View Diary: Guns. Lots of Guns! (301 comments)

•  Correction: he wasn't wearing body armor. (4+ / 0-)

Just a 'tactical' vest.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 06:19:53 AM PST

•  asdf (1+ / 0-)
      KVoimakas

I know right, don't trust wikipedia it is the devil

The shooting occurred in theater 9 at the Century 16 multiplex (operated by Cinemark), located at the Town Center at Aurora shopping mall[2] at 14300 E. Alameda Avenue.[3] Police said the shooter bought a ticket, entered the theater, and sat in the front row; about 20 minutes into the film, he left the building through an emergency exit door, which he propped open.

It is alleged that he then went to his car, which was parked near the exit door, changed into protective clothing, and retrieved his guns.[4][5] About 30 minutes into the film, police say, around 12:38 a.m.,[6] he re-entered the theater through the exit door. He was dressed in black and wore a gas mask, a load-bearing vest, a ballistic helmet, bullet-resistant leggings, a throat protector, a groin protector and tactical gloves.[7]

There is nothing so ridiculous that some philosopher has not said it. -- Cicero

by tytalus on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 06:23:14 AM PST

•  Fair enough but... (2+ / 0-)
      tytalus, Miggles

You still wouldn't want another shooter firing through a dark, crowded, and smoky theater amongst hundreds of people.

•  I would if he was firing at the murderer (6+ / 0-)

As opposed to just letting the murderer run wild.
        they don't allow smoking in any theater on the West Coast anyway and if it was light enough for the shooter to be targeting individuals, it was light enough for someone to be shooting at him.

I was in firefights in combat at night in Vietnam, you do the best you can

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 06:42:23 AM PST

•  Except... (0+ / 0-)

Except that the madman has the advantage of firing indiscriminately.  I'm not comfortable with a bunch of people firing into a darkened and chaotic environment.

People with possibly no training at all in hitting a stationary target with good lighting.  To say nothing of dozens or people moving in and out of your sight line.

Another few people with semi-automatic weapons could have easily made the situation even worse.

•  ROTFL!! (7+ / 0-)
            Believe it or not, I'm not either.. NO NO I'm not kidding---that would really make me, um, uncomfortable.
            Just because Ive been in firefights at night doesn't mean I'm desirous of getting into another, I asure you.

but follow this closely: we're talking about something no one has any control at all over (other than the mass murderer)

Lets start with the premise that mass murder is bad---agreed?  So, when youre in the middle of the mass murder you need to do everything in your power to try and stop it!!
            Still agreed? You'll see it clearly  when you get there.

you don't get the choice of who's going to be there doing what you'll ony be reacting to circumstances as best you can in a melee at might where people are killing each other (ask me how I know this!)

And youre going to want to have a gun, I
            m REAL sure of that, based on not inconsiderable prior experience of being in deadly melees at night

Anythings possible in a hypothetical

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 07:15:17 AM PST

•  The difference for me (0+ / 0-)

Well, I guess the difference is that I wouldn't feel comfortable having a gun in that situation.  I've had exactly zero training with a gun.  So trying to make a clean shot amongst that level of chaos seems ridiculous.

And being that there is absolutely no training involved with getting a gun, I wouldn't want anyone else spraying more bullets into the crowd.

•  You Should NEVER Be Forced to Have a Gun (4+ / 0-)

I know of nobody who advocates requiring you to own or carry a firearm.

There are, however, an awful lot of folks with extensive training and experience with firearms who don't happen to currently wear any uniform who can and do carry a weapon every day without anybody ever being aware of it unless it is needed to prevent death or harm to the bearer or someone within his/her "sphere of influence".

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

by The Baculum King on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 11:46:26 AM PST

•  You won't have the choice (1+ / 0-)
                oldpunk

but if it makes you feel better, I will say I'm against people spraying bullets into a crowd also, put me down on the anti-list for sure. NO NO NO sraying bullets into crowds, folks!! Give peace a chance!

but here's another hypothetical that could happen: Some rasty-ass old Vietnam vet, who only sstarted carrying a gun when they relaxed the law, and  who also shot his first man in the back when at the tender age of 18 and 8 months, comes up behind the mass murderer, jams a .38 snubnose into the back of the shooters head and blows his brains to hell. Said rastyass old Vietam vet then fires a couple of more warning shots into his head to insure his remaining supine. (this is called "saving lives")
                After wards, the rasty ass old Vietnam Vet basks in the admiring glow  of his equally rasty-ass old Vietnam vet buddies, chortling over a new murder to add to the collection.

It could happen! I know people like that.

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 04:29:41 PM PST

•  There were a number of military personnel.... (2+ / 0-)
                theatre goon, KVoimakas

in that crowd.  As I recall, one or two of them died saving others... because that's all they could do, having been disarmed by fiat.

Because being armed could only have made things worse.  Right?

But the fact that you admit you have no training discounts your opinion.  You are welcome to it, of course, but uninformed ignorance carries no weight in real life.

•  Didn't you get the memo? (1+ / 0-)
              theatre goon

People fighting back against criminals can only make things worse.

Except that they can then never come up with a supporting example....