View Diary: "rural" and "dumb" need not apply (185 comments)

•  I still don't get it. (3+ / 0-)
    Spit, ornerydad, sethtriggs

Community-friendly still is wholly an urban or rural phenomenon for me.  I wretch whenever I have to spend any time in a suburban environment.

Don't even get me started about Easton Town Center in Columbus Ohio where I spent over a year while working for a client.  It sounds urban but Columbus city proper includes a lot of (disappearing) rural "towns".  It is ostensibly "rural" but it is quintessentially suburban in all of the ways that make me want to get the hell out of there ASAP.

That there are "suburban" towns that are real places ... that is most likely to occur if there is a major university or cultural institution in or in close proximity to the town.

I admit that I am incorrigible.

"Republicans have been fleeced and exploited and lied to by a conservative entertainment complex." - David Frum

by Glinda on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 09:12:21 PM PST

•  dare I say it? (1+ / 0-)
      Glinda

"There's no place like home!"

click-click-click

So, btw, how's your sister Locasta doin?

Hope is, after all, the currency of popular politics, and a coin surprisingly hard to devalue. -- Fred Anderson, Crucible of War

by ornerydad on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 09:29:03 PM PST

•  I have the same thing. (5+ / 0-)

Cities, I get -- there's all kinds of stuff, and diversity, and interesting things always going on. Rural, I get -- there's a closeness even if you see fewer people, a lot of the time, and there's different stuff to do, animals and plants and mucking around in creeks and stuff.

Suburbs? I don't get it.

I stay open to people from anywhere, but hard as I squint, I just don't get why people would want to live in them. I mean, there's nothing to do, and you have to drive everywhere you go, but you still can't have a goat.

And the most conservative people I knew where I grew up were actually from the encroaching exurbs. We mocked them at the time. I trained horses, and I had friends who raised sheep and cattle and had farms and orchards, but the ones with the biggest shiny trucks and the most awesome cowboy hats? Yeah, most of them had never been near a horse. Anybody with sense knows you don't wear the stetson at home.

So it was the image they were after, not the reality. Most of the really rural people I knew had a way more complex understanding of what they did and how it related to the world at large, even the conservative ones.

All of that said, I now have any number of friends in the 'burbs, too, and there's a wide variety of forces that bring all sorts of people to them. Needs for housing, worries about schools, etc. All sorts of valid, honestly -- my rural school was craptastic, and the ones here in the urban core where I live now are not exactly lovely, either.

•  something to be said (1+ / 0-)
        mashed potatoes

for Penny Lane...

by ornerydad on Thu Dec 06, 2012 at 10:01:56 PM PST

•  As I understand it (6+ / 0-)

the appeal of the suburbs for working professionals and union workers is that you can have a 3-bedroom house with a yard on a middle-class income, while living within an hour's commute of an employer who will pay you a middle-class income. Going rural would mean giving up the job (or contributing to exurban sprawl), while going urban would mean giving up on homeownership.

For the lower-middle-class, the appeal is that you can rent an apartment or townhouse in a middle-class school district with a bedroom for everyone and still afford to eat.

The upper-middle-class can have a McMansion in a gated community that looks sort of like a mass-produced knockoff of the city neighbourhoods where the truly wealthy live. I'm not entirely sure why this is preferable to a condo or smaller house in an upper-middle-class city neighbourhood - this is the one that makes the least sense to me.

"Let’s just move on, treat everybody with firmness, fairness, dignity, compassion and respect. Let’s be Marines." - Sgt. Maj Michael Barrett on DADT repeal

by kyril on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 01:28:36 AM PST

•  labor/work availability and sense (3+ / 0-)
          Spit, kyril, mashed potatoes

of wide open spaces, seems like a pure American distillation.

by ornerydad on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 05:23:22 AM PST

•  hey there! (3+ / 0-)
          kyril, sethtriggs, mashed potatoes

This is precisely why I live in in Torrance when I'd much rather live in the Santa Monica/Sunset/Hollywood corridor. I can rent an equivalent apt here in the 70's suburbia for much less than I could up there. I miss the street culture, but if I lived there that'd be just about all I could afford - watching the street culture. At least now I can afford to actually go there an do stuff occasionally.

47 is the new 51!