View Diary: "Earth shattering" change in the radio industry in the aftermath of the Rush Limbaugh Effect (203 comments)

•  About 2 years ago, (8+ / 0-)

There was a 'festival' of sorts set up near my office, and Sirius had a big booth set up (on the edge, so I could avoid the festival itself).  I talked to one of the PR flacks for a while, and she (early 20's) was totally befuddled by jazz listeners (me).

We hate hearing the same thing over and over, and actually want to know about the tracks being played - like who the musicians are.  All of that was completely foreign to her.  She had grown up in a world where a song always sounds the same, and is always played by the same band, without much, if any, variation.  Having 20 different versions of one song just confused her, and she didn't understand why anyone could possibly want that.

Of course, as I discovered while talking to her, she liked "heavy metal, and some country", mostly for dancing, and was mostly tone deaf.  She liked the beat, and could not tell one note from another.

Kids like that are what made Glenn Miller rich, and what killed jazz.  And are what program most radio nowadays.  The music is secondary to the advertising, and quality comes after marketability.

We all know the difference between rock and jazz:  Rock musicians play 3 chords in front of an audience of thousands, and jazz musicians play thousands of chords in front of an audience of 3.  But it's still sad.

I am not religious, and did NOT say I enjoyed sects.

by trumpeter on Wed Dec 05, 2012 at 03:17:45 PM PST

•  Music snobbery is alive and well... (0+ / 0-)

Jazz is what it is, and there's no doubt that it takes talent and is a valid art form. It's not my thing, but I have respect for what it has to offer to it's fans.

However, if you characterize rock and heavy metal as "3 chords" for fans who "like the beat and cannot tell one note from another", you're simply prejudiced and wrong.

Much of rock and metal is some of the most complex and demanding forms of music ever played, with speed and precision and complexity that is staggering and vocals that require high levels of ability to pull off. Much of it is also lyrically deep and intelligent.

I'm not asking you to like it, but please educate yourself and respect whet these very talented and hardworking musicians have to offer.

"Is there anybody listening? Is there anyone who sees what's going on? Read between the lines, criticize the words they're selling. Think for yourself, and feel the walls become sand beneath your feet." --Geoff Tate, Queensryche

by DarthMeow504 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 01:39:56 AM PST

•  And you're callin (0+ / 0-)

ME a snob?

Grow up.  I've played with some of the best rock musicians in the world, and am repeating an ancient joke.  If you don't know at least the second part of that, you obviously don't know as much as you think you do.

I am not religious, and did NOT say I enjoyed sects.

by trumpeter on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 08:16:39 AM PST

•  If it talks like a duck... (0+ / 0-)

Fact is, your "old joke" is both outdated and insulting. Hiding behind humor to excuse snide and offensive opinions is old hat for racists, bigots, and assholes. Don't join that foul company by emulating their tactics.

Again, the fact is that there is a large amount of incredibly demanding, complex, and powerful music in the rock and metal genres, and it is not a "wasteland" of talentless hacks. Sure, the more mainstream you go the blander it gets, but that's the nature of corporate music, not something inherent to the genres.

I offered jazz it's just props, as I fully recognize the skill, talent, and history in the genre. It's not what I enjoy, but there's no doubt in my mind that it's loaded with brilliant musicians and knowledgeable, passionate fans.

Rock and metal fans are deserving of the same respect in return, not arrogant and ignorant slurs.

by DarthMeow504 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 05:17:40 PM PST

•  Oh, poor you. (0+ / 0-)

I pinked your sacred cow and now you're offended.

Too bad.

I have been making a living for almost 40 years as a musician, and have lived the life.  From all you have said, you give the impression of a college or high school aged kid with a very limited point of view.

When your life as a musician (do you have one?  Are you a player or just a listener?  I would bet on the latter) has some depth and breadth, then your opinion will matter to me.  Until then ... you have said nothing I haven't heard many times, always from people with theoretical knowledge and no practical knowledge.

When you have played with top of the line players in jazz and rock and classical (Which I have.  Louie Bellson, Toshiki Akiyoshi, Rod Stewart, Huey Lewis, Bill Champlin, Roger Bobo, etc), then perhaps your perspective will be worth while.  But as for now ...  to quote W.C. Fields, "Go away kid, you bother me."

I am not religious, and did NOT say I enjoyed sects.

by trumpeter on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 04:43:58 PM PST

•  Why did You Delete Your Last Diary? (0+ / 0-)

You told me you finally attributed the article to a source.

BTW, I didn't hide-rate your tip jar, but I'm not surprised that others did. Copyright infringement is pretty serious on this site.

I miss Speaker Pelosi :^(

by howarddream on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 10:58:59 AM PST

•  Can you get any more arrogant? (0+ / 0-)

You continue to sling insults and assumptions and for what, to defend your hatred of genres you clearly know nothing about. For what purpose? You seem to have pride in the genre of music you have such extensive experience in, why do you seem so intent on disparaging other talented and hardworking musicians? You sound like you feel threatened and must put others down to make yourself feel better.

I am fully aware, as I said, that jazz is a rich and vibrant genre filled with talented musicians and knowledgeable, passionate fans.

If you knew the first thing about heavy metal you'd realize that it too has it's share of amazingly talented musicians, complex and interesting music, and passionate and knowledgeable fans. Why the need to piss down our backs? What did we ever do to you?

I understand it's not to your tastes, but if you think people like Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Dave Mustaine, Eddie Van Halen, and Marty Friedman are "three chord" guitar players than you don't have the first clue what you're talking about and you obviously haven't listened to any of them play.

by DarthMeow504 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 04:23:57 AM PST