarian, etc
      3.    prejudice in relation to the subject specified: body fascism

I would assume you believe that suggesting tighty whities are not a right I am somehow a fascist.  I have checked the Constitution and I dont see anything about undergarments.

sa·dis·tic
       [suh-dis-tik, sey-, sa-]
      adjective
      pertaining to or characterized by sadism; deriving pleasure or sexual gratification from extreme cruelty: a sadistic psychopath.

I will further assume that you qualify providing the means to terminate ones life is "sadistic spew."

From Wikipedia:  Liberalism asserts that a person's life belongs only to them, and no other person has the right to force their own ideals that life must be lived. Rather, only the individual involved can make such decision, and whatever decision they make should be respected.

Philosopher and psychiatrist Thomas Szasz goes further, arguing that suicide is the most basic right of all. If freedom is self-ownership—ownership over one's own life and body—then the right to end that life is the most basic of all. If others can force you to live, you do not own yourself and belong to them.

Your accusations seem to be in conflict.  if I am a Fascist I am fundamentally opposed to liberalism yet if I allow someone the freedom to continue or end their life on their own terms, I am at the very extreme of Liberalism.

Now you might be opposed to the things I say and might even find them offensive but do a little more research before trying to articulate your displeasure.  Words mean things.  Your words mean you dont know what they mean.

by ksuwildkat on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 01:16:08 PM PST