View Diary: Saturday Morning Home Repair Blog (55 comments)

•  contractor trying to pull a fast one (13+ / 0-)

could someone point me in the right direction to figure out the price difference between a 1 and 2 zone HVAC.

We had paid for a 2 zone, wasn't installed, but now they are offering a $175 credit.

I think that is laughably low.

Have you hugged your Boeuf Bourguignon today?

by wretchedhive on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:06:59 AM PST

•  The offer does sound low, but a lot depends on the (10+ / 0-)

individual installation. One way to verify might be to make noises about insisting on the exact terms of the contract, what lawyers call specific performance, just to see if the offer starts going up.
      Bringing what is already installed up to contract specifications just might be ungodly expensive for the contractor. If so, he'll pay a bundle to get out of doing it.

Join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news and views written from a black pov—everyone is welcome.

by DaNang65 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:31:13 AM PST

•  Oh God Yes (11+ / 0-)
        If so, he'll pay a bundle to get out of doing it.
        He actually owes you a whole new thing, or at least would in California. Ask him if he's familiar with the laws about Failure to Perform.

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:48:27 AM PST

pretty much the same thing that my wife said.

We should tell them "ok, go ahead, put it in", and see if they balk.

Have you hugged your Boeuf Bourguignon today?

by wretchedhive on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:50:53 AM PST

•  A good lawyer would just kick ass on this (10+ / 0-)

But I doubt if that would get that far. tell him to do it. Having a lawyer write a letter would be the next step.

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 08:10:10 AM PST

•  I really don't want to have to go down that path, (8+ / 0-)

lawsuits suck, and we can't afford one in the first place

But I need to figure out how to go about doing an audit of the the whole job.

I had a brief conversation with a very nice lady at my state's Department of Consumer Protection, and am in the process of collating all emails and revised contracts trying to figure out exactly where we stand as there are many, many issues with the renovation.

Have you hugged your Boeuf Bourguignon today?

by wretchedhive on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 08:21:42 AM PST

•  Probably don't need a lawsuit (7+ / 0-)

Usually a strongly worded letter from a lawyer will do the trick.  Once they realized how badly they blew it, they'll fold.  Before you do that, call him up and tell him that you've been talking with the Dept of Consumer Protection, and they were VERY interested in your case.  Follow up with a registered mail letter asking them to follow their own damn contract and install your 2-zone system already, cc'd to DCP.  That should get their attention.

The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter. -Mark Twain

by boatgeek on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 09:46:30 AM PST

•  Agreed-I've been in that spot twice and won both (6+ / 0-)

When a contractor installed our on-demand water heater they put it in the far corner of the cellar, against our chosen spot near the old heater, and that added a huge wait for hot water upstairs as 40+ feet of excess pipe had to fill, so I asked them to move it - basically a complete re-installation, which they balked at; until I pointed out that the contract called for the 1st location, and that I had already spoken with a State dept overseeing their grant awards (energy-qualified grant money paid half of the project), and THEY wanted to come out and look it over. Contractor quickly agreed to re-do it, I quickly agreed to stall the State... forever, and we both parted happy and content.

At another house electrician hired college kids to install light switches for outlets in several rooms and they blew it - each switch tripped a breaker  when I flipped it! They also broke a door lock to get in when we weren't home one day, and failed to run wire for my welder as specified. The boss was grumpy when he came to fix the first shorted switch after the inspector called him with a fail, and gave me a hard time, even wanted more money to fix everything on the punch list! Anticipating this, I hadn't told him or the inspector about the other bad switches, so when he had to come back a 2nd time, he groused even MORE about what it was costing him, so I offered to: either let him keep coming back unless he lived up to the contract, of I could show him the rest of the problems in return for finishing the punch list w/o bitching or extra cost. He agreed with the 2nd option, and finished it to my satisfaction that day - and we parted happy.

All they usually need is to call their bluff, and throw in some incentive - like keeping heat off of them because it invites unwanted attention to their OTHER jobs, or which will cost them some of their profit - which is easily enough done, as the others outlined.

Stick to your guns, you're in the right!

"...greed and selfishness and striving for undue riches can never bring lasting happiness or good to the individual or to his neighbors." FDR

by CodeTalker on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 11:11:22 AM PST

•  I buy zone dampers for about $85.00. The actual (9+ / 0-)

controller to operate a zoned system is around $450.00. Wire and supplies are another $50.00 or so. A days labor to install and program is worth about $700.00. Not sure why you would want a (2) zone system. Since these zone systems vote democratically you need an odd number of zones. (3) would be ideal. If (2) want heat the overide the one that is not calling and turn on the heat and open their respective dampers. The third damper would shut down. The above numbers are my cost with out mark up by the way.

" The whole world is about three drinks behind" Humphrey Bogart.

by flatford39 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 08:55:22 AM PST