View Diary: Car shopping for a crossed-out generation (403 comments)

•  Omg we have one of those Impala SS-s (11+ / 0-)

My husband just HAD to have it....   I drive a VW Golf TDI and love it...  Did you look at VW GTI?   They rock for all generations...   Good luck!!!

•  The GTIs are awesome (4+ / 0-)
      ilo, weck, Christin, GayHillbilly

I had one for a few years but recently traded it in for an Acura TSX - needed something a bit bigger, and I drive a lot so I was piling on the miles pretty quickly - I hate owning a car not under warranty (especially something as expensive to repair as a German car) but drive way too much to lease. I love my TSX, and it's a great car, but every time I see a GTI on the road, I miss mine.

"How come when it’s us, it’s an abortion, and when it’s a chicken, it’s an omelette?" - George Carlin

by yg17 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 02:16:56 PM PST

•  I have a GTI. Sigh. (1+ / 0-)
        ladybug53

I love this car. I also have more tickets since I owned it than in my entire life before. It's too too easy, and fun, to go too fast. Also, it's red, and gets noticed by the cops. Seriously, my lawyer just told me to trade it in for another color! It's also had a lot of repairs, the tires are expensive....but I love driving it.

Before that I owned a Saturn coupe (had it 11 yrs.) and before that - a VW Fox. Before THAT, a Datsun B 310 hatch. And before that, in college, I drove the family '73 Nova.

You get what you deserve, even if you don't deserve it (Issan Dorsey, Zen teacher)

by kayak58 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 04:10:30 PM PST

•   our 46 year old neighbor (2+ / 0-)
      dwayne, NearlyNormal

Just bought the new challenger.
      Our 45 year old friend just bought the new charger.
      So retro cool looking.
      We just got new Chrysler 300.
      Hooboyee. :D
      God this 300 is gorgeous though. I love it.

We consume the carcasses of creatures of like appetites, passions and organs with our own, and fill the slaughterhouses daily with screams of pain and fear. Robert Louis Stevenson

by Christin on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 02:57:34 PM PST

•  I have a Mopar myself (2+ / 0-)
        mhanch, Christin

I was looking for something I could afford, but still just a little sporty...but not too sporty as my age, lest people think I'm trying to compensate for something.  Perhaps my subconscious was taking me back to childhood, as the first family car I can remember is  a Dodge Coronet and the second is a Ford LTD Country Squire station wagon.  So I ended up with a Dodge Magnum.  So far so good.

“Nice country you got here. Shame if something were to happen to it” --the GOP philosophy to governing as described by Paul Krugman

by dwayne on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 03:32:54 PM PST

•  Oh and BTW (1+ / 0-)
          Christin

isn't that a 2013 Dodge Dart that the OP used as an illustration?  Just sayin'.

by dwayne on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 03:34:01 PM PST

•  Shout out to the Maggie owners (1+ / 0-)
          dwayne

Do you have the Hemi? The multi-displacement feature is amazing on the highway. I have 2005 Magnum R/T that I bought used, and it is an amazing car. Not great on gas in town, but it is the first modern car that I have seen that you can actually repair. I swapped out my Thermostat today. $20 in parts and a whole 15 minutes.

Amazing cars.

Listen to the chair leg of truth! It does not lie! What does it say?

by mhanch on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 04:20:17 PM PST

•  No, mine's the SXT (0+ / 0-)

She's a 6 but she does what I want her to do on I-20.  :)

by dwayne on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 04:21:47 PM PST

•  I've never bought MoPar. (0+ / 0-)

They do look nice, I agree. But behind the wheel....well...for me they're missing something. Can't put my finger on it. It could be that I've gotten used to driving German vehicles because I've been doing it for 10 years now.

•  My father (1+ / 0-)
      ilo

Bought an Impala SS in 95. It is a bad ass sedan. Drives like a boat anchor with a Corvette engine in it. Powerful. It's been my mother's daily driver (dad's a farmer, a pickup truck is his daily drive) for years, and is showing it's age, but neither one of them want to get rid of it.

Used to love driving it. Now? Handles terrible. Needs suspension work, I think.