View Diary: Why? CNN and NPR Present a Potpourri of Tragic Mulattoes Before a National Audience (285 comments)

•  NO I do not belong in your predefined box (1+ / 0-)
    mim5677

I AM NEITHER white nor BLACK. YOU have the problem. MY research is my life, which you want to ever so intellectually suggest I discard in favor of your racial chains. You are simply wrong about me, my experiences and my motivations. The tragedy is the fact you think you speak for "real" biracial people, the "not confused"ones who have "accepted they are essentially black" which is as goddamned foolish as pining to be white. What I am saying is I identify with the way I was RAISED, and ALSO accept and LOVE the color of my skin because I have the ABILITY and right to do BOTH as a BI-racial human. Something you apparently are both jealous and afraid of. There is no "mixed race movement" this theory is being driven by your fear of being lower on the "racial ladder" you so despise, yet need to justify your own antiquated racial views(I don't believe in this ladder, but without it how could YOU write this stupid fucking post?).

White mothers and their biracial children have had to survive and define themselves WITHOUT the help and support of the black (or white) community in many(most?) cases, why does that piss you off/make you tremble so much?  I don't need to ask a black person what to make of my bi- racial identity, they cant help me define it EITHER. Sorry you lose. Please just fuck the hell off, I think you want to make a case for the benevolence of the black race toward bi-racial people they helped create which in many cases is NOT REALLY THERE. Color IS only skin deep, after all. No reply needed, its your theories against my reality. Reality wins. Goodbye.

•  Not to discount your personal experience (0+ / 0-)

but what he said is true...  Bi-racial children have always had to struggle with their identity and the environment they were raised in plays a huge factor in that.  It's great that you don't feel the need to belong to either but not every bi-racial child is that lucky to be that secure.  Chauncey is just pointing that out.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing online commenters that they have anything to say.-- B.F.

by lcj98 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 10:44:38 AM PST

•  You are being generous... (1+ / 0-)
        tardis10

The diarist does have a lopsided point of view on this topic.

Mainly that bi-racial individuals that "choose" whiteness are doing it because of outside influence and that all things being equal they would choose differently.  Not only that but a bi-racial kid "choosing" blackness is due to some sort of educational process and deeper reflection on the more positive aspects of "American blackness"

My point being that he does put a value on it.  In other words, there is no tragedy should a bi-racial child feel more black than white.  The diarist in an earlier thread suggested I was white because my opinion differed from his so there is certainly a bias involved here.

You can choose both, you can choose black, but if you choose white or neither, it's because of your negative perceptions about black.

The struggle that bi-racial kids go through isn't created from within.  The struggle actually begins from in most cases black or white people that are struggling with their own identity.

"Do you think your better because of __?"

or

"You're one of them so you can't be like us."

It's certainly not one of these situations where we create this internal conflict out of nowhere, it is presented by the struggles of people that have trouble dealing with the concrete lines that were laid down before them.

Who ya gonna shoot wit dat homie, you'd rather blast an original instead of a phony, true macaroni, you don't even know me, and why does your gun say n****z only?

by mim5677 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 11:23:55 AM PST

•  don't presume to speak for me, i called you out (1+ / 0-)
          Plantsmantx

in a previous post because of your juvenile name calling and over identification with Whiteness. Biracial people can be whatever they want. They can call themselves purple striped green melba toast people. Don't care.

I am interested in how race works in this society. How some choose to walk away from blackness and their other raced identities. And what are the mental, social, and psychological motivations behind such a choice. Tragic mulattoes--just like self-hating black people--are real.

CNN chose to make a whole show profiling the former. That is fascinating to me.

•  Just making an observation based off your own (0+ / 0-)

words....

I don't know how my calling you a name makes a person white nor am I sure what "over identification" with whiteness is.

Not only that but how can you presume to be an authority on what over the level to which a bi-racial person can identify with anything without knowing their experiences.

Don't let your prejudice get the best of you.

by mim5677 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 07:02:26 AM PST

•  i like this, more evidence, i will explain (0+ / 0-)

yes, there are people, apparently such as yourself based on your comments who are desperate to be white and who denigrate black people and blackness. without taking too much more time on this issue, to say that someone "overly identifies with Whiteness" is to suggest that they are invested in either maintaining white privilege or in supporting its structures to their own gain.

Non-whites do this too: Clarence Thomas would be a classic example, as would someone like Michelle Malkin. In other words they are "sell-outs" or "race traitors."

•  That doesn't really explain it (0+ / 0-)

which of my comments would show that I am desperate to be white?

Which of my comments were denigrating black people?

