View Diary: I cant delete my account. (182 comments)

•  Well, that's what sprung to mind for me. (10+ / 0-)

But in fairness, this seemed a polite, non-profanity-filled request.

Now, of course, you can't really delete your past participation in anything, and I find it an odd thing to wish to do. You don't need to delete an account to just stop using an account. Heck, I took a couple of years off, nothing against Kos or the like, just life. I don't see the need to delete. If you don't participate, you hear nothing, etc. I think a lot of people think that by "deleting" it's somehow more official and everything they ever said is deleted. But that's not true. All still out there to be found if someone cares enough to find.

www.stacysmusings.wordpress.com

by Magenta on Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 11:41:51 PM PST

•  Unringing a bell- (2+ / 0-)
      rb608, Smoh

Why, for infos sake, can't one delete an account?

Occupy- Your Mind. - No better friend, no worse enemy. -8.75, -6.21<> Bring the Troops Home Yesterday

by Thousandwatts on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 12:19:11 AM PST

•  That's way beyond me. (7+ / 0-)

Other than having been here for a long time, I got nothing.

What I will say is that whether you delete an account or not, it's still out there somewhere. That is the nature of the Internet. It's all out there forever.

www.stacysmusings.wordpress.com

by Magenta on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 12:30:48 AM PST

•  Programming (17+ / 0-)

I believe the programming to delete an account would get a little hairy considering all the comments one makes that are replies to other comments or that are replied to.  Plus, it would take away from the flow of conversations, decrease site integrity and cohesiveness and just become an all around pain in the ass to maintain.

•  The database would be displeased n/t (2+ / 0-)
        The Marti, Smoh

Plaintiffs' Employment Law Attorney (harassment, discrimination, retaliation, whistleblowing, wage & hour, &c.) in North Orange County, CA.

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back."
        -- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 08:04:40 AM PST

•  Troll control (4+ / 0-)

It keeps previously claimed nyms and IP numbers to prevent duplication and to keep banned or GBCWs from coming back in disguise.
        Personally, this poster was polite enough that I move that this be considered a TTFN rather than GBCW.
        I wish there was more information why this poster feels so alienated here.  Seems to me that unpopular (or un-Lefty) positions are protected here, the gunfolks being a prime example.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 09:42:05 AM PST

•  Not as protected as you might think, (0+ / 0-)

given the level of vitriol we often have to deal with (that the community wouldn't tolerate in many other contexts.)

Not that I'm playing the victim card... we're all grown ups, and I don't really give a flying fuck in the fog what J. Random Internet Asshole thinks about me anyway.

And, while I'll give you "unpopular", "non-Lefty" I'll argue till I'm out of breath... there is nothing about Liberalism that requires support for gun control. I'd even argue the other way, but that would turn this from a side comment into a full-on threadjack, and I'm not down.

(Is it even possible to threadjack a GBCW? That's like meta-meta... such questions probably shouldn't be asked, they might well cause the Internet to implode.)

--Shannon

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." -- Emiliano Zapata Salazar
          "Dissent is patriotic. Blind obedience is treason." --me