View Diary: I Just Quit Twitter (118 comments)

•  Totally disagree (20+ / 0-)

It's still a great tool for news and for finding new stories that are interesting and relavent but otherwise you wouldn't have found (though this depends on following the right accounts).

It is a toy for a lot of uses, but that can be fun a lot.  What can I say, I'm of the millennial generation, we love our gossip and social media.

It is done. Four More Years.

by mconvente on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 06:33:03 PM PST

•  exactly (8+ / 0-)

your twitter feed is going to be as smart and funny as whom you choose to follow. it's completely in your control.

"What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say"~Ralph Waldo Emerson

by 73rd virgin on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 07:25:43 PM PST

•  Twitter's my tightly focused, highly personalized (6+ / 0-)

news and politics feed -- and the best part is that there's absolutely no penalty (literally or figuratively) imposed for only receiving and not sending (or RTing).

I don't use Twitter to try and enlighten anyone - there are far too many on there who are much better suited to that folly - I'm on Twitter simply to get a jump on being enlightened by others. Again, I don't really do the Tweeting or Retweeting thing -- although I will embed an occasional ToI (Tweet of Interest) on DKos just like I might do with a blockquote and link to a web page.

In the past I've mocked news outfits like CNN for seeming to rely too heavily on Twitter as a wire service replacement - and for a while I'm not too sure they hadn't done just that - but once you get your follow list pared down to what you feel are the essentials it's a flat-out stunning informational tool.

Another fascinating thing about Twitter is how it can act as a "confirmation" tool. A few weekends ago I was sitting on the sofa at the office doing some research, and swore I felt something shake ever so slightly.. almost like your body might feel if your heart was really pounding (which it wasn't).

I opened up a new search window on my Twitter app and typed in #Earthquake and suddenly my screen began filling with Tweets like "Did you feel that" and "My house just shook" and so on.  Within a minute or so I'd more or less narrowed down the location (Eastern KY) and confirmation that I wasn't the only one in my area (Central OH) that had felt it.

It was another 10-15 minutes before I started seeing any mentions of the event on various top-level media -- although I suspect local radio near the epicenter was abuzz (or maybe it wasn't given today's outsourced ClearChannel environment).

Another tool I've noticed gives a pretty good "emergency" early warning is the Scanner Radio app on my phone. It has customizable alerts which trigger at number of listeners, which is a pretty good indicator that something's going on.

tl;dr -- Don't shoot the messenger, just train it better :)

Anyone who thought Apple's Maps would work clearly hasn't used Apple's website.

by here4tehbeer on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 11:00:36 PM PST

•  It's a fun toy (0+ / 0-)

That social media "gurus" love to glorify.

I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.

by Futuristic Dreamer on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 11:02:49 PM PST

•  Well, that includes Markos (5+ / 0-)
        twigg, BigOkie, The Marti, Fury, mattc129

Who, btw, is also on the side of us who actually use social media (facebook, twitter, etc.) to engage with friends/colleagues/journalists/etc.

Social media is a significant reason why we've increased traffic to this site.  See all those share and like buttons at the top?  They aren't there just because.

I really don't understand why it seems soooooo many people here at Daily Kos abhor social media.  We're supposed to be progressives and adapt with the times, and that includes technology above all.  They don't call it "Netroots Nation" for nothing - the Fore Fathers of the movement used technology (aka, the Internet) to start a movement that has grown immensely.

As I've mentioned a bunch of times upthread, I think it has to do with privacy, but quite frankly, most young people don't care about that (at least in regard to the Internet).  And the fact that a lot of progressives are not really too keen on being the "cool kids" with regard to social media, but what can I say, all of us Millennials have at least somewhat of an ego, so we gotta show off some how.  lol

It is done. Four More Years.

by mconvente on Sun Dec 02, 2012 at 12:05:16 AM PST

•  I think that is a case of (2+ / 0-)
          Larsstephens, Fury

the "antis" making the most noise.

It would surprise me if the majority of visitors and users here haven't embraced social media.

We do, however, need a better facebook than Facebook, which is getting worse.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
          but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Sun Dec 02, 2012 at 12:23:14 AM PST

•  "We're supposed to be progressives..." (1+ / 0-)
          Futuristic Dreamer

LOL... the operative word being "supposed".

The disconnect/irony with Bloggo world is that instead of becoming more enlightened, more progressive, it's actually doing the total opposite-- in the very narrow interest/goal of getting a few "democrats" elected-- namely Obama and a few others.

OK, NOW WHAT???

"A civilization which does not provide young people with a way to earn a living is pretty poor". Eleanor Roosevelt

by Superpole on Sun Dec 02, 2012 at 07:04:49 AM PST

•  The internet is killing the movement. (0+ / 0-)

Off the internet and into the streets!

I am a young tech savvy radical. I don't let myself pretend posting on the internet is productive, because it's not. It's just fun. Speaking to the choir through a medium where it's next to impossible do real organizing is a waste of time.

Watching the amount of revolutionary energy my generation wastes on the internet disgusts me.  We are disconnected from each other and the world because of the devices we use to listen to capitalist propaganda 24/7.  I'm sick of being constantly bombarded with messaging, and spied on by social media to enforce conformity.

by Futuristic Dreamer on Sun Dec 02, 2012 at 11:50:06 PM PST