View Diary: I Have Twin Boys In Kindergarten Right Now (80 comments)

•  Banning worked so well with drugs & (1+ / 0-)
    cactusflinthead

liquor, it's just bound to solve the problem of violence if we ban guns.

Sure.

Believe that all you want.
    Ignore the real problem.
    Don't even admit there's mental illness involved here.

Just give in to your fears and wants first and foremost, and
    "to hell with the gun nuts".

The guy who shot up that school wasn't a gun nut. He was a nut with a gun. There's a huge difference, just like there's a huge difference between Pat Robertson's followers and real Christians.

But of course, this is not the time to discuss reality or the refusal of this entire nation to address its attitude toward mental illness, because it's so much easier to run in circles and scream GUNS GUNS GUNS BAN BAN BAN.

by BlackSheep1 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 01:46:20 PM PST

•  I wasn't suggesting banning guns. (0+ / 0-)

My point was that "if you can't ban guns, then you've got nothin'.  Meaning, any talk of gun control right now is a little crazy, cause it aint happening.

"So what if a guy threw a shoe at me!"

by FoodChillinMFr on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 02:00:38 PM PST

•  What's Crazy Is Doing Nothing (7+ / 0-)

That is fucking crazy. No one said ban all guns. But you can't begin the journey to take steps to make sure access to guns is MUCH MORE REGULATED, in addition to improving access to MH services.

We will never completely stop gun violence, but we can try to move in the right direction.

Not doing so is fucking nuts. And heartless. To say we can't do anything is, quite frankly disgusting and selfish.

This post is dedicated to myself, without whom, I'd be somebody else. Though I'd still be an asshole. My Music: [http://www.myspace.com/beetwasher]

by Beetwasher on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 02:06:14 PM PST

•  I'll say it. Ban all guns. (2+ / 0-)
          ltsply2, Beetwasher

One doesn't have to be mentally ill at the time they purchase a gun. But all people have the capacity for anger. Serious anger. When I was a young adult, it was the late '60's. I, along with all those who demonstrated against the war, was a peacenik. I couldn't even imagine myself striking out at another person. Fast forward to the early '80's. My husband (now ex), knowing my strong feelings against it, took my 3 year old daughter for a ride on his motorcycle. He had a helmet. She was wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals, and no helmet. When they got back, I went after him with a small limb from a tree. That's when I realized that I was capable of homicide. I really wanted to kill him. Just don't get between this mother and the safety of her child. Was I crazy? Absolutely! If I had had a gun, he would have been a dead man. And, no, I'm not mentally ill.

•  Works in other places (2+ / 0-)
      Beetwasher, popsnet

I'm always amazed at the ability of American to a) look at a problem, b) look at the SOLUTIONS other have implemented and c) reach the conclusion that there's no solution to the problem.

Maybe teachingelementary logic in schools might work.

Hay hombres que luchan un dia, y son buenos Hay otros que luchan un año, y son mejores Hay quienes luchan muchos años, y son muy buenos. Pero hay los que luchan toda la vida. Esos son los imprescendibles.

by Mindful Nature on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 03:33:43 PM PST

•  It's more than guns (2+ / 0-)
      popsnet, kirbybruno

We need to look at our entire society, which is extremely violent.

We promote violence, we glory in it -- look at football, we teach children to play it from the earliest years. We have the largest military in the world, with no signs of being willing to reduce it anywhere. Our advertising industry promotes fast, macho cars and sneers at people who drive slower, less flashy means of transport.

We invade ancient societies on trumped-up "evidence," then procede to elect for another term the people responsible for the carnage. We are violent, misogynistic, tough, rough, and uncaring of the rights and feelings of others.

If we were willing to do some honest introspection, we might have a chance of addressing the overwhelming tide of guns that threatens to drown and destroy what passes for civilized society in this country.

The truth is rarely pure and never simple. -- Oscar Wilde

by Mnemosyne on Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 03:49:39 PM PST

•  Don't ban all. (1+ / 0-)
      Beetwasher

Regulate most, ban those designed to kill people.

That used to be what we did. Nobody thought it was crazy, then.

Republicans chap my ass