View Diary: Midday open thread (94 comments)

•  Whatever "good evidence" is (7+ / 0-)

in reference to why the shooter went on a rampage, I'd really like some information about whatever possessed the boy's mother to collect guns and leave them where her son, whom she herself had described as "mentally disturbed," could get to them.

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 12:12:07 PM PST

•  Did his mother collect guns? (0+ / 0-)

I had heard only that he used her guns, but there are many reasons to own guns -- protection, recreation, hunting, etc.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 12:30:49 PM PST

•  Apparently, yes (1+ / 0-)
        dinotrac

She bragged to neighbors and her landscape guy about her gun collection and about taking her kids to the shooting range.

Crazy b*tch.  Just my opinion.

Democratic Leaders must be very clear they stand with the working class of our country. Democrats must hold the line in demanding that deficit reduction is done fairly -- not on the backs of the elderly, the sick, children and the poor.

by Betty Pinson on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 12:50:32 PM PST

•  A gun collector should take safety precautions. (0+ / 0-)

I guess, though, that you don't really try to protect yourself against your adult children, but...safes, trigger locks, etc -- seems prudent at the very least.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 12:54:18 PM PST

•  From news reports this morning, (4+ / 0-)
        DRo, dinotrac, sukeyna, FiredUpInCA

she owned a number of guns - handguns and rifles - and prided herself on collecting multiple guns and being a crack shot.  Yet she couldn't protect herself from being shot by her own son.  Sorta puts the lie to allowing people to keep guns to protect themselves or others.

by SueDe on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 12:54:36 PM PST

•  You would not ordinarily be on guard against a (0+ / 0-)

family member -- especially one who lives with you.

I wonder if she took any safety precautions.
          Easy to presume that she didn't, but also easy to imagine that her adult son would have access to the weapons.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 01:09:14 PM PST

•  Easy access to weapons (1+ / 0-)
            dinotrac

for someone - adult child or not, family member or not - who she herself described as "mentally disturbed"?  The more details we learn about her, the more she sounds as mentally disturbed as her son.

by SueDe on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 02:34:07 PM PST

• Rescued (23)
  • Education (23)
  • Republicans (22)
  • Health Care (21)
  • Politics (21)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site