Since you are saying you have evidence and I clearly have no way of knowing which comments were doing that why don't you help me out.

by mim5677 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 04:42:43 AM PST

•  just take a look below... (0+ / 0-)

I would ask you this...

If the diarist has no interest in anything but pointing out the struggle to indentify, why would he be calling anyone out as a race based on a discussion?

How in the world does someone over-identify as white?

by mim5677 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 06:39:51 AM PST

•  there is a biracial movement in this country (1+ / 0-)
      Plantsmantx

the Google is your friend. the library is an even better friend.

who do you think is pushing to modify the census? why has there been an explosion of those organizations in number and influence as of late?

You are so textbook by the way. Please share more.  You have lots of pain and projection.

This is a classic phrase some a person who wants to be a racial middleman or part of a buffer race:

"Something you apparently are both jealous and afraid of. There is no "mixed race movement" this theory is being driven by your fear of being lower on the "racial ladder""

You should read some Fanon. He figured this out a long time ago. There are also great Afrocentric psychologists and others that could really help you better integrate your psyche too. Read them.

•  Yes, there certainly (1+ / 0-)
        lcj98

is a biracial movement in this country, and it's predicated on their fear of and disdain for being on the same rung of the racial ladder as black people.

•  Or it's predicated on their desire to have their (0+ / 0-)

actual reality recognized. Why is there such investment in ignoring what people say about their own lives? Also, not everyone involved with advocacy for biracial/multiracial recognition are even dealing with black/white. There are a whole lot of ways to be biracial/multiracial. There's an interesting article on Swirl by a Japanese/white (Ashkenazi) woman talking about how she realized as an adult that her embrace of a monoracial Japanese identity was (for her) causing her to reject her Asheknazi whiteness. She did as the diarist advocates (identified wholly with her non-white side) and realized as an adult that it did not work for her. I have a friend who's Mexican/Vietnamese, who identified wholly with her Mexican side for most of the time I knew her (as an adult always) and then decided she wanted to finally connect to her Vietnamese side. She didn't reject her Mexicanness to do so; she added in her Vietnameseness (and where in a monoracial structure does Mexican vs. Vietnamese work? Which was she supposed to pick lest she be acting on her fear and disdain?).

•  But... (0+ / 0-)

what does their "actual reality" have to do with me? They get to be "not black". I don't want to do anything to keep them from being "not black". On the other hand, why should what they want involve trying to take my blackness away by joining the anti-black right in agitating to abolish official racial documentation?

They already have the right to be "not black". All they have to do is check off "white", or if they prefer, not check anything at all. We- meaning black people who aren't ashamed of being black- aren't the antagonists here- they are.

•  rather than (0+ / 0-)

seeing the value in their own lives as individuals?

Rather than being able to have rational thoughts about their own identity?

It couldn't be anything realistic, it would have to be based on fear and hatred because that's the most plausible scenario?

by mim5677 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 07:04:19 AM PST

•  Please (0+ / 0-)

suck my textbook brown dick. I'm proud of what I am and amused by your inability to accept it.

There are many white people that call me brother that will call you a n-word to your face, why is that?

There are many places I go where because of my mannerisms and speech I am welcome, and you are not. Why is that?

Are all of us deluded, because your theory says no? Jesus fucking christ NO, YOU ARE SIMPLY WRONG!!!!

Please get over your fucking opinion. Go tell bisexual people they must choose to be gay only, or something else constructive. You and I are not the same, we don't share the same racial societal acceptance (except for in the  minds of race-fetishists like yourself, which counts for shit except when speaking to the like minded)and I'm neither lost or trying to merge with your identity.

I'm not looking to think or act like you, or any white person for that matter, why does that make you sad? I don't NEED your black culture to love myself. I don't NEED white culture either. Some of us CAN be fine without a definition to fall back on. Jesus Christ are you fucking stupid.

•  you need some hugs. you also need to be a (0+ / 0-)

bit more mature in discussing these matters. as I said you are a textbook case of what we are discussing here. please do share more. i am learning a great deal from you.

•  in what way do you assume I am textbook? (0+ / 0-)
          •  These are your words: (0+ / 0-)

"As an antidote to such tragic mulattoes, Soledad O'Brien's Black in America special also profiled some well-adjusted black people who understand that race is a fiction. Despite the "race" of their not black parent, they understand that the one drop rule prevails in the United States, and these individuals gain strength and grounding from their identities as Black Americans."

I submit these people cannot be black and are not black, any more than they can choose to be (tragically) white. Yo posit that only one can be legit. in fact you attempt to belittle my statement of my reality and experience by repeating the word textbook. your simply a black racist, the dark side of the overvalued coin.