View Diary: I was asked to be faithless (31 comments)

•  Turn the letter in. (20+ / 0-)

Let the FBI handle it.

Float like a manhole cover, sting like a sash weight! Clean Coal Is A Clinker!

by JeffW on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:14:11 PM PST

•  naaah, there was no threat (8+ / 0-)

The writer may have been a teahadist, but a very polite and fairly erudite one. And I'm sure she didn't even know about RCW 29A.56.340, which defines the civil penalty for faithless Electors in Washington.

The RCW also mandates that we be paid -- $5.00 -- and that we be compensated for mileage -- at 10 cents/mile.

Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. -- K.Marx A.Lincoln

by N in Seattle on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:21:19 PM PST

•  I disagree: the threat is real; the writer incites (10+ / 0-)

lawbreaking in the most treasonous possible way.

This is indeed a matter for the Department of Justice.

by BlackSheep1 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:24:55 PM PST

•  it happens all the time (4+ / 0-)
          bwren, ms badger, Larsstephens, Loge

As described by FairVote.org, there have been 157 faithless Electors in US history. Oh, 71 of them were actually Electors who died between Election Day and the meeting of the Electoral College, but that still leaves 86 who showed up but didn't vote for the person who won the election in their state.

To say nothing of the fact that the National Popular Vote movement, which I support, would necessitate having some entire state delegations of Electors vote for someone other than the person who won in their state.

by N in Seattle on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:43:02 PM PST

•  Call the FBI. Give them the letter. (8+ / 0-)

It IS a big deal, and it is a threat.

Float like a manhole cover, sting like a sash weight! Clean Coal Is A Clinker!

by JeffW on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:49:55 PM PST

•  it's a state matter (3+ / 0-)

The only law I'm being asked to consider violating is a Washington law. And it's a civil statute, not a criminal one. It's of no concern to the FBI.

And it can't conceivably be treason ... one cannot commit treason against the state of Washington.

There is no federal statute that relates in any way whatsoever to the actions of Electors as they carry out their role in the Electoral College. In 21 states, there aren't any state laws about it either. In 27 states and DC, faithless Electors are liable for civil fines ... if the state chooses to attempt to impose them (which it almost never does). And in MI and MN, Electors who don't vote as pledged simply have their votes declared invalid by the state.

IOW, there's no threat, no intimidation, no violation of any law.

by N in Seattle on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 08:15:20 PM PST

•  NO. JeffW is correct. (2+ / 0-)
                FG, Creosote

If you're so sure no law of any kind is violated, as you detail here, why did you post the diary?

If what you say is true, you should indeed report it to the FBI and let THEM determine whether there is a violation of federal law.

Otherwise, delete the diary.

•  why did I post??? (5+ / 0-)
                  WineRev, Loge, golem, Sailorben, Garrett

Who are you to demand that I justify my decision to write a diary? Why would I have to justify it to anyone whatsoever?

But, silly me, I will anyway:

• I'd long planned to preview my upcoming solemn duty as part of the Electoral College.
                  • I thought the tale of the oddball letter would be a good "hook".
                  • I found the very idea that someone believed they could convince a Democrat committed enough to be an Elector to do something as ridiculous as vote for Romney highly amusing, in a sardonic sense.

I have never, not even for a microsecond, perceived the slightest whisper of a threat in this letter.

It will be interesting to hear what my fellow Electors/Alternates have to say about the letter (I'm assuming that all 332 Democratic Electors and their Alternates got the same letter, but maybe I'm wrong).

by N in Seattle on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 11:24:58 PM PST

•  Thus, all you are doing is promoting your (0+ / 0-)

status as an elector, not actually writing about any real issue. You should delete the diary. It reflects poorly on you, and does not advance any interests of this site or the Democratic Party.

Sorry to sound harsh.  It's not personal.  I just think you're making a big error in judgment here.

•  It's not in any way treasonous... (1+ / 0-)
          N in Seattle

...to be a faithless elector.

Wrong, ridiculous, idiotic... but completely within the bounds of the Constitution.

by JamesGG on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 06:58:18 AM PST

•  It doesn't matter if it wasn't a threat (11+ / 0-)

It's someone trying to convince you to break the law, It's someone trying to interfere with the election.
        And I'd practically guarantee that this was not one sweet little old lady in Anaheim.
        Which would make it a conspiracy. And across state lines, a couple times, makes it federal.
        Jeff is right, get it to the FBI.
        If you have any question, ask your supervisor or contact person in the election office how to handle it.
        Your position as an alternate, possibly one of 538 people in the entire country, that actually carries out the will of the people. Right now you are a Very Important Person and should not be subject to blandishments or entreaties, Much less threats or offers.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 07:51:31 PM PST

•  Look (3+ / 0-)

There's no Federal statute being violated, hence no Federal jurisdiction. Apparently, the State Law doesn't even address the question of soliciting someone to become a faithless elector. Like it or not, there's simply no grounds for the Feds to get involved based on the applicable law.

Nothing human is alien to me.

by WB Reeves on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 09:12:29 PM PST

•  if they'd offered to pay me, or... (0+ / 0-)

...cover any fine I might incur, or if they'd said they would come after me if I didn't do what they said, that would be a potential crime on their part. Attempted bribery, extortion, stuff like that.

But there was nothing of the sort. It was just some pleading from a disillusioned and disappointed person or group, based largely on the lies perpetrated by RW media.

by N in Seattle on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 09:23:36 PM PST

•  the fine is probably unconstitutional (0+ / 0-)

by the way, I think Ron Paul gets at least 1.5 EV's.

Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult.

by Loge on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 05:51:59 AM PST

• Health Care (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (18)
  • International (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site