View Diary: Concealed Carry and Irrational Fear (127 comments)

•  And thus we move into (0+ / 0-)

Personal anecdote time.  When people are losing on facts, they switch to anecdote.  Care to deal with the numbers instead?  You were happy to crap on AEDs when you thought they were $2000+, but suddenly you changed gears and use a different argument when you find out they cost about the same as your Lady Smith...it's like  you already know the answer and are searching for a reason.

"Empty vessels make the loudest sound, they have the least wit and are the greatest blabbers" Plato

by Empty Vessel on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 04:37:28 PM PST

•  Oddly enough, anecdotal evidence is often (3+ / 0-)
      JayRaye, Wordsinthewind, rockhound

used in court.

As evidence by an eyewitness.

I give much more weight to reasoned argument than to "I saw it so it must be true" claims, but I also don't generally dismiss entirely reasonable first-hand accounts with no more than a sneer.

•  You lost the argument. Admit it. (0+ / 0-)

She beat you, anecdote or not. Now you are resorting to belittling her experience. Poor form.

Send conservatives to FilthyLiberal.com for re-education.

by filthyLiberalDOTcom on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 07:04:47 PM PST

•  Why don't you just call her a liar? (0+ / 0-)

Send conservatives to FilthyLiberal.com for re-education.

by filthyLiberalDOTcom on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 07:07:26 PM PST

•  Christ (0+ / 0-)

Ok, let me play.  I was once harassed by a neighbor when he brandished a gun cause he didn't like that I complained about a dog barking...thus guns and people who carry the. Are bad.

Now, I never said that, cause it is a stupid argument. It's stupid cause I took a singular personal experience and applied it to an entire group.

I've seem what how pro-gun folks respond to that sort of argument in their diaries.  They call out the bullshit. They scream about anecdotal evidence...and they are right.

So...really I never said she lied, or belittled it.  I said it was anecdotal, and not relevant to the question as to whether someone is fifty times more likely to die from a heart attack.

Admit, you lost...cause you know damn well what an anecdotal argument is, and you just don't care cause you support gun rights.

by Empty Vessel on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 08:03:29 PM PST

•  You want to call her a liar. You know that. (0+ / 0-)

Send conservatives to FilthyLiberal.com for re-education.

by filthyLiberalDOTcom on Wed Dec 05, 2012 at 05:53:17 AM PST

•  And I will add, I did not "lose" anything. I (0+ / 0-)

simply made an accusation. You can deny it all you want, but to claim I "lost" anything, well, that's not applicable. You can say I'm wrong, and leave it at that because in truth, both of us have an opinion on her story.

I think your opinion is driven by emotions, not logic. Now you can claim I'm doing the same if you like. So let's say SHE is LYING. But what about the hundreds of thousands of others? These incidents are well document. Are they all lying? Do they all need a religious level of belief?

And yes. I do support SANE gun owners rights. SANE and RESPONSIBLE gun owners. Like the woman you would like to gleefully belittle. You have, in that sentence, attempted to belittle me by accusing me of "not caring".

In fact that final accusation, that I "just don't care cause you support gun rights." reeks of emotional distress. I consider that comment of little merit. By the way, I also believe in registering guns and gun owners and I believe we need to do an intense rework of gun laws in this country. I hate the NRA and I am not a member and never will be. I clearly do care. You are free to call me a liar if you like, or infer it. I don't care.

But to imagine a happy pollyana world where women don't get raped and weaker people are never preyed upon by stronger people, that's almost criminally stupid.

I'll leave it at that. Don't expect another reply, so feel free to slam me all you want.

Send conservatives to FilthyLiberal.com for re-education.

by filthyLiberalDOTcom on Wed Dec 05, 2012 at 07:49:39 AM PST