View Diary: Bob Costas continues the dialog about guns and violence-support him by tuning into his show (182 comments)

•  They alert each other to focus their attack (3+ / 0-)
    Tonedevil, 1BQ, jan4insight

One might think that after the diaries of the last few days (highlighting their abusive, gang-like attitudes) that they might be more conciliatory and open to discussion.  But no; they're terrified that someone is going to take their toys. Terrified.  This means they must challenge each and every anti-gun comment.

Like Republicans, they don't realize how they hurt their cause rather than help it.

The system isn't broken; it's fixed - OWS sign

by john07801 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 12:27:24 PM PST

•  No alerts necessary. (3+ / 0-)
      Pete Cortez, KVoimakas, theatre goon

There's this thing in the lower right corner, when looking at the group page, called "Related Diaries".

Non enim propter gloriam, diuicias aut honores pugnamus set propter libertatem solummodo quam Nemo bonus nisi simul cum vita amittit. -Declaration of Arbroath

by Robobagpiper on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 01:29:16 PM PST

•  There's also this nifty thing called "search." (2+ / 0-)
      KVoimakas, theatre goon
    •  Also. (2+ / 0-)
      KVoimakas, theatre goon

If this is what hurting our cause looks like, I'll settle for it.

•  What, we should be more conciliatory... (3+ / 0-)
      rockhound, oldpunk, KVoimakas

...because people tell lies about us...?

No, thanks.  If you want to make accusations, make 'em to admins.

Of course, they expect you to support your allegations.  I guess if you could, you would.

The mindreading is impressive, though:

But no; they're terrified that someone is going to take their toys.
      Well, impressive apart from the part where you're now just making stuff up.  Can you support your assertion that we are "terrified?"  I just checked -- I'm not.  Sorry 'bout that.

Now, this is just me, but when you have to resort to outright falsehoods to support your stance, perhaps it's time to re-think that stance.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 02:15:17 PM PST

•  Exactly. Whether by coincidence or design, (1+ / 0-)
      john07801

they travel around in packs, swarming on those who dare to oppose or even question them. Their standard verbal weapons include shaming, denial, straw-man arguments, red herrings, and above all False Equivalence.

They know every trick in the book - just like the Mean Girls back in junior high.

Handmade holiday gifts from Jan4insight on Zibbet. Get 10%off everytime with coupon code KOSSACK.

by jan4insight on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 03:28:45 PM PST

•  I almost feel like a Mean Girl (2+ / 0-)
        jan4insight, Tonedevil

for rec'ing your comment, but it does have the ring of truth.

•  Nah, when it comes to Mean Girlyness (2+ / 0-)
          gramofsam1, Tonedevil

neither you nor anyone else on this site can hold a candle to Those of Whom I Have Spoken.

Although there are some other types who come close ... but that's for another day ;)

by jan4insight on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 06:57:03 PM PST

•  You probably should. (0+ / 0-)

The comment is full of unsupported accusations.  Just the sort of thing that goes 'round and 'round in high school -- make up stuff about those that you don't like and repeat it enough until people start believing it.

It is extremely juvenile and immature -- sadly, though, we see it all the time.

Most people outgrow that sort of behavior -- if only everyone did.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 03:18:59 AM PST

•  I dunno- I seem to see (1+ / 0-)
            Tonedevil

a lot of the behavior she described right here in these threads- especially the pack behavior and some really ridiculous false equivalencies. Maybe other RKBA members are more amenable to discussion than the people who showed up here- as I said, I tend to stay out of RKBA diaries.

•  Nonsense. (0+ / 0-)

People disagreeing with posted opinions is neither "pack behavior" nor "false equivalencies."  This is the case even if more than one person so disagrees.

Asking people to support their assertions is neither "pack behavior" nor "false equivalencies."  This is the case even if more than one person ask for others to support their assertions.

Referring to facts in response to unsupported assertions is neither "pack behavior" nor "false equivalencies," no matter how many people do so.

Resorting to these false allegations is often seen as a good way to avoid having to support those claims and opinions, but such descriptions are still not true.

I reiterate -- if you want to make these accusations, make them to admins.  I realize the drawback there is that you'd have to support the accusations with actual evidence, but that's not my problem.

Otherwise, the people making these allegations and accusations are only engaging in the very behavior that they are falsely leveling against others.  This is a common tactic utilized by Republicans -- it's rather disappointing to see it used so often here.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 07:32:57 AM PST

•  Well that's just like, your opinion, man. (1+ / 0-)
                Tonedevil

It never gets old.
                We see things differently. When I see the same 2 or 3 posters jump on (sorry that's how it looks to me) anyone who disagrees, that looks like pack behavior to me.
                When I see people say that guns are like cars or cell phones in terms of lethality, that looks like false equivalency.
                YMMV.

•  And there you have it. (0+ / 0-)

You have your opinion.

If one person, or seventeen people, disagree with it, then this is a site in which they are meant to be free to do so (within site rules, of course).

Is it "pack behavior" when a dozen or so people disagree with something that one of the RKBA group posts?

Of course not -- no more than it is if multiple members of that group disagree with something someone else posts.

Complaints that one is "pack behavior" without applying the same description to other people who do the same thing is, at best, hypocrisy.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 08:02:06 AM PST

•  If there is an organized, coordinated (1+ / 0-)
                    Tonedevil

group of anti-RKBA people, your comparison is valid.  Doesn't look that way to me- the dissenters seem kinda random, but maybe there's a group I don't know about.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with forming a group or behaving as a group.  Just that it looks different and maybe more hostile because of its- groupiness?  Steven Colbert's got nothin' on me.

•  "their abusive, gang-like attitudes" (1+ / 0-)
      rockhound

Specific citations, please, or retract.