View Diary: We Need to Kick the Crap out of the GOP on Medicare (104 comments)

•  I'm more concerned that Obama is starting (15+ / 0-)

from a very moderate position (that over $250K goes back to Clinton-era rates on income, no other major tax increases). Of course the idea is that's what he campaigned on (though he also pushed the "Buffet Rule" as I recall) and he doesn't want to bring up anything new. However, I think it would have been much stronger if we could have started with a demand to re-institute higher marginal rates on higher levels of income than $400K...before Reagan, there were multiple tiers of higher marginal tax rates for the truly wealthy, and there were not nearly so many people in those days making obscenely large incomes as now. If we started with that as a demand, we could negotiate down without giving up "entitlement spending."

"All governments lie, but disaster lies in wait for countries whose officials smoke the same hashish they give out." --I.F. Stone

by Alice in Florida on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 02:55:03 PM PST

•  I agree. (8+ / 0-)

I think that 50% on earnings over 500k is perfectly reasonable.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
      but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 03:04:22 PM PST

•  Hopefully that will come when the negotiations (1+ / 0-)
        twigg

start after the cliif is avoided.  And that will be just fine with me as we have some great new senators!

•  I really don't have high hopes for tax reform (2+ / 0-)
          twigg, xynz

with the Rs in the majority in the House.

"I believe more women should carry guns. I believe armed women will make the world a better place. Women need to come to think of themselves not as victims but as dangerous." Anna Pigeon

by glorificus on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 06:54:38 PM PST

•  I was thinking we should have (2+ / 0-)
        twigg, means are the ends

higher marginal rates for a million, 5 million, and ten million. $500K is certainly more than affluent but not "super rich" these days, and we should have higher rates for the highest incomes.

by Alice in Florida on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 08:51:20 PM PST

•  Capital Gains and Estate tax aka rich people taxes (6+ / 0-)

also will be going up.

•  Returning dividends to regular income (1+ / 0-)
        twigg

tax rates would be a big increase for people like Romney, but if allowed would also represent a tax increase (not that big, but something) for some middle class taxpayers (mostly retirees).

by Alice in Florida on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 08:53:59 PM PST

•  Only if their income (2+ / 0-)
          KenBee, tardis10

rises above the thresholds ... in which case they can afford it.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
          but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 08:59:42 PM PST

•  Actually, for qualified dividends (1+ / 0-)
            twigg

taxing them at all would represent an increase--they're currently taxed at 0% for people with less than 70K in taxable income. One might also say that anyone with 100K (and say $150K for couples) in taxable income "can afford" a tax increase, and that would certainly raise a lot more than only raising taxes for those over $200/250K, but that's not what Obama promised.

Maybe Obama is seeking to maintain preferential rates for capital gains and dividends for lower tax brackets, which would create a problem at the marginal rate jump (instead of just being an extra 4% on earned income, it would mean taxes on dividends more than double between $199,999 and $200,000).

by Alice in Florida on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 05:50:25 AM PST

•  It's not an insurmountable (0+ / 0-)

problem.

Somehow or other we have to get to a position where ALL income, for everyone, is taxed at marginal rates.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
              but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 08:53:06 AM PST