View Diary: [Update x2]Business Woman Faces Eviction For Feeding Pooties (88 comments)

•  I'm caretaking a feral colony and need help. (23+ / 0-)

Most of this colony have been TNR'd and there are just a couple, the wariest, left to go.  The colony is small, only 8 at last count, and will need to be relocated by the end of spring 2013.  Any of you Kossacks who may know someone on the mid to south east coast who might provide a relocation spot, please contact me.  By the end of March, this will be an urgent need for relocation, as I have to move.

Here's what we're looking for -  anyone who keeps grain-fed animals is going to have a rodent problem, so we're looking for someone with a barn who doesn't already have barn cats.  Relocating a feral colony requires keeping them confined until they readjust to the new location, and I will provide enclosed kennel fencing.  (Ideally, enclosing a barn stall with hardware cloth with a flap to the enclosed kennel fencing is the best solution).  I am also planning to provide a stipend for food.

These cats like people, some are friendly to the point of being pettable, but they are feral cats.  They've cleaned up a huge disgusting rodent problem we had .  (We keep a few chickens).  Most of them are also trained to use a litter box, which helps keep waste issues to a minimum.  I've been working with them for over 2 years knowing that they would have to relocate, and trying to make them as attractive as possible to a new caretaker.

•  I hope you find them a home! n/t (8+ / 0-)

I live in Florida... we're not strong with counting down here.

by weelzup on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 09:52:38 AM PST

•  Up here we call that in between group (11+ / 0-)

barn cats.  They're not quite one extreme or the other.  If you've got a barn, you've got rodents and if you've got rodents you've got cats.  Unless they're total assholes people up here let the cats be.

Any jackass can kick down a barn, but it takes a good carpenter to build one.--Sam Rayburn

by Ice Blue on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 11:23:55 AM PST

•  As long as they are spayed/neutered and (3+ / 0-)
        radarlady, JesseCW, Clues

vaccinated, I completely agree. There's always a risk of rabies in outdoor cats (which, statistically, carry rabies more than dogs in most places just because of their hunting habits and because fewer people vaccinate ferals than dogs).

Get rid of predators, whether large or small, and you have problems. Think Kaibob Disaster.

202-224-3121 to Congress in D.C. USE it! You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage them. "We're not perfect, but they're nuts."--Barney Frank 01/02/2012

by cany on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 02:26:05 PM PST

•  Varies wildly depending on which part of (2+ / 0-)
          cany, CuriousBoston

the country.

West of the Rockies, rabies is practically unheard of cats.  In the Northeast and parts of the South, it's really common.

Everyone should always vaccinate any cat that goes outside, and should be aware of relevant state laws when deciding whether to vaccinate cats who don't.

This place needs a PVP server.

by JesseCW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 03:00:49 PM PST

•  Here in CA, it's usually cats. Probably from bats. (1+ / 0-)
            JesseCW

At least in terms of domestics.

Where I live (so cal w/i the forest boundary), rabies carriers are thus for 2012 (here, pdf):

1. bats (145)
            2. skunks (10)
            3. fox (2)
            4. cat/dog/raccoon (1 each)

Prior few years look different, includes one cow, but still mostlyt bats/skunks/fox.

by cany on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 03:16:11 PM PST

•  No cats in 2010. (1+ / 0-)
              cany

Only four in the first decade of the millenium (here in CA).

In NY, however, 42 in 2010.

Mostly bats and skunks.

The biggest reason to get a cat vaccinated for rabies here isn't fear of the cat getting rabies - it's so the cat won't have to be destroyed or quarantined if someone gets bit and tries to insist.

This place needs a PVP server.

by JesseCW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 03:24:09 PM PST

•  We have a wonderful clinic (1+ / 0-)
          weelzup

that does vaccinations along with the spay/neuter here.  Took me ages to find one that would let me bring in a dog crate full of whatever cats we had managed to trap at a time.  So many of them required 1 cat per carrier, and had all kinds of rules making it nearly impossible to work for ferals.

•  barn cat buddies (5+ / 0-)
      Amber6541, cany, radarlady, JesseCW, Clues

I think this group might help or know of someone who can. They have a list of state orgs as well.
      Hope you find some help, we adopted a few ferals and they are great but yeah, takes time to make them feel at home. We also have a few outdoor ferals, trapped and neutered them but they are not interested in being inside. They live in our garage and we made a warm spot for them and feed them etc. Actually all the neighbors feed them, they are the best fed feral cats I've ever seen.

•  Thanks, sb (0+ / 0-)

I've contacted them, as well as any other organization I could find online.  Most of the organizations are very helpful in finding s/n services, and providing guidance on managing a colony.  Help with relocation....not so much.  The group you mentioned did actually reply back to me saying my offer was extremely generous, and that they'd put me on their list and start looking.

Unfortunately, there is not a long waiting list of people to take feral cat colonies so I know this is going to be a really hard thing to do.  I post a comment here from time to time, just to keep the idea in the backs of people's minds, and will be writing a diary about it once the election/holidays/fiscal cliff stuff is over.  Someone, somewhere is going to know someone who is about to move to a small farm and I hope they will have read one of my posts and remember where to get a kickass bunch of barn cats!