View Diary: How I learned to stop worrying and love the gun. (106 comments)

•  Somewhat of an exaggeration, but of the civilized (3+ / 0-)
    TomP, Miggles, suesue

world the U.S. has all of the guns and all of the gun deaths. Seemingly, the converse of that is that if we had no guns, we would have no gun deaths.

So, in rewiting the Constitution, there would seemingly be alot of territory on the RKBA issue that potentially could be covered.

There can be no protection locally if we're content to ignore the fact that there are no controls globally.

by oldpotsmuggler on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 12:56:36 PM PST

•  Don't go to Thailand. (5+ / 0-)

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 03:14:59 PM PST

•  I loved the month that I spent traveling, unarmed, (1+ / 0-)
        suesue

around Thailand. And you?

(Hell, I never took any precautions in Colombia, and I had Colombian associates who were simply blown away that I could live through that.)

by oldpotsmuggler on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 03:29:16 PM PST

•  firearms homicide rate 3 times the US (8+ / 0-)

I like Thailand ok, but I mostly just stay at a cheap hotel just outside the airport. Sometimes I go to Udonthani for health care or the fancy hospital in BKK. Mostly I stay away. The police act weird. I know they are the source of most homicide. Murder for hire.

A guy staying here as a house guest for a week spends months at a time in some city in the center of the banana growing area. He's a human rights lawyer with a civil case against Chiquita. Claims it's not so bad. I think he's nuts.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 03:40:42 PM PST

•  The first time I got high in Thailand, the first (2+ / 0-)
            ban nock, KenBee

night in country, was in the stables of the main race track in Bangkok with the guys who cared for the horses of the King. Even I'm not entirely sure how we pulled that off, and I was there. Loved it.

Yeah, all told I hit Colombia around 10 times. Mostly flew into Barranquilla, and slept in El Rodadero, a few hours down the coast by Santa Marta. Cartegna and San Andres Island are great vacation spots, but alot of other parts can be pretty iffy if your not on top of your game.

Mainly, for Third World travel, I advise being conspicuous, being friendly, and not being stupid. It always worked for me.

by oldpotsmuggler on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 07:26:22 PM PST

•  second paragraph is about Columbia (5+ / 0-)

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 04:48:30 PM PST

•  On every other topic, we liberals are screaming (2+ / 0-)
      high uintas, KVoimakas

at the top of our lungs about how our country falls short from being on par with the "developed nations"; yet when it comes to crime - and an excuse to pass gun control - liberals begin wondering why don't fit in with the "developed nations".

The selective amnesia burns.

Non enim propter gloriam, diuicias aut honores pugnamus set propter libertatem solummodo quam Nemo bonus nisi simul cum vita amittit. -Declaration of Arbroath

by Robobagpiper on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 04:01:12 AM PST