View Diary: Fear and Loathing at Daily KOS (153 comments)

•  I agree with you, roseriter. I, too, have posted (6+ / 0-)

little in the last year for the same reasons.

Hope has a hole in it when Republicans come, bringing shackles and sorrow; branding their greed on the backs of the poor. - Wendy Connors

by Wendys Wink on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 06:46:36 AM PST

•  Seconded (5+ / 0-)

I too have felt that my very liberal thoughts and opinions would be unwelcome here during this past election year.

On more than a few occassions, I have been told I should not be here because I am not the "right kind" of liberal.

Here's an interesting thought experiment: imagine the right-ward political drift of the country and the democratic party continues as it has for the past couple of decades.  At some point, today's democratic party orthodoxy becomes tomorrow's unwlecomed wild-eyed liberal extremism.

"The fool doth think he is wise: the wise man knows himself to be a fool" - W. Shakespeare

by Hugh Jim Bissell on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 07:31:39 AM PST

•  It's part of the reason I'm not a fan of the huge (2+ / 0-)
        myboo, cynndara

And always welcoming big tent.

When folks here say we should accept all those Republicans disillusiioned by Romney and the RW extremists into our tent, I try to graciously suggest that we help them build their own tent and we can meet outside at the bonfire, sing Kumbaya and snack on s'mores together.

© grover

by grover on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 09:21:57 AM PST

•  I think this sidebar highlights the (1+ / 0-)
          cynndara

need for the debate to continue.  This forum shouldn't be allowed to become a 'bluestate.com' warehouse of ideological purity.  And conservatives should be welcome to post, as long as we are all required to remain within the realms of the real (i.e. fact based) world.

The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking. A. A. Milne

by Memory Corrupted on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 10:01:48 AM PST

•  Did I say that? (0+ / 0-)

The comments about the "big tent" usually refer to the Democratic Party.

Then we end up with a very centric party that won't even think about the public option, thinks wiretapping citizens has merits and sees filibuster reform as an unnecessary intrusion on "Senate tradition."

I don't think you'll find any evidence of me ever being exclusionary -- except to genuine and proven haters.  If anything, I've seen that the more conservative types try to argue for their idea here, the less attractive those ideas appear. I mean, it's really hard to make for-profit but mandatory  Obamacare  attractive compared to universal health care if you have an honest conversation with a reasonable person whose eyeballs don't spin at the mention of the word "socialism."

So, as long as people aren't mindlessly posting RW propaganda, I don't care who posts here. That's Markos' business. What I care about is that we don't change the
            principles and ethos of the Dem party to accomodate longtime but now ex-Republicans.

Some of these folks are the most enthusiastic and dedicated Dems ever. But some haven't changed their values and priorities: it's just that their party left them behind. Well, we shouldn't lurch ever rightward to pick them up.

© grover

by grover on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 10:28:53 AM PST

•  Sorry, I didn't intend it to be on your post (0+ / 0-)

My post was intended as a general observation that looking for ideological purity in a forum for open discussion is a dangerous path. Much as you more eloquently just said. But, I had skimmed Candide's more recent posts and saw no other HR's as well as pretty standard commenting on his part.  Further, the argument in the thread moved from "hey my conspiracy is valid" to "oh, yeah?  your declarations of fact are no more supported than mine, so there"  Not value added, but still, not so-called "CT", just pointless.  I basically saw no reason in his post and response for a banning, even if the HR is more reasonable as an individuals caution statement, I wouldn't have gone there.

The line item that bugged me was actually "anastasia p" when she titled a post in the other thread
              http://www.dailykos.com/...  "You were warned above".  Very much a statement of presumed authority and one that would have certainly rankled me no matter the reasonableness of her post.

by Memory Corrupted on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 08:14:20 PM PST

•  Yeah, some people could work on tone. (0+ / 0-)

I won't comment on that user because I wasn't in that diary contemporaneously and things often feel different in the light of a new day. Monday morning quarterbacking is a dangerous sport that earns one few friends in life.

I will just say that I've noticed that there are a few people who seem to think this place is their little fiefdom. I suppose it's unavoidable because that's what happens in real life too. But I figure my job as a longtime community member is only to make sure that others are treated with minimal decency here. Other rule infractions, Markos and his very capable staff can and do handle.

© grover

by grover on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 10:46:03 PM PST

•  How does banning CT (1+ / 0-)
            DeadHead

do that? If you mean not arguing for third parties in an election season, is that really hard to understand? It becomes nothing but a big pie fight every time.

Beyond it being philosophically opposed to what the site is about.

No issues, other than CT, are regulated at all.

Conservatives can post but I find such posts a complete waste of time at daily kos.

That is simply not what the site is about and the quality of discussion with conservatives is simply nonexistent here.

I don't need it but it is not prohibited.

•  I got my single deserved HR (0+ / 0-)

for once, long ago, having very stupidly peddled the "what the site is about" stuff against someone.

Obviously, the bulk of opinion on the site has changed since then.

But I like the old version. Where peddling "what the site is about," if done stupidly, would be seen as the HRable distraction from the issues.

•  If there was a persistence and pestulance (0+ / 0-)

to a users posting then IMHO banning would be proper.  But that wasn't the case here, Candide had no other HR's in the last few pages of their comment history.  Jumping on someone without establishing intent, then chastising, then the site banning them is what I was taking issue with. Of course, maybe there's a back story that we're not privy too, but that's not important to this concept.

by Memory Corrupted on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 08:22:13 PM PST

•  Speaking for myself... (0+ / 0-)

I myself am not a republican, tea party, or conservative, and never have been.

Instead, I am a very liberal liberal who feels the democratic party has moved too far to the right.  So I am not a member of the democratic party (my voter registration is "no party specified"), and I frequently have reason to criticize the democratic party.

Hence, true-blue democratic party partisan have on occassion told me I shouldn't be posting here at dkos.

by Hugh Jim Bissell on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 11:54:01 AM PST

• Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Education (18)
  • Media (16)
  • Racism (16)
  • Politics (16)
  • Barack Obama (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site