View Diary: NHL lockout continues: No hockey until at least January (116 comments)

•  There are no NHL hockey games going on? (2+ / 0-)
    Larsstephens, mmacdDE

sorry, didn't notice..  Is hockey actually a sport?  It looks like a bunch of guys skating around and beating each other with sticks..

"This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around..."

by cgvjelly on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 12:56:29 PM PST

•  it's a beautful sport (14+ / 0-)

And hockey players are among the most fit athletes out there...and among the nicest.  It's a fast breaking game, and lateral and backward skating is no easy thing.  They are as smart as football players, as fast as basketball players and as good with hand/eye coordination as baseball players. Best live action sport out there.
      Plus they are among the cutest.  And I should know...I am married to one who has 2 olympic and 3 world championship medals in the sport and who now plays for the sheer joy of the game (and to stay in shape).
      Seriously, it's a shame what the owners are doing.  The players gave a lot in the last deal, and are even willing to give more, but Bettman is fighting for his "legacy", and his job, and he has overreached. The sport over expanded, and the owners cut bad contracts...so the players need to bail them out. Bettman has had 4 lockouts on his watch.  Says about all that is needed to say.
       Plus, he and Fehr just hate each other.  Hockey players are among the least greedy of sports athletes, mainly because it's made up of Europeans and Canadians in large measure who are used to more equal income distribution. (LOL, but true).  And, the NHL just may put itself in jeopardy with the AHL, and the CHL and the KHL in Russia nipping at its heels.

•  kulta - I think as non-players it is easy (4+ / 0-)

to miss how well you have to skate to play hockey. I always think it's amazing, given the contact, how infrequently they fall down.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 04:21:16 PM PST

•  They work hard at it (1+ / 0-)
          VClib

I've heard of six-year-old Canadian kids out there on the ice in the winter learning how to skate backward.

Of course it looks easy when you've been doing it literally all your life.

If you can't say anything nice about the GOP, please post here more often.

by Omir the Storyteller on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 08:27:48 PM PST

•  I picked up skating late in life. (1+ / 0-)
            Omir the Storyteller

And was finally able to get the hang of going backward and feeling good about myself.  Then I began playing... yikes - totally forgot how to skate backwards - okay not totally but that is how I felt.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 09:04:10 PM PST

•  It's part of Canadian culture (3+ / 0-)
            VClib, equalityrules, NeverThere

I grew up in a fairly small city in Canada (~65,000 people), and kids who did not play hockey were a small minority.  I'd guess that at least 60-70% of boys, and 20-30% of girls in my elementary school played organized hockey.  If you haven't started by age 6, you're behind the curve.

Of course, that ignores the most common form of hockey for a lot of Canadians: pick-up games at the nearest pond, canal or park.  Or, if it wasn't cold enough for ice, ball hockey on the road or school playground. I got a ball hockey stick for Christmas when I was 3. (yes, there are sticks made especially for ball hockey - usually with a plastic blade that you could heat up to put your own custom curve in it, making for some truly welt-inducing wrist shots)

This is why the NHL (and AHL) are still around 50% Canadian players, and why we feel the pain of the lockout more than our American friends.

Interestingly, for some insight into public opinion around here,  my local radio station has recently been running their station IDs followed by "Oh, and Bettman? You suck."

•  I still think that the first (0+ / 0-)

male pro athlete to come out as gay while still playing will be in the NHL (or maybe high minors like AHL) thanks to the work of the You Can Play Project and tough guys like Sean Avery (usually an asshole, but not when it comes to gay rights) standing up against homophobia.

"If we ever needed to vote we sure do need to vote now" -- Rev. William Barber, NAACP

by Cali Scribe on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 11:01:18 PM PST

•  A great sport ruined by "businessmen" (1+ / 0-)
        Caniac41

Despite my sister being a school classmate of Wertz's kid (cough, gag!!!) back in the 80s, I never had any interest in hockey growing up.  Then I ended up at a D1 hockey college, where I fell in love with the game.  I started playing at the age of 26, and well over a decade later, I continue to be amazed at the physical stamina, technical skill, intelligence, and grace that it takes to play the sport at a high level.

Now that I live in DC, the Caps have until now been building a huge groundswell of local interest in the game.  Kids hockey programs are increasingly difficult to get into because there are many more interested kids than available slots.  My own daughter started playing at the age of 5, and she loves the game for making her faster, stronger, and more confident.  What she wants more than anything right now - what all the kids in her hockey program want more than anything right now - is to see a game in person.

This is the future of the sport right here.  These are the people who can make these teams financially viable in the future - or not, if the league continues to ignore their fans and developing fans.  There is massive growth potential for hockey in the U.S. and around the world (the NHL is increasingly attracting top talent and media attention from other parts of the world).  But not if they keep setting themselves back at square one every time the CBA comes up for renewal.

•  What a truly ignorant comment. (7+ / 0-)

Why would you even post in this diary, if not to simply troll?

There are a lot of us that love many things, be it politics, or sports.

You've obviously never put skates on made any effort to understand the game.  The grace, skill, power, and intellect that it takes to play the game well is amazing.

I'm from Texas and only found hockey when the Stars got here in the early 90's.  After a lifetime of being active and playing sports of all types, hockey is the one sport that truly speaks to me.  It has made me understand the real value of team sports, and turned a serious loner in to a person that is not only able to, but someone that actually appreciates being part of a collective.

Shut your mouth and read a little bit, learn something.  It'll do you some good.

"Kindly go render the fat in your head in a large kettle of boiling water. Thank you." - Bumblebums -7.38, -6.46

by balancedscales on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 02:13:12 PM PST

•  ice hockey is really a team sport (4+ / 0-)
        mindara, newfie, Cali Scribe, Caniac41

football is too, but it's so scripted. Hockey has more potential for unscripted creativity - also randomness.

Basketball can be a team sport as well. But it's more about superstars. One hockey star can get lost on a lousy team.

An ambulance can only go so fast - Neil Young

by mightymouse on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 08:33:22 PM PST

•  Football. (1+ / 0-)
          mightymouse

I find it so painful to watch pro football live.  Take me to a highschool game or college game but I'll pass on the pros - give me a big screen and a DVR.

And you hit on my issue with Pro basketball. It's more about superstars and loses me.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 09:07:37 PM PST

•  "I went to the fights and a hockey game broke out" (2+ / 0-)
      mightymouse, mmacdDE

That's one way of looking at it. There are many others.

It's like many sports. For me NASCAR is this way. I can understand the ideas, the tactics, the fact that a certain amount of timing and athleticism (e.g. reflexes) is involved, but even so, it just looks like a bunch of guys driving around in a circle.

If you can't say anything nice about the GOP, please post here more often.

by Omir the Storyteller on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 08:26:04 PM PST