View Diary: I cant delete my account. (182 comments)

•  as far as I know (17+ / 0-)

he is Chinese, and a well respected member here for years.

Ron Reagan: "Sarah Palin's constituency are people who wear red rubber noses and bells on their shoes."

by AnnetteK on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 02:36:48 AM PST

•  Taiwanese-American (18+ / 0-)

With (obviously) a good sense of humor that runs toward the ironic and excellent taste in classical music.

What about my Daughter's future?

by koNko on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 04:26:19 AM PST

•  It's only "obviously" ironic humor etc if one is (3+ / 0-)
        Jonathan Hoag, CwV, blueoasis

aware of the back story- otherwise it could (easily) be construed as racist and insulting.
        Great taste in classical music and a grandfather clause makes it acceptable?

But, hey, maybe that's just my thin-skinned cracker sensibilities.
        Dkos can be the land of pc landmines for those ignorant of the subtleties.

Occupy- Your Mind. - No better friend, no worse enemy. -8.75, -6.21<> Bring the Troops Home Yesterday

by Thousandwatts on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 06:09:17 AM PST

•  Rec'd for (3+ / 0-)
          land of pc landmines for those ignorant of the subtleties

I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves. -John Wayne (-9.00,-8.86)

by Jonathan Hoag on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 06:21:21 AM PST

•  well, it's very common that (3+ / 0-)
          Thousandwatts, koNko, CherryTheTart

we can say things about ourselves that would be purely offensive for anyone else to say about us. I don't know that that is especially  true of racial and ethnic stereotypes, but it is emphatically true.

Here one twist is that we have no immediate way of knowing whether someone's user name is self-referential. It's plausible that some forms of humor should be deemed off-limits on DKos because they are too easily misunderstood. I suppose that would be the stereotypically "PC" position -- but I doubt that matters much.

Election protection: there's an app for that! -- and a toll-free hotline: 866-OUR-VOTE
          Better Know Your Voting System with the Verifier!

by HudsonValleyMark on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 08:09:30 AM PST

•  I think that would seem self-evident, common sense (0+ / 0-)

would dictate that to be true, as in any public situation where a modicum of decorum is expected as a requirement to healthy debate and discourse.

Which is, I think, the reason for this conversation.

by Thousandwatts on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 09:47:24 AM PST

•  Absolutely. (1+ / 0-)
            Thousandwatts
            Chingchongchinaman is a white kid in Jersey.

My point is that it's an okay name according to Markos.

by Jonathan Hoag on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 10:27:19 AM PST

•  To those familiar with his diaries/writing (0+ / 0-)

It might be more obvious he has an ironic sense of humor.

We can get one clue from the diary series he has been posting for several years here: "Saturday Night Loser's Club"

Comment on his taste in classical music was just an aside and entirely my own opinion without much expectation to get CCCM or yours truly off the hook. And given the fact opera lovers seem to be an even smaller minority here, it's quite possible that would be taken to be another offensive personal quirk and is definitely not PC in some circles such as the chamber music groupies that tend to consider Italian opera wretched excess.

"thin-skined cracker"?  I would have never guessed; you don't seem very thin-skined to me.

Cheers.

What about my Daughter's future?

by koNko on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 10:39:13 AM PST

•  Not to belabor the point, but simply to make it; (0+ / 0-)

one would have to get past the name first in order to read his diaries and writing-

To those familiar with his diaries/writing (1+ / 0-)
            It might be more obvious he has an ironic sense of humor.
            In my experience, one generally starts with the title or  the writer, then reads the work.

As far as SNLC goes, I have read it and obviously even passing  familiarity with the personality behind the name might diffuse its general impact; but I do find it interesting that you seriously consider the choice of moniker simply, an

offensive personal quirk
            equivalent,  more or less to
            the chamber music groupies that tend to consider Italian opera wretched excess.
            Really?

As was said, apparently Markos believes the name is acceptable, so here at Dkos, at least, it's a moot point.
            In the world at-large, however, the benign, "quirky" argument would be a tough case to make.

Cheers.

by Thousandwatts on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 10:49:33 PM PST

•  Yep. RHIP. Tell that to the high school chink in (2+ / 0-)
      Thousandwatts, Derfel

Kansas who's learning to be politically active.

by Jonathan Hoag on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 04:56:35 AM PST

•  Ah phooey. (0+ / 0-)

There is a sandwich place here in Philly called Chink's for about 80 years.  It was the nickname of the guy who founded the place.  Don't you know there was a big flap about how it was racist.

I used to be Snow White. And then I drifted. - Mae West

by CherryTheTart on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 05:24:56 AM PST

•  80 years ago that "nickname" was okay. (2+ / 0-)
          Thousandwatts, Derfel

I don't know that there was a "big flap" about how it was racist, was there?

And what does that have to do with Kos and Meteor Blades banning people who objected to "chingchongchinaman" in the past? This isn't a new pie fight, honey.

by Jonathan Hoag on Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 06:05:59 AM PST

•  I have had that pie fight a number of times. (0+ / 0-)

Here.  I think it is a funny sardonically witty screen name.  I do not know where you picked up the bug, but stick something up there and get it out before it eats you.

I used to be Snow White. And then I drifted. - Mae West