View Diary: Open thread for night owls: Raising Medicare eligibility age would hurt minorities most (163 comments)

•  Don't be too terrified- (17+ / 0-)

my husband and I have been on Medicare for a couple of years, and so far no problems at all. Neither of us had to change doctors. I don't really use it much, am ridiculously and inexplicably healthy, but my husband has had some problems ranging from minor to not so minor. He's always had his choice of specialists, and really everyone I know has had the same experience.

I'd heard some of the same stories about quality and access, but so far have not seen it. In fact, my husband was just saying that he likes the system much better than our previous private insurance.

•  I'm glad for you. You don't want the experiences (2+ / 0-)
      BlueJessamine, Eric Nelson

some of my family members have had.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 09:17:29 PM PST

•  Maybe it depends on where you live- (3+ / 0-)

we're fortunate to be reasonably close to Philadelphia, and there is a very extensive medical community. I do understand that in some parts of the country, a shortage of physicians can lead to doctors being very choosy about which patients they accept, and that can be a problem.

•  specificity is always nice in personal testimonial (2+ / 0-)
        JesseCW, Heart of the Rockies

so we can understand the exact anecdotal information on which you are relying

•  Sure. (0+ / 0-)

Long waits for treatment -- cataract surgery is the last one I remember.
          Cursory treatment -- heartburn...after a looong time, well -- I think maybe it's your gall bladder...Whoops! Ha! How do you like that? It was really esophogeal cancer.  Get your things in order. You've got six months tops.
          Inflexible treatment -- Medication making you vomit?  Here, take this ant-nausea med.  Combo making you vomit worse? Well, get over it.

Etc.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 05:43:18 AM PST

•  care to provide an anecdote? The examples you (0+ / 0-)

provide are a bit disjointed but as far as cursory treatment for heartburn, that is not unusual as 99% of heartburn is either trivial in causation and then you move to the other possibilities such as reflux disease or maybe a hiatal, unless there is some sort of red flag such as the pt being a heavy smoker or in certain industries such as farming

There is a flow chart of treatments  for various conditions as you can't scope every pt with heartburn because if you did, you may find yourself up for fraud charges if you bill insurance or defending your license with the medical board if the hospital is not paid due to unnecessary treatment

•  Ummm....All I ever claimed was that I am afraid (0+ / 0-)

of Medicare because of the experiences of people that I know and love.

I have not claimed anything beyond that.

BTW -- My FIL was a heavy smoker and, yes, that should have been a red flag.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 07:02:59 AM PST

•  then there was a failure in the initial history (0+ / 0-)

and also in subsequent histories. With the advent of EMR systems instead of classical charts there is supposed to be less of this.

However having lived with MC and w/o MC. I find I prefer MC to no insurance at all

•  Hard to believe. My FIL was never shy about that. (0+ / 0-)

But I have to agree with you: Medicare is infinitely better than no insurance at all.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 07:12:32 AM PST

•  question is if the history taker felt it was (0+ / 0-)

important or if the history were ever reviewed. With paper charts, there is a lot of information which is never relayed up the feeding chain to the doctor.  In 1984, average time spent with a pt was around 30 minutes or so (from memory) while today it is around 10 minutes.  accurate histories are one casualty of the demand for productivity

•  Hit the nail on the head there. (0+ / 0-)

We spend more money for less time with the doctor.
                      That will lead to big misses in care.

That's my big disappointment with ACA.  Lots of making sure people have to send money to insurance companies.  Not so much making sure that care is done in a rational way.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 07:20:18 AM PST

•  Medicare (5+ / 0-)

for ALL! Been there done that. If Obama give's into rethugs on age eligibility he is hurting the people who voted for him. Call your congressperson.. No Change to benefits. They are NOT entitlements. We paid for it with payroll tax our whole life.

"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between" Oscar Wilde

by angry hopeful liberal on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 10:05:00 PM PST

•  I have tried being insured commercially, (3+ / 0-)
      JesseCW, Heart of the Rockies, JeffW

being uninsured and having MC. I prefer MC

•  Ditto here. (2+ / 0-)
      gramofsam1, JeffW

At our age, most of our family and friends are on Medicare.  Our parents were on Medicare.  We hear (heard, in the case of our parents) no horror stories even remotely comparable to what our children and their generation are going through with private insurance.