View Diary: Why Aren't We Talking About EXPANDING Social Security and Medicare? (273 comments)

•  I can sympathize, but you'll have to forgive me (11+ / 0-)

if your wishing for "progressive militancy" sounds idle given the complacent way you're talking about being on the brink of losing everything.  There are so many radical things a person truly on the edge of despair could choose to do to defy unjust circumstances that I wouldn't even know where to begin listing them, and plenty of them are legal and constructive - but just wishing other people were different isn't one of them.

The achievements of the past didn't just fall into people's laps - they actually had to work on them for a long time, persistently, and largely on a local level for most of that time, and they chose to define their country by their own values and intentions, not by some abstract perception of what they think other people believe.  So let me reiterate: We do live in that country, and so will you the moment you choose to join it by exemplifying it in even the smallest way - by not asserting otherwise and implicitly handing America's bitter right-wing enemies the power to define it.

In Roviet Union, money spends YOU!

by Troubadour on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 12:36:27 AM PST

•  When you're in the (12+ / 0-)

middle of a crisis, which chuckvw appears to be, you simply don't have the energy to do what you're talking about.

I can't believe you would be so harsh on someone in such a state.

The banks have a stranglehold on the political process. Mike Whitney

by dfarrah on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 07:44:28 AM PST

•  Thanks for your kindness (3+ / 0-)
        melpomene1, Calamity Jean, aufklaerer

I'm not in crisis yet. Maybe when the trashbags containing my possessions hit the pavement... :-)

There are millions of people far worse off than I am at this point. Of course, one small medical situation could change that. I still live in hope of finding a job.

And you're right. My energy and imagination are largely consumed with my economic situation... like most of the many billion folks on the planet.

I basically agree with troub's point. I'm much more impatient than many folks on the site with the Villagers we've been (re)electing...

I seem to recall troub being much harsher in the past. He's kind of mellow now...

Those who do not move, do not notice their chains. Rosa Luxemburg

by chuckvw on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 12:01:52 PM PST

•  I have been politically engaged and (4+ / 0-)

to varying degrees militant for over 40 years. I may have even given the speech you are giving here to others over the years. I have nothing but sympathy for your position.

However, this is a partisan political web site, and increasingly our worst enemies - the ones who potentiate and enable our explicit enemies - are those we purport to be on "our side". That essential bad faith, IMO, makes it very difficult for me to discern an electoral path forward for now.

I see a future of mounting illegal and destructive resistance because other avenues of resistance are being closed, and the ruling elite - even self-described liberals - are utterly disconnected from reality. This situation is not historically unprecedented. A few enlightened 1%ers pulled us back from the brink 80 years ago. That probably would not have been possible without the pervasive fear among the Villagers of imminent violence and insurrection.

I agree with the question you pose in the diary. In that this is a political web site... When can we expect an answer from the pols to whom we contribute so much money and effort? Why aren't they talking about this? At least a couple of them? And one of them can even be Bernie Sanders!

Believe me... no one these days is more aware of my profound lacks and deficiencies than am I. I will keep my pessimism to myself in future, but it's based on much more than passing, reactive emotion.

Those who do not move, do not notice their chains. Rosa Luxemburg

by chuckvw on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 11:52:54 AM PST

•  Politics reflects the people, always. (2+ / 0-)
        chuckvw, lostinamerica

Even when it does not serve the people, we always get the government we deserve, sooner or later.  This is what we've deserved, so far, because we inherited a lot and forgot how it was made while those who were against it never stopped chipping away.

In Roviet Union, money spends YOU!

by Troubadour on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 12:16:32 PM PST

•  This isn't the whole story for me (1+ / 0-)
          aufklaerer

Government/politics also, maybe predominantly, reflects class and economic realities over which "we" have little control. Capitalist social democracy was designed to somewhat mitigate and mediate the harsher aspects of untrammeled profit reaping.

Our lords and masters now deem that mitigation and mediation (including social spending and environmental protection) a waste of their vast unearned wealth. How do we confront that? I don't know, but it does bear some thought.

They aren't chipping. They've been wielding axes since the 80s. Instead of resisting, the Democrats have largely tried to play both ends against the illusory middle.

Those who do not move, do not notice their chains. Rosa Luxemburg

by chuckvw on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 02:41:25 PM PST

•  this ... (0+ / 0-)
                          applies to so many struggles we seem to be having these days
          ...wish i could rec your comment over and over