View Diary: I Have Twin Boys In Kindergarten Right Now (80 comments)

•  If You Believe That, You're Dead Inside (6+ / 0-)

n/t

This post is dedicated to myself, without whom, I'd be somebody else. Though I'd still be an asshole. My Music: [http://www.myspace.com/beetwasher]

by Beetwasher on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 01:23:42 PM PST

•  Was that a response? Tell me! (1+ / 0-)
      hester

What can you do?

Any nutcase can go buy these guns or steal them from neighbors/parents.

I've got an idea?  Ban handguns.  No?  Well, my point stands that there is nothing you can do.

"So what if a guy threw a shoe at me!"

by FoodChillinMFr on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 01:27:49 PM PST

•  Yes, You're Dead Inside, There's A Lot To Do (4+ / 0-)
        rigcath, KrazyKitten, HappyinNM, Matt Z

The first step is recognizing there's a big problem and discussing the issue and possibilities.

To say there's nothing we can do and we just have to live it makes you one sick, empty mutherfucker.

by Beetwasher on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 01:29:29 PM PST

•  I just picked up my 1st and 3rd grader. (1+ / 0-)
          iburl

I'm not empty and sad I assure you.

but, you still haven't given me a response other than "sick empty mfr".

I'll give you a realistic starting point.  We could increase access to mental health care.

Other than that you can get reeeally mad at automatic rifles and long clips.  Too bad we can't do that because these were handguns.

Limit ammo?  You'll get people stockpilling ammo.

Limit access to handguns?  That's just not realistic.

So I guess I'm still that sick empty fcker.

"So what if a guy threw a shoe at me!"

by FoodChillinMFr on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 01:56:39 PM PST

•  Mental Health Is One Part (4+ / 0-)

No one denies that, but there's another part and it has to do with the easy access to guns that these people have.

I don't have all the answers, but I have heart enough to start looking for them. You apparently think everything is just fine.

You can't screen every mentally ill person in this country, but YOU can screen everyone who wants to buy a gun and make sure they are NOT mentally ill (or try your best to do so).

No one needs a gun NOW or so quickly they can't be screened first.

The first step to solving a problem is recognizing it.

You're already throwing up your hands and saying it can't be done.

You're guns are more important to you than the lives of these kids.

This shooter should NEVER have had access to these guns. NEVER.

by Beetwasher on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 02:00:00 PM PST

•  Here's what we do (2+ / 0-)
            Beetwasher, Marc in KS

talk about it and start pushing back against the rhetoric of violence to build a quorum against easy access to guns.

Elect representatives who will appoint and confimr sane judges and justices.

If need be, abolish the second amendment and make sure that anyone who has a gun has PROVEN they are responsible and capable to handle it.

It starts with making the case and convincing others

Hay hombres que luchan un dia, y son buenos Hay otros que luchan un año, y son mejores Hay quienes luchan muchos años, y son muy buenos. Pero hay los que luchan toda la vida. Esos son los imprescendibles.

by Mindful Nature on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 03:31:41 PM PST

•  I think you're proving his point. (0+ / 0-)

If the only idea is for us to discuss this, maybe he's right.

•  Discussion Is The Start (0+ / 0-)

Not the end.  Those who believe, like that poster, that there's nothing we can do and therefore shouldn't even bother and just have to deal with it, are selfish and stupid.

It STARTS with discussion. There ARE solutions. To deny that is sick. To insist we have to live with it is crazy. And to love you're right to have a gun more than the lives of these kids is disgusting and selfish.

by Beetwasher on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 02:32:33 PM PST

•  i hate guns. (1+ / 0-)
              Pete Cortez

But i think he's right - there's nothing we can do. If you have zero ideas yourself, how can you insist that there is one?

•  Bullshit, I Have PLENTY OF Ideas (0+ / 1-)
                Hidden by:
                Mindful Nature

Mental health screening and longer waiting periods for ALL Gun purchases, for starters...Limits on the number of guns you can purchase etc. Will those work? They could, but it STARTS with discussion.

There's nothing we can do? You're full of shit. You love guns, don't piss up my leg and tell me it's raining.

by Beetwasher on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 02:42:06 PM PST

•  No, those ideas won't stop someone (1+ / 0-)
                  Pete Cortez

From killing kids like this. They are ideas, but they're not ideas that work.

