View Diary: NHL lockout continues: No hockey until at least January (116 comments)

•  May Bettman (17+ / 0-)

rot in hell.

Although I would like someone... anyone involved to stop for a moment and say "you know, it really is a crime we charge between $40 and $200 per seat.  Maybe we should trim back a bit on the prices."  Hahahahahaha.  $40 is for the last row in the house in Philadelphia and $200 is for the seat on the glass.  Price aside I much rather be in the last row.  Better seat for seeing the plays unfold.

Now, if I can only get Mrs Newfie to move to where we can see good Div I college hockey I would be happy.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 11:45:46 AM PST

•  You Could Not Pay Me To Watch A Hockey (4+ / 0-)

game on TV but in person, and I am a huge sports dude, it is the best thing I've ever seen.

Stunning!

This union is beating their players into submission with a sledgehammer. It is terrible.

But cause I think it is a second teir sport in this nation most folks don't notice. Anybody here that is a football, baseball, basketball fan even notice the hockey season should have started and it did?

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 11:50:38 AM PST

•  We'll start noticing in Feburary... (7+ / 0-)

After the Superbowl has been played and the local NBA team is in last place.

'Goodwill' between the GOP and the President is as abundant as unicorn farts - Me'

by RichM on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 12:26:45 PM PST

•  Depends on where you are (5+ / 0-)

I know in the Philly area there is a lot of crossover.  And if the Eagles were playing well then I think people would notice less but still notice.  But in the States it is a 2nd tier sport indeed.

And I hear you about the in person experience.  It is awesome (although I love it on TV as well).  That is much different than other sports.  Professional football is a snooze in person.  I'd much rather watch on TV (with a DVR is best).  In person, it really strikes you how much time they spend standing around.  Baseball - well the game itself is a snooze but I understand that you go to be at a baseball game not necessarily to go watch a baseball game - it is nearly all about atmosphere.  And pro basketball?  I find that pretty dull as well - it really strikes me as monotonous.  Although the speed of the game is far better than football.  I'd take a college ball game any day over the pros.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 12:27:49 PM PST

•  Hockey does not lend itself to good TV (1+ / 0-)
        Larsstephens

It's so much different in person. It's not surprising that hockey does obtain high TV ratings it just doesn't translate well to television.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 04:05:35 PM PST

•  If you know the game, it absolutely does (5+ / 0-)

but to a casual fan, if you don't know how to read the players on the ice, and you're trying to follow the puck...you're lost.

It wasn't until I went to live games, and then actually played, that I became a television fan.

"Kindly go render the fat in your head in a large kettle of boiling water. Thank you." - Bumblebums -7.38, -6.46

by balancedscales on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 08:12:44 PM PST

•  To me it does OK on TV (0+ / 0-)

An ambulance can only go so fast - Neil Young

by mightymouse on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 08:29:37 PM PST

•  It must be the games you watch (1+ / 0-)
          VClib

because hockey to the devoted fans translate very well to TV.  We have one of the best TV guys calling our games, John Forslund, who worked some of the Stanley Cup Playoff games last season for NBC. He doesn't spend all the time talking about everything but what is going on, on the ice, but is actually doing Play-by-Play.

I have been a full season ticket holder for the Carolina Hurricanes.  I canceled my season tickets in Oct. after 10 years as a protest of the owners insistence on screwing over the players.  Over the years I have gotten to know these guys and they just want to play the game AND get paid the $$ in the contracts they have signed.

Having Craig Leopold cry poverty after signing Parise and Suter to those LONG TERM contracts is just ridiculous.  NO OWNER was forced to sign long term deals and now they want to limit the term to 5 years.  Only 20% of the players have deals that are over 5 years, but those are the 'stars' like Crosby, Ovi, Staals (all three of them) Parise, Suter.  You can't field of team of just stars and it takes 23 guys to play the game.
          Owners are nothing more then billionaires with EGOS to match and have Bettman, the biggest egomaniac of them all representing them.  Don Fehr is no angel, just ask MLB fans, but he is trying to get the players the best deal and get a CBA that will help prevent a replay in 5 years.

The owners need to send Bettman packing, but that won't happen, until Jeramey Jacobs meets up with Old Man Wertz at that big arena in wherever.

Why do Republicans Hate Americans?

by Caniac41 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 04:39:38 AM PST

•  Hey, I learned hockey by radio (3+ / 0-)

listening to "Hockey Night In Canada" from my perch on the lower Columbia in the sixties. Never saw a game (except maybe one during the '64 Winter Olympics) until I was in my twenties. And I even remember giving a report on the sport in my sixth-grade class! (Most of them were probably unaware the sport even existed.)

If you can't say anything nice about the GOP, please post here more often.

by Omir the Storyteller on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 08:15:31 PM PST

•  Get a better TV (1+ / 0-)
        newfie

Hockey on TV is awesome. Especially with DVR so I can keep rewinding Toews to Kane GOAL!

+my beer is cheaper. $7.50 for a light at the United Center. I go to games, but only once a month, and one playoff game a year. The budget don't allow much more.

2012 presidential election. Never has so few spent so much to have so little effect on a national election. Citizens United and Corporations are not American Values.

by Blackhawks on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 08:27:55 PM PST

•  You have to know the game. (1+ / 0-)
          Blackhawks

I can concede that.  I enjoy it on TV for the same reasons you do. I can watch any game as long as Emrick is not doing plya by play.  I don't understand how anyone likes him.  Better beer for less cost and easy to reach snacks.  No $20 for parking and $80 plus for tickets and dealing with traffic.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 09:01:01 PM PST

•  I would've noticed (0+ / 0-)

if my SF Giants weren't in the midst of the post-season. That World Series run kept me from bemoaning the lack of hockey.

"If we ever needed to vote we sure do need to vote now" -- Rev. William Barber, NAACP

by Cali Scribe on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 10:48:57 PM PST