View Diary: How I learned to stop worrying and love the gun. (106 comments)

•  I had 3 (8+ / 0-)

which I got rid of the week after I got my target letter from the Feds.

The Feds do not play, btw, for anyone in the thread that thinks these Federal laws are not enforced.  They did not come get me.  They sent me a letter and told me to come see them, then told me to go to Court and when to come back.  Then after sentencing to go home and they would send me a letter telling me which prison to report to.  My wife dropped me off.  I still have never been handcuffed after going to prison.  They rarely locked the doors and hardly guarded me.

My point being, they do not have to come get most of us.  They just say, hey we seen what you did, come here and work out your consquences, or else.

Hey! glad to see you. Hope you are doing well.

by deedogg on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 05:25:58 PM PST

•  according to a recent poll I'm one of the few (7+ / 0-)

percent of Americans who support returning gun rights to convicted felons. I also support returning voting rights. I include violent felons also.

People change.

My next door neighbor got in lots of bar fights as a young guy and failed to appear. Did 2 years. At the age of 60 he was very level headed no matter the circumstances. Guy would not get angry. I never felt anything but safe with my 2 young kids paying at his house with his granddaughter. Had a big assed pistol.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 06:19:39 PM PST

•  My point is that I am not (6+ / 0-)

a convicted felon.

It appears that the US authorities consider your previous history when you apply for a visa (Green Card), but then pretty much wipe the slate clean when they grant one.

Yet it is the case that my conviction sounds very similar to the one of deedogg.

I guess there aren't many folk in the same position as me, nonetheless ...

By the way .... I am all for sensible application of the rules. If we are going to deem certain classes of folk from owning guns, a simple felony conviction is a pretty stupid way of doing it.

Crimes of violence ... Persons society needs protecting from should be the only ones treated this way, and the only ones for whom jail is an option.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
        but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 06:39:30 PM PST

•  as I propose below, I believe it could be an advan (8+ / 0-)

tage to include non violent felons in that change.

To include violent felons is to not get the support for an overall package of thoughtful changes.

But I know what you mean, people do change..sometimes.

This machine kills Fascists.

by KenBee on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 06:43:52 PM PST

•  well, that's a good explanation of non violent (8+ / 0-)

white collar crime re: gun control as applied to non violent released felons....

And despite all the 2nd amendment discussion, this is how it is once 'in the system'...and this system is what many want for gun owners...it seems like cruel and unusual punishment to me.

For the right to self defense by gun to be taken away from a family this way seems to be a giant overreach, one that cannot be supported for much of any reason except the "guns 'r bad, m'kay" reasoning.
           A very easy way for liberals to appear reasonable while insisting on other possibly more effective means to control access, and maybe...maybe reduce criminal misuse of guns, would be to liberalize this.

That a non violent mj conviction should mean no guns in the house whatsoever means they are a target for home invasions for a clear example.
        This rule could be amended to allow one shotgun, complying with all public rules, to never be allowed off the premises under the same penalty as previous possession.

I suggest that this allowance be granted upon application to the appropriate LOE agency and a small application fee similar to any background check, given and allowing the legal purchase of said firearm.

I think that could be part of a package designed to gain greater and more effective support for  control of guns in the public sphere.

This machine kills Fascists.

by KenBee on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 06:40:16 PM PST

•  In the UK the an automatic (5+ / 0-)

firearms prohibition accompanies any conviction with a jail sentence greater than two and a half years. Even given the difficulty that already exists to get weapons for anyone.

However, the convicted person can apply to the original court for those provisions to be waived, and in the case of a non-violent, non-drug conviction that would happen as a matter of routine.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
        but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 06:48:07 PM PST

•  so even the UK is not as strict on this? (4+ / 0-)
          twigg, deedogg, high uintas, fuzzyguy

leads to two opposite views..there's a first!

much better...but the routine...I don't think a inexpensive one time simple sheriff/police level review is too onerous either.
            Maybe a duty to report the theft of such and the serial number if so.

Thanks Twigg.

This machine kills Fascists.

by KenBee on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 06:59:55 PM PST

•  It has to be set against a backdrop (3+ / 0-)
            deedogg, KenBee, high uintas

In the UK all handguns are banned. Period.

Your were a sporting shooter? Go find another sport.

Shotguns can be kept with a "Shotgun Certificate" ... Easily obtained, few checks.

Rifles require a "Firearms Certificate". These are not so easily obtainable and the rules are very tight. They cover storage and transport. They include a home visit by a senior police officer, and they don't last indefinitely.

Given all of that there is little necessity to pile even mor onerous conditions on non-violent offenders.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
            but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 07:08:48 PM PST