•  You are dead and empty, sick and diseased (0+ / 1-)
                    Hidden by:
                    Mindful Nature

as is evidenced by your complete lack of motivation to even attempt a solution.

I will not hold back my true feelings for cretins such as you any longer.  You throw everything you have in the way of sanity to protect your guns, even at the expense of these sweet innocents.

You disgust me.

by Beetwasher on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 03:08:01 PM PST

•  Banning worked so well with drugs & (1+ / 0-)
        cactusflinthead

liquor, it's just bound to solve the problem of violence if we ban guns.

Sure.

Believe that all you want.
        Ignore the real problem.
        Don't even admit there's mental illness involved here.

Just give in to your fears and wants first and foremost, and
        "to hell with the gun nuts".

The guy who shot up that school wasn't a gun nut. He was a nut with a gun. There's a huge difference, just like there's a huge difference between Pat Robertson's followers and real Christians.

But of course, this is not the time to discuss reality or the refusal of this entire nation to address its attitude toward mental illness, because it's so much easier to run in circles and scream GUNS GUNS GUNS BAN BAN BAN.

by BlackSheep1 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 01:46:20 PM PST

•  I wasn't suggesting banning guns. (0+ / 0-)

My point was that "if you can't ban guns, then you've got nothin'.  Meaning, any talk of gun control right now is a little crazy, cause it aint happening.

"So what if a guy threw a shoe at me!"

by FoodChillinMFr on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 02:00:38 PM PST

•  What's Crazy Is Doing Nothing (7+ / 0-)

That is fucking crazy. No one said ban all guns. But you can't begin the journey to take steps to make sure access to guns is MUCH MORE REGULATED, in addition to improving access to MH services.

We will never completely stop gun violence, but we can try to move in the right direction.

Not doing so is fucking nuts. And heartless. To say we can't do anything is, quite frankly disgusting and selfish.

by Beetwasher on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 02:06:14 PM PST

•  I'll say it. Ban all guns. (2+ / 0-)
              ltsply2, Beetwasher

One doesn't have to be mentally ill at the time they purchase a gun. But all people have the capacity for anger. Serious anger. When I was a young adult, it was the late '60's. I, along with all those who demonstrated against the war, was a peacenik. I couldn't even imagine myself striking out at another person. Fast forward to the early '80's. My husband (now ex), knowing my strong feelings against it, took my 3 year old daughter for a ride on his motorcycle. He had a helmet. She was wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals, and no helmet. When they got back, I went after him with a small limb from a tree. That's when I realized that I was capable of homicide. I really wanted to kill him. Just don't get between this mother and the safety of her child. Was I crazy? Absolutely! If I had had a gun, he would have been a dead man. And, no, I'm not mentally ill.

•  Works in other places (2+ / 0-)
          Beetwasher, popsnet

I'm always amazed at the ability of American to a) look at a problem, b) look at the SOLUTIONS other have implemented and c) reach the conclusion that there's no solution to the problem.

Maybe teachingelementary logic in schools might work.

by Mindful Nature on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 03:33:43 PM PST

•  It's more than guns (2+ / 0-)
          popsnet, kirbybruno

We need to look at our entire society, which is extremely violent.

We promote violence, we glory in it -- look at football, we teach children to play it from the earliest years. We have the largest military in the world, with no signs of being willing to reduce it anywhere. Our advertising industry promotes fast, macho cars and sneers at people who drive slower, less flashy means of transport.

We invade ancient societies on trumped-up "evidence," then procede to elect for another term the people responsible for the carnage. We are violent, misogynistic, tough, rough, and uncaring of the rights and feelings of others.

If we were willing to do some honest introspection, we might have a chance of addressing the overwhelming tide of guns that threatens to drown and destroy what passes for civilized society in this country.

The truth is rarely pure and never simple. -- Oscar Wilde

by Mnemosyne on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 03:49:39 PM PST

•  Don't ban all. (1+ / 0-)
          Beetwasher

Regulate most, ban those designed to kill people.

That used to be what we did. Nobody thought it was crazy, then.

Republicans chap my ass