View Diary: "rural" and "dumb" need not apply (185 comments)

•  You can say that again. (8+ / 0-)

Send conservatives to FilthyLiberal.com for re-education.

by filthyLiberalDOTcom on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 06:30:11 PM PST

•  both are linked above (10+ / 0-)

here they are again:

The Rural Worldview's Death Rattle

and

The Walking Dumb

to be clear: I admire each of the diarists, and I share some of their points and angles. The line I'm looking to draw, however, is that we E Pluribus Unum types have to guard against ghettoizing or stigmatizing what amounts to huge swaths of humanity - and voters - by facile shorthand and stereotyping.

I like stereotyping for fun - tell me off-color jokes at parties, please! But politics ain't beanbag.

Hope is, after all, the currency of popular politics, and a coin surprisingly hard to devalue. -- Fred Anderson, Crucible of War

by ornerydad on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 06:54:03 PM PST

•  Oh, I read the "walking" one. It was well (8+ / 0-)

written. I may or may not bother to look at the other.

Yes, indeed, there is a weakness of some in the liberal community to gleefully attack their own over what they perceive as trusims, but aren't.  Rural whites=dumb conservative is one.  You can take a look at certain of my past diary entries if you want to identify another. Fortunately  there aren't a lot of those kind of liberals among us, just enough to cause major trouble when unity is required, and constantly drive corrosive wedges into the progressive community.

Send conservatives to FilthyLiberal.com for re-education.

by filthyLiberalDOTcom on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 07:24:46 PM PST

•  do we live in an age of triumphant sarcasm? (5+ / 0-)

(or is it just my breath)

what I mean is, we all the time buy into stereotypes about "the others" because it is easy and funny - except when it gets ugly and destructive. in other words, I agree with you on this point, and am hopeful about your take on the proportions.

Also, those "corrosive wedges" - (what a cool tool!) - where can we order a gross?

by ornerydad on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 08:00:06 PM PST

•  I think what is forgotten or is not understood (22+ / 0-)

well enough, is that folks in a rural community (or in a poor urban community) are living their lives, making a living, getting along as they can, and sharing the culture of their friends and neighbors and relatives.

I think that what is in the best interests of one community is often in the best interests of the other, however, the powers that be (on both sides sometimes) pit one against the other.

I think it is the failure of progressives to triumph in messaging over the last 30 years that should be given some scrutiny in this context, and we are now in a position to finally achieve that victory.

This will ultimately pull our fractured society back together.
          It isn't going to be easy, and it won't happen every night.

It wasn't just the efforts of capitalists that whittled away at labor, it was the failure of labor itself to maintain its integrity. Labor leaders became corrupted, labor was infiltrated by organized crime. Organizing stopped, the labor force was divided along racial lines. Etc. This coincided with the 'new South' and the movement of investment to the "right to work" states.
          What the inner cities have been experiencing for decades, esp. since the Reagan years, has been the decline of the black middle class, the increasing scarcity of good jobs; and in the last 15 years or so, especially since 2007, this has been the new reality for the white-dominant suburbs and rural areas.

So we're waking up. We're all in this together. That includes all those Fox viewers and tea party koolaid drinkers. Even if  they never face reality. We have a better chance of waking them up if we don't buy into their delusion.

You can't make this stuff up.

by David54 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 08:50:06 PM PST

I've travelled the world my whole life. I've lived in D.C. where I was born. I've lived in San Francisco, Monterey, Colorado Spring and Denver, not to mention cities in Belguim and Germany. Cities have their benefits, but, the traffic and crowding and cost, I was not happy. The noise and lights and sirens were more than I could bear. When we settled down, my husband (a Detroit boy), decided to settle in Kentucky. And we live way out in the country, nearest neighbor is my parents quarter of a mile away. I have great horned owls and coyotes singing at night and stars fill the sky. I walk the dog a mile and never leave my yard, she's not bored either. I have wild turkeys in summer and deer year round.
         Not sure how this makes me an idiot or racist. There have been times here I've felt unwanted and unwelcome on this site. Look, country ain't always klan, and anyone screaming it is needs to rethink their position.

"And while it was regarded as pretty good evidence of criminality to be living in a slum, for some reason owning a whole street of them merely got you invited to the very best social occasions."

by Shippo1776 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 08:05:02 PM PST