View Diary: Car shopping for a crossed-out generation (403 comments)

•  So funny! (5+ / 0-)

Exactly the same problem here.

I'm getting old enough to:
    1 - Have the money to buy a fast, expensive, luxury car
    2 - Really, really crave one
    3 - Feel utterly ashamed and out of place at being seen behind the wheel of any of those cars.

Added problem. I live in a apartment complex so no luck for a plug-in hybrid or EV. So I can't even plonk $120k (really at the limit of point 1) on that Tesla roadster that would mitigate point 3) a little bit. Fuck that !

Talk about a first worlder problem, though.

I deal in facts. My friends are few but fast.

by Farugia on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 02:32:16 PM PST

•  What part of the country do you live in ? (1+ / 0-)
      Farugia

Where I am , Santa Cruz , you don't need home charging .

"Drop the name-calling." Meteor Blades 2/4/11

by indycam on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 02:50:54 PM PST

•  I see a BMW in your future (0+ / 0-)

Ok, so I read the polls.

by andgarden on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 04:12:43 PM PST

•  No. A Merc. (1+ / 0-)
        andgarden

That's how it's going to end, sadly :-)

I deal in facts. My friends are few but fast.

by Farugia on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 04:17:49 PM PST

•  You care more about the luxury than the fast? ;) (1+ / 0-)
          Farugia

When I was growing up we had Saabs. I admit to feeling a bit sad that the brand is gone.

Ok, so I read the polls.

by andgarden on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 04:22:23 PM PST

•  You never drove a E-Class, did you? (0+ / 0-)

If you can get your hands on the wheel of a W211 E320 CDI, you won't be saying that. I had that when I was in Europe. A beauty. Monster torque, as much as a 5 or 6l V8 gasoline engine, awesome acceleration where it matters, at low speed, and it sticks to the road like a tick. And really comfy with that.

I haven't tried the newer model, post-2009, and the problem is that what I really like with Merc is their diesel power trains. Not very popular this side of the pond, even less so in California.

I deal in facts. My friends are few but fast.

by Farugia on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 07:09:55 PM PST

•  Who cares what you look like in it? (0+ / 0-)

Buy what you want and rock out.  Seriously, I can't remember that last time I saw a Ferarri, Porsche, or Lamborghini being driven by anyone younger than 40.  Drive one of those when you're young, and you look like a drug dealer.

And those guys who buy one of those to feel younger?  I bet they feel a LOT younger when they're plowin' a different woman every weekend.  Personally I would not buy a car for that reason, but I know of guys who have, and the cars definitely work as advertised.

"When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions" ~ Kurt Cobain, Territorial Pissings

by Subterranean on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 06:37:42 PM PST