View Diary: In 2008 we elected a smart president, but in 2012 we elected a MUCH SMARTER president. (155 comments)

•  I still assert that what many perceive as weakness (35+ / 0-)

was really the regressives willingness to destroy lives to increase thier bottom lines and PBO unwillingness to destroy lives any further. Over and over again they threatened to throw the helpless, the old, the unemployed, the wounded, the least amongst us to the wolves to garner more for the top 1%. It is like as a parent having an invader hold a gun to your childs head or your spouses ... Would it be weak to try to appease them and let your family member live long enough that you could get control of a really  BAD situation? Now that the economy is improving he can tell them that thier hostage taking is pretty much like an unarmed gun.

Supremely rational and supremely caring about all his fellow americans... As I have said before, PBO is one of our finest holders of the office of President and I have seen some crap ones, not the least of which was the Shrub. Next to the shrub Nixon looks good... I do remember LBJ which in hindsight many claim for him a mantle of greatness yet this man pissed me off so badly about the Vietnam war (over 50000 dead there and at least as many damaged for  life by the experience - GOD I HATE dumb wars)... All presidents do things we don't understand because we lack data and rely on rumors, hints and innuendos.

Fear is the Mind Killer...

by boophus on Fri Nov 30, 2012 at 08:41:58 PM PST

•  I hear your passion and (26+ / 0-)

frustration, and I feel it too.  I too have seen some real crap presidents, and I agree, it's absolutely surreal how Nixon looks next to the GOP of today---like a walk on the beach.

Regarding LBJ, I'm torn.  His civil rights initiatives can never be over spoken, but his inability to rise above the muck of Viet Nam was his undoing.  However, both JFK and Nixon before him, added in to his challenge.

Years ago I visited Washington, and the Viet Nam War Memorial. That experience is something the dictionary doesn't have words for.  It is, imo, the most amazing war memorial of all times, and not in a good way. Over 50,000 American soldiers, their each and every name engraved in granite, who to a one, died for absolutely NOTHING.  It's....well, beyond words.

And I remember well LBJ's sad and lined face, as he withdrew from another race for the presidency.  It was ALL such a royal fuck up.

Makes me grateful that there are still people like Barack Obama, willing to run for, to fight for, such a dubious reward as the presidency.  Frankly, I'm surprised we don't have to run a want ad for the position.

"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues." Theodore Roosevelt.

by StellaRay on Fri Nov 30, 2012 at 09:04:38 PM PST

•  LOL probably why we have a jaundiced view. (14+ / 0-)

That is probably why I feared someone like Romney so much... He was willing to go to extreme lengths to get the job. Why? History will judge him probably as the worst of my generation for his liquidity on any issue. A true pig in a poke. It seems that the republican or regressives are getting worse, especially since Ii heard Crist on RMS and he sounded heads above Romney in strength of character ... or Bush baby or Reagan. Him I wouldn't actually fear winning, even if I will always vote for the Democrat.

Fear is the Mind Killer...

by boophus on Fri Nov 30, 2012 at 09:47:04 PM PST

•  Unfortunately, for the Rethugs (6+ / 0-)
          vidanto, LeighAnn, StellaRay, fumie, RoCali, vcmvo2

he'd be Huntsmanned before he got out of the gate.
          I agree. Poor Huntsman was the only presentable candidate during the Republican's entertaining primary circus. I worried he could give POTUS a run for his money in the general.
          But, alas, ReThugs primaried him.

"Please proceed, Governor."

by Dema Broad on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 08:39:44 AM PST

•  I worried about Huntsman in the beginning too, (1+ / 0-)
            vcmvo2

heh, silly us to think anyone so reasonable had a chance in today's GOP.

by StellaRay on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 10:01:23 AM PST

•  Huntsman didn't realy worry me (0+ / 0-)

He's more rational than your average Republican (not the highest bar to clear, of course, but Huntsman is pretty well-grounded), but he was woefully uncharismatic. Like it or not, that does matter in elections. Ask Al Gore.

The guy who really DID worry me was Huckabee. He could easily pass as a regular-guy faux-populist, and he could have challenged Obama on the economy without the Wall Street millstone around his neck. I was very relieved when he sat out the race.

"Le ciel est bleu, l'enfer est rouge."

by Buzzer on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 01:59:23 PM PST

• Environment (23)
  • Labor (23)
  • Republicans (22)
  • Politics (22)
  • Police Brutality (19)
  • Barack Obama (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site