View Diary: No Republicans at Defense (181 comments)

•  Ilan Goldenberg ... (12+ / 0-)

..misses a salient point:

By appointing some idiot right winger to this position, you automatically side-line a Democrat who has displayed party loyalty.

What loyalty to the Democratic party has Chuck Hagel displayed?

I hate to even Google Chuck Hagel, because I know I'll find all kinds of ignorant wingnut bullshit he has pulled against Democrats.

Yet a Democratic president is willing to rob a Democrat of the opportunity to head the Pentagon, by appointing a right wing shitheel to the position.

Somebody please explain how this is good politics on Obama's part.

"You just gotta keep on livin man! L-I-V-I-N!" - Wooderson

by wyvern on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 07:44:08 AM PST

•  Whether or not it is good policy *should* be (3+ / 0-)

seen as immensely more important than whether or not it is good politics.

This place needs a PVP server.

by JesseCW on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 07:47:54 AM PST

•  What makes you think that Obama (2+ / 0-)
      wyvern, NonnyO

cares about pleasing the democratic party?

•  This was... (5+ / 0-)
        gof, mightymouse, NonnyO, shaharazade, Patate

..in the back of my mind, but I wasn't going to go there.

I realize it's an article of faith that Democratic presidents must, ever so often, kick their base in the gonads.

But going the Chuck Hagel route in order to prove how much you loathe your base is a bridge too far.

Chuck freakin' Hagel?  You might as well appoint Louie Gohmert.

"You just gotta keep on livin man! L-I-V-I-N!" - Wooderson

by wyvern on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 07:59:33 AM PST

•  Tell me a recent kick in the nads that the Speaker (2+ / 0-)
          wyvern, shaharazade

of the House, or McConnell have given to their base?  They don't do that.  Perhaps because they are afraid of their base, but they just do not do that.  On the other hand, we, the fucking retards, seem to be kicked on a regular basis.

I just want to see the President put up a good fight on something and win something that I care about.  Other than DADT, not much has happened to please me, and I actually gave money to have him re-elected.

And it feels like I'm livin'in the wasteland of the free ~ Iris DeMent, 1996

by MrJersey on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 08:52:13 AM PST

•  Idiot? Ignorant? (1+ / 0-)
      TXdem

Shitheel (whatever that means)?

Maybe you should google Hagel after all, you may find out a thing or two.

•  Okay... (7+ / 0-)

..I Googled Hagel & I learned a thing or two.

From just his wikipedia page, I learned...

Hagel:

Voted for the Iraq war
        Voted for the Patriot Act
        Voted for the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts
        Voted for No Child Left Behind
        Voted against Bush’s Medicare prescription drug bill
        Voted against McCain-Feingold[21]

If you are going to become a messageboard advocate for this asshole (you can ass "asshole" to your list), I don't see it ending well for you.

"You just gotta keep on livin man! L-I-V-I-N!" - Wooderson

by wyvern on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 08:06:53 AM PST

•  Not *necessarily* a negative (0+ / 0-)

Might just show he takes orders from his president well.

"Today is who you are" - my wife

by I Lurked For Years on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 08:09:07 AM PST

•  Let's look at Kerry's record (1+ / 0-)
          TXdem

Or Susan Rice's on FP.

Domenstic policy votes are meaningless as SecDef.  He'll have zero input or influence on domestic policy matters.

They have the billionaires, We have the Big Dog!

by Jacoby Jonze on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 08:16:14 AM PST

•  You realize many Dems have similar voting records? (1+ / 0-)
          TXdem

But it's okay if you're a democrat right?

"Today is who you are" - my wife

by I Lurked For Years on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 08:20:59 AM PST

•  Well... (1+ / 0-)
          TXdem

Many voted for the Iraq war (unfortunately), and Hagel's vote was done after he warned that it may be a serious mistake. Why he nevertheless voted for it, I don't know. No chiled left behind? It was a 91-8 vote. And so on... And yes, he is a republican, so he voted mostly as a republican.

Finally, why the "threat" to me?!?!?

•  This: (2+ / 0-)
          shaharazade, TXdem
          Voted against Bush’s Medicare prescription drug bill
          ... was a good thing to do.  Too bad more Democrats didn't vote against that shite.

As a person who is on Medicare and gets Part D, I resent the hell out of paying a corporation for prescription insurance that benefits only the profit margin of insurance and pharmaceutical corporations.  I'd much rather it be included on the pre-paid Part A and Part B of Medicare which WE pay for (when we are working, and also after we retire and Medicare premiums are deducted before Social Security is deposited in one's account).  Part D is all corporate insurance for prescription drugs, and we are responsible for paying that out of Social Security (either as retired persons, or as disabled recipients who get SSDI & also qualify for Medicare).

That clause in the Bushista Medicare Part D prescription plan said "buy corporate prescription insurance or else."

The plan for corporate insurance THIS time around says "buy corporate medical insurance or pay a fine of $1000."

by NonnyO on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 09:28:58 AM PST

•  Dems challenged on the whole party loyalty thing (3+ / 0-)
      wyvern, shaharazade, Patate

see, e.g., Dems caucusing with the GOP in NY & WA state senate, handing chamber control to them.

An ambulance can only go so fast - Neil Young

by mightymouse on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 08:44:23 AM PST

•  Here's the bottom line (1+ / 0-)
      TXdem

Obama should appoint the person that he feels is best suited to serve the needs of our nation as Secretary of Defense.

He doesn't owe you your preferred framing, he doesn't owe you good politics, he owes you the person he feels is best suited for the job. If you don't believe that you can trust Obama's judgement for these things then you should not have voted for him.

Shit like NARAL rating doesn't matter at all when we talk about Sec. of Def. What matters is competence and the trust of the Commander in Chief.